Best PDA Upgrade for a Palm Vx? | FerrariChat

Best PDA Upgrade for a Palm Vx?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ghost, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Fellas,

My father wanted to upgrade his Palm Vx, with the latest PDA gizmo. Unfortunately I don’t use PDAs, and so I am not in a position to let him know the latest digital assistant he should get. He did tell that he would like something with the following parameters:

(i) a color screen;
    (ii) a screen with a good sized resolution;
    (iii) something new and modern, in order to last him for the next couple of years; and
    (iv) most importantly, something that is compatible with the existing Palm Vx software, so that he can transfer his (thousands) of addresses between the old and the new with ease

He mostly uses the PDA for storing addresses and telephone numbers, so he doesn’t need a PDA that does all the fancy stuff, like play mp3’s, take pictures, etc. -- just the plain ol' basic stuff in a nice, neat, modern, high-resolution color shell.

What are you guys using, and what do you recommend?

Many thanks.

2. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I'm partial to Sony Clies, so that's my vote.

I've had 3 of them, my most recent being an NX70. Beautiful screen, color, pictures, etc, AND if he has a wireless network at home, you can get a wireless card that works exactly like a laptop wireless card. In fact, AvantGo (he IS using AvantGo, right?) can be synced up wirelessly.

It has a cool keyboard; I never use graffiti anymore. It also runs Palm OS, so the addresses should convert fine.

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks Mike. Actually thinking about the Palm Zire 71, especially as it is a c|net Editor's Choice pick. Has anybody used this?

Zire 71 link on Palm website

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    One last question: are most of these handhelds usable usable in both Asia and the US given the differences in voltage? I am thinking about buying something here for my Dad (where voltage is 120V), but he is located in Asia (where voltage is 240V). I assume most of these have a built-in voltage adapter?

Thanks.

5. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    It's been a while since I've gone shopping for a PDA, but if you really like the Palms, you might want to also consider Handspring. I think that Handspring stemmed from former Palm designers or something like that. The reason I always liked Handspring over Palm is that Handspring had more add-ons. Not sure if that's still true, but it's worth looking at.

Remember though, most of the palm-based PDAs are the same minus the bells and whistles. The Zire, from what I've read, is a solid basic PDA. You can't really go wrong with Palm.

6. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Virtual Keyboard!!!!