Question about Operating Systems (XP home..) | FerrariChat

Question about Operating Systems (XP home..)

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SefacHotRodder, Mar 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm rebuilding my computer soon and i'm completely erasing everything and starting with a clean slate (i'll back up my important stuff). My sister recently got a new e-machines computer and my dad a sony vaio and they came with xp home cds. My dads is opened and i think he installed xp on his, but my sisters computer came with xp and the cd is un-opened (i only found it a few weeks ago, i had no idea it came with it). The question is: Since my xp was an upgrade and it messed up and didn't copy over the old 98 os (and i don't have the 98 cd's), can i use her cd to install a full xp onto my new custom computer? It is made specifically for e-machines? I know about oem cd's and all that, i'm just making sure.

Help would be appreciated

Cheers

Chris

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Chris,

You should be fine - as long as it was not used by your sister... XP has a new way to ensure only one copy is used - it actually goes online and logs that liscense... So if it was not used - you should be good.

The version they use on the e-machines is probably XP Home edition - which is fine unless you are doing server side development, etc.

Hope that Helps,
    Rich Wallace
    IT Professional

3. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Does her CD appear to suggest a Sony-modified OS or is it straight from Microsoft? If the latter, you can probably use it on any PC. If it appears to be something from Sony, then you may be out of luck.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    you can go online and crack the code and use any XP disc as many times as you need to. i have 4 computers total, most are test and tune types i play with, since i am still in the learning stages. i even did the sevice pack 1 upgrade and my xp worked fine. if you legally own a copy , use it as you need to. just my .02

5. ART360

ART360 Guest

If they catch you, its 50k if they want to be sticklers about that. XP does go on line, and if they do catch you, it'll be a lot more than just buying the program. Think about it, and think about whose on this chat.

Art

6. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    sorry, let me clear a few things up:

the cd is for xp home. i don't care about that when its free :D

the cd is UNOPENED, as far as i know, its never been used. Still shrinkwraped

it is for the e-machines, not the sony.

cheers

7. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    Hi i personally own an e-machine and the disks that came for my computer are Recovery disks.. meaning that they will install winXP and the default features for certain range of emachine models. I've never tried it on another computer but i have the feeling that it wont work. Since is not really considered a real Windows XP disk, i learned this when once my computer had a problem and the only solution given after 5 hours on the phone talking with microsoft engineers was to use the WinXp cd but the one that you buy at the store.. not the recovery disk since this will format your computer, not fix problems. But you might want to check if it says Recover Disk maybe they changed the disks in the last months.

8. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i thought it was a restore cd too, but it says nothing on it about it being a restore cd.

let me go take some pix..

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    pics. The label in pic #2 worries me, i couldn't seem to find the certificate. Should it literaly be ON the computer?

10. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

I think you will not be able to install this CD without some serious hacking.

11. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    dammit. Thanks anyway. 1 more thing: how do i find out my serial for windows 98? my computer lists my xp serial. When i upgraded outlook 2000 was lost and it won't install without the 98 serial.

btw, anyone have any "connections" that can get me xp pro for cheap :D

Cheers

12. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    OK - here is some clarification to some of the comments... From someone who works in Software/Services.

1.) XP for e-machines - is just a branded XP - just like for Dell, Sony, Compaq, etc. This OS will work on any pc - they all have the same basic components and Intel or Celeron processors - Do not think that any OS maker would take the time to create a special for each maker - the hardware is all standardized to allow for uniformity. They are also not recovery disks (Though most pc makers also ship recovery disks) - every new PC sold in the US - must be sold with an OS and the copy of the software - provided it was bought new and in a store - not grey market or second. You cannot purchase - for instance a dell without the OS - legislation in (I think 1997) prohibited this due to software OS companies - were getting ripped off. (need I say who pushed this legislation? MS)

2.) You should have a little orange sticker for the OS either on the OS CD Cover, Inside - or on the original PC bundle that it came with - you have to have this to install - without it you will have to hack - and that is as others mentioned not the best way to go. You can install it - and they will give you a number to call if you cannot verify via online - if this hasn't been installed you can tell the MS operator (which is actually an India Call Center) that you lost it or do not have it - and they may give you a valid code - no harm no foul if it is not installed...

