Slide Rules | FerrariChat

Slide Rules

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TimN88, Mar 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Does anyone own and/or use one? I've been looking at them on Ebay for a while now and think i might want one. Even though i have no clue how to use one, i think it would be cool to own. I'd definately go through the trouble to learn how to use one if i owned one...id even use it too. I wonder what one of the older professors would think if i pulled one out during a thermo test and started using it.

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The most important rule of sliding is DON'T let off the gas.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Tim,

Ok, do't laugh but my dad kinda collects them. He can use a slide rule and compute in his head faster than most people can input data into a computer! My dad is AMAZING at mathematical equasions! Truly a brilliant man.

As for where to find them, just keep searching the web as they are out there. Am sure a few engineer stores still carry them as well.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#4 dm_n_stuff, Mar 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wait..............................

I'm having a painful flashback. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

it's the late 60's all over again. But now, I can remember them.

Slide rule? Slide Rule?? Do you know how thrilled I was in 1973 when TI made a very expensive calculator so I could ditch the slide rule?

The calculator I boughtfFreshman year in college for about $200, as I vaguely recall, can now be had with more features for about $10, but it beat using a slide rule.

Having said all that, I too find the prospect of using, or being able to use, a slide rule kind of wierdly cool. I guess the same geek thing that makes cars so attractive to all of us makes this stuff seem good, too.

Ebay has 600+ matching items.

GRAB ONE.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Speaking of calculators, i also think i should locate a RPN calculator. One of my professors is a cheif engineer at GE power systems and he brought in an old hewlet packard reverse polish notation calculator. Its too bad they were the only company to make such calculators (that im aware of).

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I actually have and use that kind of HP calculator at work which I bought back in 1980 something. Believe it ir not, I've only changed the batteries once.

I think there are others out there, I know I've used a TI that used RPN in the way past.

7. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Actually the next calculator i will buy will probably be one from HP. Their graphing calculators use rpn in addition to regular (i dont know what the name for 'regular' is) entry. They also have a vast array of engineering equations (half of which i probably will never use) in the memory, which is over 1MB!! the texas instruments one i use now only has 30,000. (doenst say what it is in the mem management menu, but i guess its bytes).