Header Temps | FerrariChat

Header Temps

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I purchased a Raytek gun and have been checking my header temps to work on my tuning.
    I am checking it on the old welded up "bungs" about 2" out of the block. So far I only have checked the rear and this is what I have.

1) 700 2) 780 3) 710 4) 705 --on average

This is at idle, after a 5 min mild/hard run I am a bit concerned about a possible fuel restriction on #2 but was more curious to see if anyone else has been collecting similar data. CAR: 328.....

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I suspect that the idle bleed is incorrectly set for 2). This will have a minor effect on throttle response. However, nothing is rulling out a clogged injector or bad plug.

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    well there is only (1) opening for idle air inlet modulation and all the injectors are testing OK( swapped them around a few times)
    Was hoping someone else had taken temps on their car. Might be that the header design just makes #2 hotter--or perhapps my fuel tube to #2 had a problem.hmmmmm

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Charles
    I'm no expert on EGTs, and I think you are measuring metal, not gas temps, but I thought you'd be seeking gas temps of more like 1350?
    Philip

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Phillip--this is true--but measuring the bungs does allow me to see the differences between the cylinders---for example---on my old motor it cranked up rough one morning and i suspected a fouled plug--in 15 secs i shot allthe temps and found #4 to be at 80 when all others were at 150 and climing. It is a great tool to have.

I am really more curious to see if anyone else has taken temp readings off of the headers before--also wanted to document some readings to compare with after i get ceramic coating on the headers.

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I have an infrared therm. and I can shoot my rear bank if that would help. I still have the heat sheild covering over my headers on my QV but I would be happy to take temp readings. Let me know.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    My header temps seemed strange. I used my infrared therm. and got around 1800 deg. F. I shot different areas and then got 500-600 deg. F. Then I turned the car off and got 575 or so. Any ideas? I checked my plugs and they looked ok. I will try to get a pic of them. What else could it be? Thanks.

8. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    my headers have the shrouds on them so I was shooting at the old welded up "bungs" where the probes went into them about 2" off the block.

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Do you think it is possible I got an 1800 deg F. reading? I couldn't get in there to well. My car is stock besides and ANSA exhaust.

10. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    I agree with Philip.

Using an infra red thermo is like a dog chasing it's tail, it may be entertaining, but it's not really accomplishing anything.

As an asside, this goes for taking tire temps too.

They to have there place though, and will catch a misfire as mentioned, but are not a tuning tool.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn