range rover vs cayenne | Page 2 | FerrariChat

range rover vs cayenne

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 95spiderman, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    H1 will be shaking to near pieces at 75 mph on the freeway. It is a real pain to park. It is a pain to get in and out of. Interior room is pathetic.

That said, it kills anything offroad. I know someone who bought one and frequently offroads the thing. He bought a military one at auction. Carbon/Kevlar body so it isn't quite as heavy as the civilian trucks. When he is finished with a particularly messy trail he takes a hose to the interior and washes off dirt and mud. Kind of like a really big Jeep Wrangler. I'd get one if there were really foul weather days and some cool offroad trails where I lived. Slantback looks cool. :)

If you want a utilitarian car, the H1 is not it. It is about as practical as a sports car. If you want an offroad toy, then you don't have to look any further.

Cheers

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    An option from leftfield

As a hater of SUV's how amy vote would be for an Audi RS6 Avant, 450hp 4X4, More space inside than a Cayenne and surely better handling. A friend of mine brought one for his wife, but had it chipped to 515hp, now its a match for his 550 except in the wet when it eats the Fcar for breakfast!!!

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    20k oil change? Shame on you! :) While I don't doubt you know whats best for your cars, thats under the most *ideal* of circumstances. I bet if you asked your dealer what kind of service zone you are in, unless it just doesn't matter, how do you justify that interval even with 5k filter and top ups due the filter change? If your doing oil analysis, I'll take my crow medium rare please.

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=parser&act=display&tf=/features/2004overview/suvs/dollar.tmpl

To crunch some numbers, according to this article, a Cayenne will retain 56% of its value after 3 years, thats 10%, or more, depreciation than 'premium' luxury sedans IIRC. I know Jags retain 67% of their value after 3 years, a figure probably similiar to the other luxury manufacturers. And, a figure that comes with the same $89k price tag for a top of the line model as the Cayenne Turbo is at $89k. If the same percentage was applied to the big S600 sedan for example, of course it *looks* like your taking a bath but in reality, the depreciation is in line with the industry averages. The Cayenne is loosing more than a premium luxury car but not at a rate out of line with its premium SUV market segment.

I have to totally agree, if its her car, let her choose and drive as she wishes.

Sunny

4. 98wahoo

98wahoo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I don't particularly like SUV's but I am looking at Range Rovers for my next everyday car. Ever since I sold my last LR Discovery I have been more of a wagon guy but the Range Rover is such a great car. The only issue that I have is that it's a little high price-wise and I feel it's almost a little wasteful. For that reason, I am also considering another Discovery. However, that's it as far as SUV's. The rest on the list are sport wagons (is that an oxymoron?).

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    A single person taking a splash on a Cayenne is hardly the same as wholesalers and/or dealers offering discounts. I seriously doubt the common sense of someone buying a car and trading it in 5 months down the road to a dealership, of a different marque no less, and expect to not get bent over on the deal!

I'd believe 56% over 3 years is more realistic than one person's misfortune, lack of negotiation skills, or whatever you want to call, as the real average. :) I may be wrong though, thats just how I see it.

7. 98wahoo

98wahoo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I never claimed they were the same thing. I said I heard from a friend that a dealership where he lived in chicago had deep discounts on cayennes...I don't think the trade-in value of these cars are going to be that great, and this anecdote seems to back that up. Perhaps others will get better deals when they go to get rid of them. I am of the opinion that dealers will have to discount them to move them (especially as most articles seem to suggest buying the touareg instead), and that dealers aren't going to want them on trade. Surprisingly, I don't think they'll have as many problems moving the low end 6cyl. when that comes out, but again, I think the residual on that will be pretty low too.

8. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I have a lease on a Cayenne Turbo for four years and the residual on the car is 63%.

When I looked at the lease for a X5 4.6is, the residual was 56% after 3 years.

On the 760 Li the residual was 38% after 3 years!!

My lease payments on the TT are only $150/month higher than they were on the X5.

So, I guess I don't have such a bad deal.

Never mind that the car is just wonderfull to drive. It is quite something to be able to keep up with an M3, all the way to 100mph.

Rijk

9. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    98, my comments were in dispute of that article. We've all heard trade in horror stories. How often do you hear someone who worked out a genuine good deal, meaning, close to private sale prices on a trade in? Maser's are selling with big discounts too. Quattroporte buyers beware. :)

Lets not let sticker shock obscure that anyone trading in a practically new car is going eat that first year plus the dealership profit margin, and if they are shrewd, a large profit margin. How much residual do people want for a $100k SUV? It ain't no Land Rover. You gotta work long and hard to be on top of the residual ladder.

Anyone buying a used car ask to see the jacket? If they are having problems moving them, this will be easier to do than with other cars. Cars on lot cost money, period. Bend them, they will sell.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Sunny
    Re 20K oil. I changed the oil in the Cayenne @ 5K miles. (There was only 1 quart added during the first 5K miles) The oil was so clean you couldn't see it. (Mobil 0-40) I change the oil in my MK-IV every 1000 miles and it is BLACK. ( All 23 quarts). I know this isn't very scientific but I bet you could go 20K in the Cayenne without hurting it. As for 100k before ANY engine service compare that to your F car.
    I've always found buying something new and driving it until metal fatigue sets in is the best way to beat depreciation. When I sell em they are done. ( I'm talking about my daily drivers)

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thats very impressive. I haven't owned cars long enough to have felt a depreciation hit we're talking about here. The Cayenne sounds like a very well engineered SUV throughout. My oil is also black and I use I use 15w50 Mobil 1 syn changed out every 2,500-3,000mi. 23 quarts? I bet thats fun to drain!

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani

when did I say they were not selling well?

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I responded to the wrong person meant to respond to Jeff M
    "That being said, Cayennes aren't selling very well,"
    Sorry.

14. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    I agree with Napolis..........depreciation only matters if you plan on selling. To get your "money's worth" out of almost any car....keep it. Maintain it and drive it until it's done........these are all expendible goods. Even if you keep it 5 or 6 years you should be able to reverse the "negative equity", but why worry about depreciation, if you plan on buying a car then selling it 5 months later.........don't buy it to begin with.

15. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

That was a quote from 98 Wahoo. My statement was that I thought there was no way that the turbos are being discounted 20k by any dealer. I don't know how the sales are going however.

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Jeff
    This new software re "Quotes" is a bit OTT. Sorry