Daily Driver? | FerrariChat

Daily Driver?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ElTorrente, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ElTorrente

ElTorrente Rookie

Mar 11, 2004
    Does anyone drive their Ferrari everyday?

I don't own one (yet), but can imagine that I would find a reason to drive one as often as possible. Maybe even to work everyday, even with a second "normal" car. I imagine my first one will end up being a 308 or 328, or who knows.., but I can see myself putting quite a few miles on it.

I love long road-trips also, so could see myself driving a good distance- just to hit the open road. Is this a sin to put "excessive" miles on it?

I'm sure part of it is that many people look at them as investments, but I would want one just to drive and enjoy, and wouldn't really worry about lowering it's value in terms of mileage/normal wear. My thinking is that they were born to drive, so I will facilitate that.

Is it feasible to have a daily driver Ferrari, or would reliability be too much of an issue on a mid 70's - mid 80's example?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think a 456 or 550 could make an excellent daily driver, as long as you can control your right foot :) I wouldnt care to spend every day in traffic or going to the supermarket in a pre 90s Ferrari, Maybe a Mondial but thats about it

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I drive my 550 everyday. ~1200 miles / month.

--Dan

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Road trips in a 308/328 should be OK. A lot of local FCA members take them on our longer weekend events without problems. Even TRs are fine for long trips. My 360, which I drive 3-4 times a week, is quite comfortable for long trips.

I don't think a lot of owners here on F-Chat see their cars as investment.

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    And as a result, known amongst us F-Chatters, as "Dan, the Man"! :D

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    When I'm in the states, I drive my 365 about 3-4 times per week. Mind you I don't have a stop and go traffic route on my commute. At the end of the day, they're just cars and if they are properly sorted, there is no reason you can't use them. Horror stories come from people driving garage queens.

The wife and I took it to Hilton Head Island last year for the FCA track event. Only issues were the power steering resevoir leaking after about the 4th high speed lap and she got a little warm during construction through Atlanta (turning on the heat helped, but I didn't want to sit too long).

These cars are durable and are meant to be driven. If its sorted, you could probably drive anything past the 250's every day.

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Sure, it's possible. It would be wise to have a back up car though. I've got a friend with over 60,000 miles on his daily driver 512TR(he got it new). He has a Tahoe that he uses for bad weather days that is garage queen though. :)

8. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I drove my 308 almost every. I put over 100,000 miles on it. It was running strong when I sold it. It was a very good daily driver with no major problems. I think that these cars run better the more you drive them.

9. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    my 328 was my only car for 4 years. Budget $2k a year for all the wearables (tires, brakes, oil, belts based on miles/time, etc.)... if it comes in under that count yourself lucky. THe 328 is likely the best car to daily.

It's for sale now, I'll miss it. I am going to make a 456 my new daily (need room for my son & wife to get in one car).

-dq

10. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I've been using my '88 Mondial Coupe as my daily driver for 3.5 years now. Only stranded me once --- damn fuse box. Once replaced a whole host of electrical gremlins disappeared. Right now it's my only car and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country tomorrow. It's got 80,452 miles on it and I just returned home from dropping my daughter at high school. I put just about 20M miles / year on it.

Go for it . You only live once and it may as well be in a Ferrari ---driven daily, of course. :)

Tom

11. tomkranz

tomkranz Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've been using my Mondial daily, or at least 2-3 times a week.

I'd say any Ferrari that is looked after and driven regularly would be up to the task - althought you may want toys like power steering and air-con if you have rush hour traffic issues.

I've heard of people doing big mileage in 456s (20k per year) with no problems, apart from usual maintenance consumables.

They're made to be driven - seems a shame to want a Ferrari for so long and then stash it in the garage waiting for a sunny day.

Cheers,
    TOM

12. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    I rotate daily driver status between my 328, 512TR and 360 Spider. Have about 100000 miles total so far.

Remember-- You don't want to be laying on your death bed saying "I wish I drove my Ferrari more" ---because yours heirs will.

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it really depends what your daily drive is,...i have a long 35mile commute on i95 with a lot of BIG! trucks all over the crash...a lot of nasty pile ups and rocks hitting cars and windsheilds...i have broken 1-2 windsheilds a day!!!! its a war zone so i usually take my 4 year old camary to work...my 360 spider is my evening and weekend car but i still think ill put 5k plus miles on itper year...ccertainly ii is very comfy for long drives and has a n excellent stereo!!