F355 GTS roof ... | FerrariChat

F355 GTS roof ...

Discussion in '348/355' started by W00dEar, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    When you take the roof off, do you carry it somewhere in the car when your drive? Or it has to be left behind?
    My old NSX-T you put it under engine cover when you go open air, is the GTS like that too or no?

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think you may just put it behind the seats... not sure though.

albert328gts likes this.
  3. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Fits right behind the seats.. barely takes up any room. I'm 6'5" and squeeze right in even with the top behind the seats.

-R

albert328gts likes this.
  4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Yes, the roof fits behind the seats, car is delivered with a leather cover but I never use it (makes funny leather on leather noises when moving against the seats. Had my mom sow a cloth cover instead. The roof has two pegs that fit into corresponding holes in the car's floor.

Decently designed if you are not overly tall, as the roof prevents to move the seat as far back as desirable. If you're taller than 1m85, you might be really uncomfortable.

5. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great! thanks all!
    I think I am getting the GTS out of the 355 line-up, it has the beautiful lines of the coupe, and better for performance driving, yet you can take the roof off for open-air motoring once awhile. Best of both worlds I guess.

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Have you got something lined up already?

7. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not yet.
    I do not really know what is the best channel to buy those cars. I like to use eBay as a measuring tool on pricing, and buy the car from a dealer/broker that I can visit. But it seems most of them ask like 20k higher than eBay price for a similar car.

I want a GTS, most likely with manual tranny, in red or yellow, with about 20k miles, hopfully 30k serivice is done. I am willing to pay up to 85k. Is that reasonable figure? What is the best source to find a car?

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    85K should get you a perfect one. They seem to be between 75 and 85.

9. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Ferrari of Washington has exactly what you're looking for. Red/tan 95GTS... great shape, full records, only minor flaws. Asking upper 80s... I'm sure you could get it for $85k or less though.

-R

10. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    FWIW, there is a folding cloth roof available for the 355 GTS/348ts. I had one when I had a 348, and it worked pretty well. When off, it would collapse and fit on the SHELF behind the seats, so that the seats would not have to slide forward to accomodate the hard roof. Leak resistance was not ideal, but the hardtop wasn't that great either. :) The soft top was probably my favorite mod to the 348... I'm 6'3", and fitting with the hardtop behind the seats was very, very tight and uncomfortable.

The softtops may be available from a handful of sources if you look around, have seen them sold 2nd hand for $400-$900....

vty,

--Dennis

11. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks. Although I am more of looking at '97+ for my price range, hope I can get one.

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    But '95 has more power!

13. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.

14. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    The 355's roof seems like the kind of thing that one person could handle on their own, right?

I've heard that the F50 roof is definitely a two-person job....

15. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    JYC,

When I say minor flaws, I mean minor. Mildly curbed wheels, underside of the front bumper is a bit scraped up, bubbly plastic around the a/c controls, little bit or wear on the seats... nothing huge. The leather on the dash is immaculate, paint looks great except for the small cracks at the base of the c-pillar. These are all common on 355's though.. you'll find some of these issues on most cars you see. It is fully serviced though and has all the records going back to when it was new. Plus FoW has a fantastic reputation.

Woodear,

IMO, if you're going for a car with the standard transmission, might as well get a 95. The only positive aspect of the 97 is that it's newer... the 95 has more power, sounds better, and will probably cost you less overall. Don't buy into what people say about the reliability issues, specifically the valve guides. Jon Kofod wrote up a great post after some exhaustive research into the issue. If I recall, FoW had more 97's with the valve problem than 95's.

-R

16. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    How many miles does this FoW 95 car have? I'm also looking for one... Does it have a tubi?

17. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    The 355 roof can be handled by one person though I find it a bit akward,I previously had a 328GTS and the roof on that was much easier to handle due to it being lighter and I also think that the 355 roof is bigger(not sure though)
    Dave McGuire

18. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
  19. MoeMonney

MoeMonney Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I’ve never seen the foldable soft top for the GTS. Anyone here have pictures of one and know where to get one?

20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    20 yr old thread resurrection !

Over the years there have been various threads but mainly in the context of 348 - try a search on 348 roof - my recollection is they were an official part but no longer available

21. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    #22 judd10, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    I believe C'dwic's is the official factory 348 folding roof that expands in place and overhangs over the back edge of the targa roof opening. It is compression held in place. The other version, as I understand it, is the FNA version, which has the latches in the front and fits perfectly in the opening, like the hardtop version. There are lots of threads on this, but as I understand it, Ferrari and FNA never made these for the 355.

I had purchased Daniel's (Ricambi America) personal 348 FNA folding roof over 10 years ago. It did not fit on my 355... the front didn't fit and when you force it down, the handles are no where near latching in properly. I was going to try to have a shop move the latches, but it was going to be too much work. So I eventually sold that 348 folding roof. To my surprise, I saw another one pop up at a very reasonable price last year. It was advertised as for the 355 but had the 348 latches, etc. The seller (affiliated with an east coast Ferrari dealership) swore that it was for the 355. The price was good and I figured it wouldn't fit my 355, but I could sell and at least get my $ back. To my surprise, it actually fit! So it must have been modified by someone else (A while back, I purchased a 348 black hard top that had the same fitment problems as the first 348 soft top I had)... it really did fit the 355. So my point is they exist somewhere... or it is possible to modify. I have attached the following pics:
    1) Factory OEM folding roof next to the FNA 348 folding roof that I had
    2) the recently acquired 355 folding roof on my car
    3) the underside of the recently acquired 355 folding roof.

Good luck!

View attachment 3647022 View attachment 3647023 View attachment 3647024

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.