Manhattan Motorcars? | FerrariChat

Manhattan Motorcars?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by noahlh, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    This came up over lunch yesterday, and I'm just curious about it:

What's the deal with Manhattan Motorcars? I have _never_ heard a single positive thing said about the company. Every time they come up in conversation (with dealers, with enthusiasts, with buyers, and with sellers), I get the same type of response -- a roll of the eyes, a cringe, a head shake, etc.

The words that have been used to describe them include scumbags, dirtbags and several other types of bags that I shouldn't mention on here.

Even a New York Times mention this past week was less-than-glowing ("My principal contact, well on his way to reeling in a big fish, refused to make eye contact with me." ... "three men who looked like extras from 'The Sopranos' were appraising some of the finer cars on display.")

Anyone have any experiences with them, or know more specifically why they have such a terrible reputation?

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    A friend of mine just got a new CLK320 from them, but I don't think had any personal contact with the dealers. I think it was all done over the phone. So, I don't know.

I DID, however, see the guy interviewed for the MTV "how to be a baller" or "how to live life rich" or something like that in the car segment. He had a curly haired mullet, and he was talking about putting in entertainment systems and nav. and chrome wheels... and how "you see how you can get a $200,000 up to $300,000 very easily."

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Excerpt from article in NYTimes, published in hardcopy today (March 14, 2004):

... "On to Manhattan Motorcars, and the Phantom. Manhattan Motorcars, on 11th Avenue, deals in brutally expensive prestige and high-performance cars, displayed in a no-frills setting. On the showroom floor, Bentleys rub fenders with Porsches, Lamborghinis and the occasional Lotus or Saleen. The salesmen here are salesmen. The atmosphere is fragrant with the heady aroma of testosterone, new-car leather and money. Many a pinky ring, one feels, has passed through its doors. The sales crew, selling hard, made it clear that catering to the press was fairly low on the list of priorities. My principal contact, well on his way to reeling in a big fish, refused to make eye contact with me. Finally, a salesman with a mahogany tan and a shark's-tooth necklace led me and Mr. Bilhuber to a freight elevator and took us to the Phantom, four floors up, where three men who looked like extras from "The Sopranos" were appraising some of the finer cars on display.

"There it is," said our guide, pointing to a black-on-black Phantom. "It's unlocked. Go ahead and do whatever it is you want to do."...

4. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    owner Brain, is a good guy, I know of many situations where he's gone above and beyond what a dealer would normally do, especially with cars of that level. The building is being rennovated at this point in time to my knowledge. Manhattan motor cars has a display at the javits center every year during the autoshow, go talk to the guys there and make your own judgements.

-Rob

5. Ferrarispeed28

Ferrarispeed28 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    NY/AZ
    Full Name:
    Evan
    The people at manhattan motorcars usually our not the most friendly people. They our not renovating the dealership and our taking over that whole building and our having seperate areas for the certain car brands. I was there last satuday and it is a mess. There our cars just thrown around with windowns open allowing dust and freezing... all the keys our right of the seats of like all the cars. They have about 6 gallardo's and 3 or four mucielago's. They have 3 phantoms...... one in white was already paid for three weeks and has not yet been picked up by the owner. They have sold so far 25 RR Phantoms. They have like 40 cayenne's. They had the brand new red elise europe edition and the new one will have a toyota celica engine in it with 185 horsepower. They have a huge amount of bentley arange's in stock. They also had a 360 in navy which was a trade in..... They have the green color Lamborghini Murcielago 40th anniversary edition. The general manager is Evan is a not exactly a man you want to talk to about if you our just brosing and always has theis nasty face on. Well people tell me what you think????????

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I find it interesting that on one hand there does seem to be a substantial amount of negative buzz surrounding these guys, yet on the other hand, they do seem to be moving cars.

Jury's still out for me, but you gotta wonder...especially when a reputable paper like the NYTimes posted such strong comments.

7. red-riot

red-riot Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Bought 2 Porsches from them over the last 6 years, never had a complaint or found their service wanting. Their leasing guy (Vincent) is a great guy and usually has excellent financing deals. I don't know why they're getting a bad name- they've done nothing but right by me.

Jon

8. reggi914

reggi914 Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    Went there asking about the gallardo and was treated well, i was given a little packet about the car and felt like i was treated fine. There is however one man over there who is not very friendly. If people come just to look, he seems very cold and mean.

9. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    I guess cars like that dont have to be "sold" its all just what options you want on them

10. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    How is their pricing on the Gallardo? The other impression I've gotten of them is that they're a "if you have to ask you can't afford it" kind of place -- "either you pay us our $40k over MSRP or you can go take a walk".

What was their asking price?

11. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Just to let everyone know that they are spending large amounts of money renovating the dealership. How do i know this, because I have a business partnership with the owner of the dealership. They treat there people extreamly well, they are the only reputable dealership for high end cars in Manhattan and they don't want people to who come to look. That's what the autoshow is for! If you've got the money they want to know it, they don't want to take their time trying to sell a car to someone who isn't going to be able to buy it. Rumors are what they are, but the guys at Manhattan Motor Cars are simply the best guys to buy cars from bar-nun!

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I called them before the Murcie came out and expressed an interest. They actually called me back a couple weeks later to invite me to look at the first car they received for a customer. I met the guy from Lambo who was there to prep the car for delivery and they couldn't have been nicer. My biggest concern (apart from the sheer bulk of the car) was service, which is still an uncertainty with that marque, i think.

13. reggi914

reggi914 Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    I went a while ago and i the guy was telling me that the car starts at about $150,000 and there are options like the egear and a glass roof (which i havent seen yet). I dont think they are charging over sticker but i havent been there since. I would give them a call, last time i drove by they had a black one with what looked to be a yellow interior.