456 article on latest FORZA | FerrariChat

456 article on latest FORZA

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by shelbee, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shelbee

shelbee Guest

It convinced me that 456 is a very good car for daily driver. Maintenance was not as bad as I thought. But I am firm with GT over GTA and definitely M model.

I noticed on page 31, showing center console, it showed 6 speed gear box but then the emblem said "456M GTA" shouldn't it be "456M GT" ??

Beautiful car by the way!!! (comment to ALANLAMBO)

Shelbee

2. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They address that in the article Doc. I thought you said you'd read it. Just a factory slip-up.

3. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Sorry, half way reading it at posting the thread.

4. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Saw your profile. Agreed with you SHIELDS is the way to go!!! Nice pair of cars!!

5. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    What is the diff between a

456 GTA
    456 GT
    456M???

6. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    GTA = Automatic - pre 1999 model year
    GT = 6 speed - pre 1999 model year
    M GT = 6speed - 1999 or greater model year
    M GTA = Auto - 1999 or greater model year

M = introduction of traction control, removal or active rear spoiler, removal of bonnet scoops, longer, pointed nose, redesigned rear armrest, silver on silver cavilino on hub caps, more torque gained through changing of firing order of pistons on engine

That's the short version there are other subtle differences and a few special edition (i.e. two tone paint , etc) that were offered but that's the major noticable things to me at least.

Wife and I want a 456M GT once we sell the 328.

-dq

7. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Which of the 4 is the "one" to get in your opinion? Seems like a pretty nice car for the dollar.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Personally, I prefer my 456GT. The hood scoops are a cool homage to the Daytona and C/4, and have some practical application when you are idling in hot weather. As for the rest of the M changes, well, at the end of the day I just don't see much difference.

One advantage to the M is the Motronic 5.2, which allows a more thorough diagnosis using the compute.

I imagine that in ten years, there will be little or no premium for an M over a GT.

BTW, I have not seen the Forza article yet-- doesn't seem to be on the newstand here yet.

9. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Don't forget as mentioned in the article that the hood is made of carbon fiber for a lighter weight on 456M (modificata).

Personally I prefer M a way much better than old 456, exterior does not look too bad but interior is very aging. i like the look of interior 456M much better.

The next thing is between GT and GTA. I test drove both cars. I think I will go with GT considering the clutch is not too hard at all.

Now just have to find the one with shields!! :)

10. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I just read the article as well and it really does make me want one. In my opinion it is the best looking modern (post F40) Ferrari. The lines are just so elegant and the interior to me is very inviting. I have always liked Ferrari 2+2s though. I definately prefer the daytona scoops over the pointy nose version (M). The other updates are nice though. I also would absolutely choose a 6-speed over an automatic.

Terry

11. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Yeah the 456 is GREAT. I highly recommend you buy one of those "beauties".

Just make sure you buy the automatic one, so that when that third rate GM tranny that it uses (yep true) fails, you get hit with a repair bill that's on the order of $40k as some have on F-chat previously. And that's IF they can find a tranny for you, apparantly they're not in production any longer and extremely rare.

God, where's my checkbook, that sounds so tempting! A repair bill that's higher than the car's value, sweet!!!

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Accurate as the figure may be, I've only seen cautions re: slushbox replacement given on F-Chat, not actual F-Chatters with 456GTA tranny failure chiming in with their personal tale of woe.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I had the pleasure of driving one and it was absolutely stunning. So much power and such a great balance and suspension. We did some bad back country roads and the suspension just swallowed it all. My 308 would have been all over the place on those roads, not this baby. Like on rails. And then the endless power and powerful brakes to go along with it. Truly a great car and so understated.

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yup. Did you note the similar lines (Windows, Rear, Profile) between the 456 and 365 GTC/4, just as the 550 followed the footprint left by the 365GTB/4? GT haters are missing half the point and 4 extra cylinders.

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting comparison. Forza mentions the reversly applied intakes from the Mythos; not sure I'm agreeing with that though, a bit far fetched.

I think the 456 is simply a beautiful and low key car. If you want Ferrari and 4 seats, this one is great. I have also driven a Mondial and that was worlds apart.

16. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Who said wants Auto??