Indoor Go Kart Racing Report | FerrariChat

Indoor Go Kart Racing Report

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, I figured I had to get an idea of this place etc so we know what's ahead for our event on Saturday, March 27th at 2pm:

The short of it is: THIS PLACE ROCKS!

Obviously brand new (built last year) and highly efficient and professional: There are two indoor tracks and the karts run on fuel! Yup, on fuel, not electric. And they go like crazy. Top speed is about 35mph, which is plenty on these twisty circuits. The cars are brand new and in perfect shape. Nothing loose, very thight, very responsive, just enough power to get it sideways and nice breaks in case you need them.

I have been to go kart places in 4 different countries and seen quite a bit, but no place was ever as professional as this one. Everything is organized, clean, new and just the way it ought to be. The dressing rooms have tons of nice new suits, bella clavas, helmets and neck braces in all sizes. There are lockers for your belongings (big enough for a duffle bag).

Upstairs is not only a bar, but a full size kitchen serving real food. It is very cozy and the spectators can look through skybox like windows onto the track. The windows prevent them from smelling the fumes, which on the track are blown away with huge ventilator systems.

The karts have transponders and there are monitors everywhere to follow the action. At the end of the race you get your own personal data sheet with all the information like lap time etc and you can compare against your buddies.

Enough words, here a few pictures:
    The track area with two groups running (one on track, one ready to go at the pits). Yours truly with my friend. The bar and the pits area.

2. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, and did I mention the arcade section near the bar area? Guess what, they even have the 355 Challenge simulator, the big one with the three monitors (Ferrari Spa helped develop this game).

Also there is a big parking lot outside, so don't worry about your red car. As a matter of fact word spread fast: The barman said the drinks are on him for a lap in my car, hehe.

Speaking of drinks: Wait with them after you're done racing. They are serious about that and give you a paper "bracelet" at check in. Once you order a drink at the bar, the bracelet comes off and there goes your right for a ride. Zero tolerance.

Of course you can bring your own gear. They stared at me, so I asked them why. They were surprised to see an Eddie Irvine helmet WITH the Marlboro logos on them, hehe.

3. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Andreas,
    These karts should have 200cc Honda engines so they should be pretty quick. The track also looks wide enough for "overtaking" if the opportunity arises. I'd better go on a diet or many may be overtaking me.

If the weather holds with no more snow, I'll take my 308 to the event. The front spoiler is not finished yet, but looks ok, just not clear coated.
    Dave

4. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    WOW! We are in trouble... So, Andreas is there before all of us getting us to it.... NOT FAIR!! :( How do you tell who's who there?? We will all look the same.... I think we each need to bring a different color bandana and tie it on our arm, then when we watch the video of us all, we can tell whos who.....

I am getting sieked now.... :) Can i put my 328 on the track??? :)

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is amazing how narrow the track looks once you're on it at speed. While driving I thought there were hardly any passing areas, but that's not true. There are at least two places, but it ain't easy, especially if the person ahead doesn't want you to.

Track Marshalls monitor every move and hand out warning and penalties. Penalites invite you to a refreshing word with the race manager in the pits to go over some of the rules (there is a 10 minute video ahead of the race). I got a warning for swapping ends. A warning just needs to be acknowledged.

My buddy did get one of these one on one discussions. He is a successful amateur oval racer and was overdriving his car a bit. Struggled with the powersliding of road courses and they invited him for a brief tech session.

Tod, technically you could get the 328 onto the track, they have wide doors for ventilation, but the turns are so twisty, no fun.

As for telling us apart: True, that is an issue without your own gear. Although the karts do have numbers on them. But if you have your own helmet, then bring it. That makes racing for us more fun too.