Oh Boy, Another TR Question.. Cold Start Idle? | FerrariChat

Oh Boy, Another TR Question.. Cold Start Idle?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Shamile, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I have another question. When I start up the 91 Testarossa (US), It doesn't seem to go through that fast idle sequence. It sort of sputters to life then slowly gets better as it warms up. My 308 would sputter to life...wake up a bit then go into the fast idle till warm. ( dash light would go out ).

Does the TR do it the same way? I assume as it has the same fuel injection system. If it is not functioning correctly...any suggestions?

....All the connectors are clean now. :)

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Fast idle is regulated by the Aux. Air Valve. Check the connections, then make sure they work. They are "open", when cold, and slowly they "close" as the engine warms up.

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Dear Hendryk,

Thanks for the suggestion...I give it a try. :)

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Shamile: I should clarify. When I stated that "they are open when cold......", I was referring to the opening within the valves, NOT the electrical component. The best way to check this is by taking out the Aux. air valve, and looking into it. I put mine in the freezer for a while, then check that it is open.......then into the oven, at 200 degrees for a while, and make sure the opening is closed. I will even blow into the opening, to see if I could push air through it.......one should not be able to.......be careful, the end is very warm!

Then check to make sure there is voltage going to the connectors.......12 Volts.

The Ohm reading of the valve connectors should be about 48 Ohms, at room temperature.

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Dear Henyrk,

Thanks for the information. I actually thought you were talking electrical here. I was actually going to tackle this tomorrow. Glad I checked here first.:)