Elise keeping up with F40 | FerrariChat

Elise keeping up with F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by F SPIDER, Mar 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
  2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The only thing about videos like this is that you don't know how hard everyone is pushing or how modded the cars are or are not.

Then again, any chance to see and hear an F-car on the track and I am suckered in!:)

3. ilivas

ilivas Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    the elise is one of the best handling cars in the world. It's a real steal for the price. I think the new version 180hp version coming will be able to show up many exotics.

4. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
  5. teflon

teflon Formula Junior

May 16, 2003
    Full Name:
    Greg A
    This video is several years old. It is so hard to make any comparisons between the two cars considering there is so much traffic. I would not feel comfortable making some of those passes that the driver of the F40 made.

Greg A

6. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Some of the overtaking moves in that film were dreadful... really risky!

The elise is a very good car, handles like a dream, they're very popular over here in England. The driver seems pretty committed whereas the F40 could not be pushing it. Both good cars, but the F40 would kill the Elise if all other parameters were equal.

all IMO

7. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    The Elise driver is pushing the limits and is doing some risky overtaking. But still, I think it must have exhilarating for the Lotus driver and frustrating for the F40 driver (like a musquito that keeps bothering you). It's amazing how different the racing line is, and how late the Elise can brake.

I do not pretend to be anywhere close to the capabilities of the Elise driver, but I just love the feeling of the Elise on secondary curvy roads.

Rijk

8. Tifosi1

Tifosi1 Formula 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Pearl River, LA
    Full Name:
    Kelly J. Vince
    What track wsa this filmed at?????

9. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

Exact question I was going to say. They're turning right on the banking... very rare in the states, but then the license plates say anywhere but America. Anyone know?

10. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Also is anyone familiar with the Elise dash? What is the little red light? Thanks everyone.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If im correct this video is from an Elise chasing an F40 around Monthlery. Monthlery is soo old and in terrible stat that it will be closed to all activity next year. Driving an F40 or any expensive fast car on this track takes a lot of balls ..its really bumpy ..with even a few holes.

12. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Andrew,
    You should get an Elise!
    What are your thoughs?

13. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    BK,

The light is the "check engine light". Mine is also on, because of the K&N filter and the sports exhaust.

Andrew,

I don't know where it is. I've got the link from my brother. You might be right, the website is from Switserland

Rijk

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I love the Elise so much it hurts ! But they are still too expensive for my budget ..Cant be found for less than 20000 euros even for a Mk1 from 1996...

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The elise is barely keeping up to the F40. Watch it again and notice the Ferrari really starts to walk away from it in the end. The f40 driver at the begining of the vid seems to be taking it easy. Towards the end he starts to put the hammer down and you can see he starts to leave the little elise in the dust.

But I must say that Lotus sure can handel!!

16. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    The track is Monthlery indeed. The Elise has the upper hand in the corners due to its enormous weight advantage. Notice how it brakes much later than all the other cars. When the F40 started the pedal to the metal approach it gained in the straights ONLY.
    But then again if I had an F40 and had to race it at the dreaded (due to its very bad state) Monthlery I wouldn't take inconsiderate chances...

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Very impressive cars those little elises.

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Those Elises are wonderful little cars.

19. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    I've seen an Elise racing against an 456GTM at Zolder (Belgium) a couple of years ago. The Elise was a littlebit faster as the F-car, but Zolder does have more corners. The Elise is much better as an F-car in the cornors, but on straights you can clearly see that F-cars are much more powerful and faster.
    You can clearly see this in the video.

But without the traffic, the gap would have been much bigger. Because the Elise driver really takes a lot of riskes.

Great movie BTW.

20. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    Man i would have loved to see that race! wow that was awesome, im saving this one to show my friends ^_^

21. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Zack
    The Elise is an impressive car for the money. However, it doesn't seem like the F40 was working very hard :-/.

22. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    478 hp and 2700lb against +/- 200hp? and 1750lb

23. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    This video just goes to show that all the so called track times/0-60/1/4mile times etc. used to compare cars such as lambo's or ferraris are really not relevant at all in the real world. How many threads/replies have been written on this site ie regarding the differences between say murcies/575's or gallardos/360/stradales with respect to the above parameters, using these to support or undermine the so called superiority of a given vehicle. Well it's all crap! It always boils down to the driver. And I don't ever want to hear the argument used that says "the above stats are relevant when you have two drivers of the same ability" because in the real world this never happens! No two drivers are ever exactly the same and conditions are always different at any given moment. So even in something as simple as a straight drag race you can never say that I will win because I am 1 or 2 secs faster on paper than the other guy! All you need to do is spin the wheel a couple of seconds more, miss the shift and you've lost. This is even more relevant when you're actually having a proper race where there are more things for you to cock up and lose time. The F40 driver I feel from looking at the video was not in fact cruising but actually trying.In fact he was faster and I presume he did beat the lotus at the end of the race. Of course full marks to the Lotus driver as well. But remember if you were doing a "paper race" you would have expected the differences would have been quite significant between these two cars. As it turned out however it was not as big a difference as you would have imagined. Just goes to show that it's always down to the driver and not necessarily the car!

24. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Is everyone aware that the elise is not a stock one, but a seriously race prepared one?

AFAIK, suspension/tire setups work huge differences which can fill big HP gaps

25. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Anyone seen the Exige XR? Not available stateside but a DELICIOUS car nonetheless.