Test drove a Jaguar XK8 Coupe - YUCK! | FerrariChat

Test drove a Jaguar XK8 Coupe - YUCK!

Discussion in 'British' started by kdross, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Last week I test drove a Jaguar XK8 Coupe. I always liked the styling of the car and wanted to see how it drove for a daily driver. In short, the car sucks. The engine looked and drove like a Ford Tarus. It was not the silky smooth jaguar engine of the past (pre-Ford). The interior looked cheap (especially the dash and controls), and the suspension did not seem to be up to the job. The only thing postive I can say about the car is that the styling is great, and the engine has lots of low end grunt and is quick. I really wanted to like the car, but it appears Ford has killed this car. Too bad.

Ken

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The XKR isn't bad, I'd go for an E type though :) Thats a real 100% Shaguar

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    E type V12 rocks!!!!!

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

We just sold a 97 XK8 with 48900 miles......black on black.......it's the sexiest "old" car that I have ever seen in a long time which looks as good to me as it did when it first came out.......the new car is 100K CAD so you don't get many out there that are used.

That means no chance to drive one that often. I drove this car and was not impressed or for that matter underwhelmed either.

For what the used one cost though.....I could easily live with it....just being able to look at it every day would be enough for me........

5. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Even though the car (XK8) looks great, the engine just sucks. I know of 3-4 people who purchases a XK8 last year only to sell it several months later. They all hated the car. One of the few non Ferraris that I would purchase as a "Sunday" car is the E type. The E type has always been one of my all time favorites.

Ken

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I think the rear end gearing in the cars is their weakest point......it's a real highway setup....that's for sure.

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I agree. I think the target demographic is the 55-60 year old country club set. Lots of style, no sport. E-type is the real one, but not the V12! the straight 6 as God intended!!!!! Less weight, better handling (kind of)and did I mention the bumpers? mdstrib

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The new cars are soft.

E-type all the way. While in a straight line the newer car will win, properly driven, they will go head to head on a slalom course and in some cases, the E-Types can turn in better numbers. In 30 years, Jaguar hasn't been able to produce a car that can out perform the E-Type in the blend of looks, performance, luxury, and price.

The new Jags are soft. What a pity.

Sunny

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    instead of paying near $100k for a new XKR you can contact Vicarage & they will sell you a 100% rebuilt "modern" E type for a little over $100k. I'll take a 6 cyl roadster in opalescent blue with a tan interior, YEAH BABY !!!!!!!!!

"Sex? Yes please"

10. atheyg

atheyg Guest

My gf and I were visiting Newport Beach last summer and she almost bought one, a British racing green convertible XK8 . I test drove it and it felt like a very soft sprung, heavy, cushy personal car, overassisted power steering and a uninspiring silent engine, the car did get a lot of looks though, too bad as the car does look nice in both exterior and interior.

11. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    ditto here!

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    "Do I make you horny baby? Well...do I?"

13. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Ken,

Perhaps you should consider an XKR. More horses, stiffer suspension, etc. The XK8 is clearly geared toward the "country club" set. BTW, the new XJ8 and XJR sedans are quite good. Tremendous improvements compared to the previous series/iteration.