3.) I think the XP Professional Version which is one step up from the Home version and one Below the Enterprise Version - Retails at Best Buy for $99.

Hope that helps..

13. djoex

djoex Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe Yeung
    Do you actually have a cd of Win Xp upgrade? if so and if the new computer is clean (No Operating System) you could use that cd, it will prompt you to insert the cd of your previous version of windows for verification and then follow the instructions.. i think that might work.

By the way i just re-read the e-machine cd and it says only for e-machines and still there is a difference between retail windows xp (home or pro) and the ones that come with most computers.... the retail windows have features such a recovery console that will fix errors of the of the operating system i.e. some registry got messed up the "recovery/restore" disks or partitions that come with regular computers dont have this function and have special licenses/features for a range of products ie. (dvd player software, encarta, MS Works,etc) which the regular retail windows dont have. The product key is in fact either a sticker in a small piece of paper or/and in the back,side of a PC or in the back,side or bottom of a notebook.

14. EVelasco

EVelasco Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    As stated above this, but just confirming it, as I have done so. If you have an upgrade CD. All you have to do is boot with the WinXP Upgrade CD. It will check if a previous install of any Windows exists or not. If it already exists, it will continue with installation. If it does not exist, it will ask you to put any previous Windows CD. It will NOT ask you for the serial of the OLD Windows. It just checks that you have a CD. Then it will ask you to put the WinXP Upgrade CD back in the drive. Then it will install.

15. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So what happens then, if you install a copy of XP, and that computer completely dies? Can I not install it on a new machine I build? I own the license, so legally I should. But if it's logged at MS, then you're kinda screwed.

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

17. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

that was my point.... not to copy , sell or distribute the product, only to use it on several computers the 1 person owns. i have even installed " service pack 1" and not had any problems. win XP is a great system. i think i have like 3 discs of it now in case the one i am running dies.seems to me if you purchased the product you can use it on whatever you buy / build. i will have my MONSTER pc done in the next few weeks i hope.

for ( legal ) XP performance tweaking , goto www.blkviper.com go to WINXP/SERVICES/411 follow the direction line by line.i appriciate the 50k warnings and all , i was not intending to condone any illegal actions.i have had several pc's wiped out by virus's , so i built a few with mods to compensate.... still learning though . my TACTICAL Avionics SAT/COM training comes in handy!!!!

18. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    geeze check out the section on worms.......... ouch

19. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  20. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks guys. If i put in my upgrade cd, and it asks me for the original cd, can i put in one of the quick restore cds? I KNOW i don't have the original 98 cd.

Cheers

21. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    hey man I have a e-machines with the same disk as in the picture, it is a restore cd, and it is an image of xp+ a bunch of programs (icq, dvd, bunch of other crap that needs deleting) and I'm quite sure that it won't work on a non similar computer (e-machines with same/very similar specs).

22. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

A great site for finding cheap stuff is
    http://www.techbargains.com/

They have full XP Pro for $193, upgrade for $170.

If someone does know here XP Pro can be found for $99, I'd like to know too! Best Buy price for upgrade version is $200.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat01121&navHistory=cat00000%2Bcat01000%2Bcat01081&type=category&navLevel=4

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If you describe your Serial# (Product Key) as having been found at - My Computer>(Right Click)>Properties or Start>Settings>Control Panel>System - that's an Installation ID#, not a Serial#/Product Key. PC won't "broadcast" Serial#/Product Key to John Q. Public, as neither the Product Key nor the Product ID is stored after the validation check.

Microsoft Product Activation aka MPA - (anti-piracy) is found on the following MicroShaft Products:
    Microsoft Office XP (and single programs such as Word 2002), Windows XP, Microsoft Visio 2002, Microsoft FrontPage 2002, and Microsoft Project 2002.

In terms of User-specific machines (eMachines, etc.) - there are 10 different criteria checked against hash values when installing any of the above:
    Display adapter | SCSI adapter | IDE adapter | Network adapter media access control address | RAM amount range (for example, 0-64MB or 64-128MB) | Processor type | Processor serial number | Hard disk device | Hard disk volume serial number | CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive

Thus explains the ridiculous need to update registration each time components are upgraded - certainly if you have to reformat the hard disk. Even if you clone the hard disk, it still compares to see if there's any significant difference.

Where to go to see if you can get your info based on your Installation ID#.