550 seats removal | FerrariChat

550 seats removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ze_shark, Jan 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Anyone here has already removed 550 seats ?
    At first sight, mounting seems similar to the 355 with 1 front/rear screws per rail, actually way simpler than my Audi. Any tricks or gotchas in the process ?

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    C'mon guys, there must be someone doing some basic work on Maranellos here ? Pleeeze ?

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Simple.

Power the seat rearward, remove shallow 6mm hex screws. Power the seat forward, repeat. Careful to keep the tool perfectly perpendicular, else you'll strip the screw heads (and we all know how painful that can be.)

Now disconnect the electrical connector under the seat, tip the seat to facilitate.

Now's the difficult part, the seat weighs 60 lb or more! Protect the sill and paint if you don't trust your strength. Careful maneuvering will prevent scratches.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Huh, removing the 4 6mm allen screws did not get me far, not even too sure what they're here for since there are other screws and the whole power seat motor mumbo jumbo which looks fairly complex.
    I can even see electrical connections which have straps on which would have to be cut.

All of a sudden, I am much more in the mood to do my leather with the seats in the car ...

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Ok found the right screws, apologies. Must be jetlag.
    The seats weigh 31kg each, humpf ...

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You pulled the seats out to do the leather? Alright... Shark ... you are certifiable, sir!

--Dan

7. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Removing the seats turned out to be relatively easy, although the power seat connectors proved a bit difficult to unlatch. Putting the seats back almost drove me nuts. Nothing's straight in these cars, and fitting the 4 screws on both seats proved to be an italian version of chinese torture.

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Impressive, sir.

--Dan

9. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I took the two front Allen bolts off of my 456 and the holes immediately became misaligned - it must take 3 guys and a monkey at the factory to get those seats in! I'm going to do the job someday and get the $6 in quarters that are trapped in the rails.

10. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Funny you say that, in the course of messing around with the seats, I found 5.6 swiss francs (a bit less than 5 bucks), left by the previous owner, trapped between the rails and the transmission tunnel.
    Anyhow, hunting for some lost coins is not worth the sweat of getting the 4 screws back in.