Turn signals just died?!?! | FerrariChat

Turn signals just died?!?!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by M.James, Mar 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    So I'm driving off from the grocery store in my 308 QV.....I press down on my turn signal stalk while turning the wheel and hear a different 'click' than I'm used to hearing...and my turn signals stop working. The stalk moves, but doesn't seem to be tripping the circuit to activate the turn signal lights. The fuse in the fusebox looks fine, so I'm thinking I dislocated something mechanical at the turn signal stalk....any help on what to check, and where?

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not sure about the QV, but do the emergency flashers still work? If so try flipping the flasher switch 10 or 12 times and see if the turn signals start working again. Could be dirty contacts, worked on my 78!!

3. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    J:

You are absolutely brilliant! They're working now! What causes this strange phenomenon?

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That's why Ferraris are expensive, Michael. You pay extra for these options!

Barry

5. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    And to think I was just seconds away from tearing my steering column apart to troubleshoot.....I guess I can put my dash/fuse panel back together now.

Anyone know a good source for Stabilant 22 or other electrical contact cleaner?

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Stabilant 22 is reasonably priced at most VW dealerships. Order ahead, most don't stock it.

7. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Just go to Radio Shack or Home Depot , they have contact cleaner. I just pulled my SW because my horn button is noy working correctly. Cleaned all of the contacts while in there. You can see an oxide coating on the copper contacts. Also does anyone know who mfg's the replacement turn/light switch assembly?

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed, contact cleaner is what is needed BUT i prefer more professional stuff. Try CAIG MCL www.Caig.com . A SMALL amount goes a LONG way so DO NOT over do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use MCL on all my switches :)

PS: Check out other Ciag products. They are awesome (and as an audiophile am the more, eh hem, retentitve type when it comes to my cleaning/lube/conditioning products).

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Michael, my turn signals too had all of a sudden stopped working. I was very aggravated and was gearing myself up for a pain-in-the-ass troubleshooting project until I paused and decided to reaserch the archives. When I did, bingo, somone had posted essentially the same problem and had suggested the emergency switch try. I moved the switch once and voila, my turn signals worked. I agree, things like that make this list extrmely valuable. Dontcha just love cheap and easy fixes?

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Steven,
    The Stabilant 22 is also a proven "contact enhancer", sounds very similar to what you are recommending.

11. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Dave,

Yes, perhaps so though must admit never used Siblant 22. i seem to have this knack for finding the TRUE manufacturer of stuff (Caig allows others to use their products and re-label... as does NOVUS plastic polish). Caig really has a HUGE line of various items for different applications including those for high heat.

PLEASE use Caig SPARINGLY!!!!!! The stuff is strong :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If you're looking for a complete column switch, don't waste your time. I broke my wiper stalk 3 years ago & called around. Was told 'we haven't been able to get them in a couple of years, & BTW, the last one sold for $1500'.
    My repair experience led to me starting Unobtainium Supply Co.

Last spring someone on Fchat desperately needed one & Ferrari.uk did a world-wide search actually turned up one on a Ferrari dealer's shelf... in South Africa. That's believed to the last of the NOS ones.

Now, if you just need a wiper or turn signal stalk, or a headlight stalk repaired, Unobtainium Supply can make or repair them. Send eMAIL describing what you need to: [email protected]

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Why thank you...but actually it's the guys on here that are brilliant. I had the same thing happen and found this solution in another thread. I thought the same thing "These guys are brilliant"!!

Glad to have been able to help!

14. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Dave:

I dropped by a VW dealership here in Jacksonville FL and they've never heard of Stablant.....although, some of their special-order items are listed in German. Do you have a 'part number' for this stuff? They may actually locate it of they can cross reference a number.

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    ZVW 186 001

Like the stuff Steven is recommending, use it sparingly. I forget the price, but VW was considerably cheaper than NAPA and other sources.

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'd had my 308 about a year when the turn signals died on me. Spent about 2 hours with the owner's manual schemantics & a magnifying glass before I figured out that the hazard switch was common to both directional signals.

Flipped it twice, mostly because I was so frustrated & lo, the turn signals worked fine. Just tarnish buildup on the hazard switch. Now I try to remember to flick it on & off whenever I start out of a morning. Has kept the turn signals operating normally for 3 years or so.

It's a quirk in the same class as the built-in speed control, sloooow power windows, horn that needs occasional oiling, and balky 2nd gear when cold...

17. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Verell is sooo right. This all follows RULE 4 in the the Six Laws of owning an Italian Sports Cars:

4)THE LAW OF PERSONAL ABUSE
    "The more an Italian auto breaks down, the more endearing it becomes
    to its increasingly irrational owner." For example, you purchase an
    Italian Sports car, for all the money you ever hoped to earn, and
    receive a ticket for air pollution on the way home from the dealer due
    to the vast clouds of smoke that follow you. Several return trips to
    said dealer, accompanied by your rapidly dwindling cash reserves,
    cures the smoking. But now, the engine sounds like a food processor
    full of ball-bearings. After replacing every component in the car,
    including the radio speakers, the noise vanishes and is replaced by an
    odor reminiscent of a major fire in a goat-hair mattress factory. You
    still keep trying, G-d help you.