Ralf's also close to signing with Toyota | FerrariChat

Ralf's also close to signing with Toyota

Discussion in 'F1' started by F1racer, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    http://www.planet-f1.com/Home/story_14647.shtml

14/03/04
    Ralf Schumacher appears to be on the verge of signing with every team except his current one, Williams, for next year.

Earlier this week the German's manager Willi Weber announced that Ralf was only a signature away from joining Renault when his Williams contract expires at the end of this season. However, Renault team boss Flavio Briatore rubbished Weber's comments saying that he'd never even spoken to Ralf about him joining the team.

But Ralf need not worry if Weber's words do turn out to be false because he is also moving to Toyota for 2005. According to Revved Up the 28-year-old is ready to put his signature on a deal with the Cologne-based team worth around £12 million. The two parties reached an agreement after several secret meetings.

A Toyota insider told Revved Up: "Ralf has been having meeting after meeting with the team to iron out a deal and he's now ready to sign."
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    -I could just see Willi Weber and Ralf not finding a good F1 team and the only team left is Minardi. :D I know it will never happen ...anyway Good luck Ralf!

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ralf flirting with Toyota is not new and Toyota is the most likely place he'll end up next year if he won't find an agreement with Williams.

Toyota being a German team (here I go again), he would fit in perfectly. Williams is never keen on paying a driver top dollars, so Ralf or rather Webber (did I mention that I hate that guy?) is using Toyota for pressure.

The Renault deal came (at least for me) out of nowhere and I was very surprised. Probably just another Webber charade to leverage against Williams. As fast as it came up it disappeared.

I don't know where Ralf is headed, but if I had to bed I'd say he is going to Toyota. Either way, I really don't care.

3. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Nobody does.

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hey! I care! O, wait... no I don't.

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I still say it will be Ralf and JV at Minardi in 05.

6. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I heard a rumor he was going to sign to drive the safety car next year.:)

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually he is signing with Ferrari to drive there truck, but it's all speculation at this point and there pretty happy with there current one.

8. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    This just further re-inforces my belief that Ralph, although quite talented, has never had what it takes to be a Champion. He's just following the money and this proves to me that he knows he can't beat the best on a consistent basis.

Why on earth would he leave Williams, where the car has a chance to win the title and go to Toyota where if they are lucky the car might be a contender in 5 years.

There is only one reason to leave Williams for Toyota....MONEY and the fact that he knows he can't win the title with ANY TEAM!!!!

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

9. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I agree a real racer would take a pay cut to stay towards the front of the grid.Renault isn't the worst move in the world but I wouldn't want to go from Williams to toyota unless you weere forced out.

10. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Ralf is very much the German version of DC, wins a few races but is more of a promise than a threat....

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I agree, he has had the benefit of his brother's coattails.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually he can smile. And he is a nice chap, I met him once at the USGP, where I took this shot. But I think Jon (once again) hit the nail on its head: Racing for money instead of the title. Kinda sad.

14. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    I really think this would be a savvy move for Ralf, as it is gernerally felt that Toyota will eventually win in F1. I would like to see Ralf there, and maybe Coulthard alongside, with Da Matta at Williams......

Silly season is starting early this year.....

hps

15. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Look at Ralph's performances last year, and in the past when the car he was driving was not perfect (minor problems). When the car was perfect he was as fast as JPM when it wasn't he was badly behind. Look at Magny Cours and then look at some races where he couldn't crack thetop 10.

The Toyoya isn't going to be anywhere near perfect for quite some time and Ralph is no development driver.

Jon

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    My opinion of Ralf has always been that he's not much more than just an adequate driver, in F1 terms of course. If he ends up at Toyota and takes them to the top, thus proving me wrong, then cheers to 'ol Ralfie-boy. Don't think it will happen, but we'll see.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Williams are struggling because they have 2 drivers that cannot develop a car!

Damon Hill was a better driver than Ralph, as he could take a good car to a win and he was also one of the best development drivers.

Infact why Jordan do not throw Damon a couple of million a year to be a test driver is beyond me ... er, actually it is not beyond me, it just confirms that Jordan are not serious.

DH was not a racing driver, but neither is Ralph, and like many other drivers Ralph does not belong in F1. RS would never, ever have been considered as a F1 driver if the team managers had not been hoping for a MS copy ... unfortunately they did not get anywhere near that.

Pete

18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Ralf is the perfect evidence that, given time, F1 is easier to acclimate into than in years gone by. He was reckless and erratic when he first broke into the sport. Now, he's just erratic. Once again, he does an adequate job as a driver. But is he irreplaceable? Definitely not. Try this test: Pretend you're a team owner and are looking for a current driver around whom you will build your team to take it to the top. Now, what number is Ralf on that list? Is he top 5? Top 10 even? I hope this whole thing allows Mark Webber to improve his situation by moving to Williams.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Is that wishful thinking or did you hear something to that regard? I haven't heard, that Webber was slated for a Williams seat. Button is.

20. bmwmpower48

bmwmpower48 Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Josh Kinard
    JPM is leaving too... remember he is going to McLaren. So that leaves two open seats at Williams unless they have someone lined up to replace JPM already. I would say Button will be there next year but who else?

21. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    A couple weeks ago Autosport said that Frank Williams is very keen on Webber and will probably pursue him for '05.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't you wish now you had bought some of the Webber stocks? Darn.

23. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Did Webber do that too, like Justin Wilson?

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm, maybe I got them mixed up. I thought Webber did it, not Wilson, but very possible, that I got it backwards.

25. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    It was Wilson. Webber comes with some pretty good funding.

Regards,

Jon