328 cam belts | FerrariChat

328 cam belts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rlm328, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rlm328

rlm328 Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    when changing the cam belts on the 328 is it necessary to discharge
    the a/c unit or can it be unbolted and moved to the side. I did not search the archives and am just trying to anticapate my next move on the belt
    replacement or is there a replacement procedure on the site

Thanks Robert

2. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No need to drain the a/c system you can rotate it around onto the top of the fuel tank, looks difficult but is not too bad when you get the hang of it, Some people take out the fuel tank but it is not necessary either. There is a long explanation of the procedure posted by one of the members, do a search under cam belts and you should find lots more.

3. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Robert:
    I would recommend opening the lines and removing the compressor.
    I did mine without doing this and it was doable, but it would be much easier to open the system. If I had to do it again, I would remove the compressor--you can refill with Duracool for about $7.00 a can. I modified and wrote-up a 308 procedure for the 328; I am not quite done yet, but if you email me I will send what I have to you. [email protected].
    Good Luck,
    Mark

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    There seem to be two camps. Those like me who just hang the compressor over the gas tank & it doesn't seem to be particularly in the way. I suspect the majority who have done the project hang it out of the way.

Then there are those who feel having it in the way is a big PITA & would rathar deall with purgeing & recharging the A/C system afterwards as in the previous post.

It's your project, you get to decide you'll do it.

I've posted write-ups on how to remove the compressor a couple of times, & if you're doing a belt job you should search the archives fer sure. Lots of little tricks spread out in a half dozen or so posts unfortunately.

5. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    As Verell says there are two ways of attacking the cam-belt change, but also consider the fact that the freon and the a/c filter should be serviced on a regular basis, so you could incorporate this in with your cambelt change if you take the option and remove the compressor.

MW