355 Final Drive Ratio? | FerrariChat

355 Final Drive Ratio?

Discussion in '348/355' started by DrewH, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    When I used too soup cars when I was younger one of the first thing that I would change was the rear end. (ie. 5.0 mustangs came stock with 273.1 or 308.1 ratios) I would change them to 373.1 which would make the car much faster off the line and up to 100mph.

Can I lower the ratio in my 355 the same way? I would never drive over 100MPH on the street (especially around the city wher I live) but would like to get to 100MPH quicker.

DrewH

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Of course you mean 2.73:1 not 273.1

There are 3 gears used to determine the actual "final" drive ratio of 4.41; crown gear, spur gear, transfer gear.

The crown gear is often called the drop gear. Yes, you can change them. Just find a machinest who can do presision 'involute' gear tooth work on forged 4340 steel, and have him machine up what you want. Along with dropping the transmission and putting it back in the car, you should be able to get this gear changed for around $8000 or so.

3. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Very good question...I have often wondered this too. I just hope someone answers differently than Mitch...ouch!

4. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm surprised "Koenig" or someone doesn't sell different ratio's?

DrewH

5. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    I can do different ratios. Limitations for ratios are only the gearbox case dimmensions. The gear is not expensive, typically less than $1000 for a custom spur gear. Figure perhaps eight hours for trans R&R from the car, then about 16 or so more to R&R the gear.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn