Ferrari and Philosophy | FerrariChat

Ferrari and Philosophy

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SupercarGuru, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Hi Everyone,

I am writing an article on the German philosopher Hegel and his ideals about Moral and Contract Obligations; If verbal agreements are considered a stipulation and should be held to their word.

I wanted to actually relate this to the promises of Ferrari North America Delivering cars upon orders etc.

I have read stories from Brian C Stradale etc and heard other horror stories being in the business. Does anyone have any actual evidence? (other news articles published) pertaining to this? Has anyone ever actually sued Ferrari?

Thank you very much! -John

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Here in Texas, for hundreds of years a man's handshake and his word were the ultimate sign of legitmancy, hence the term "Handshake deal".

$10 or $millions, no difference. A man's integrity was tied to this arrangement.

In my business, multi million dollar construction, volumes of paperwork, binding legal agreements, enforceable in courts of law, etc., really don't superceed this situation. The paper has only the value of the integrity of the MAN who signed it. No integrity, no value!

Interesting question. My .02.

Brians case is unreal, he should have taken out his wallet and paid a premium for one already on the ground in the US, in my opinion.

Ever stood in line for a snowcone at a ball game? I think someone has "cut" in front of him! Maybe three or four people. But then again, I'd have looked Mr. Risi in the eye by now with some hard questions, were I Brian. Obviously, he has not.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    People who complain about today's FNA have obviously no feel for the Ferrari history in the US.

Go read about the early years, with Chinetti selling to who he felt could best bring honor and publicity to the marque!

Phil Hill, Carroll Shelby and Dan Gurney never had a problem getting a car! Hmmmmmm......

I don't even know Brian...nothing personal, speaking to the global issues only, here. I do know Mr. Risi, and consider him a gentlemen of the highest integrity, yet he is a businessman selling a limited availabilty commodity, to the highest bidder.

We are auctioning cows at the Rodeo this week, for more money that this!
    Moooooooooooo!

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Texas permit to carry-concealed weapon law certainly doesn't hurt the reinforcement of the handshakes either...lol.

BTW, many of my closest business associates are from the wonderful state of Texas and I will attest to Speedy308's testament.

5. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sir, this is America where a Lie is called, "spin." Get things in writing, get it signed by a person in authority, get a witness, and THEN get your lawyer!

6. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "In my business, multi million dollar construction, volumes of paperwork, binding legal agreements, enforceable in courts of law, etc., really don't superceed this situation. The paper has only the value of the integrity of the MAN who signed it."

Sometimes I wonder whether the residual value (after the integrity is gone, or if it never existed) of the paper is worth the heavy transaction cost of preparing it. I think it is, but it's a close call.

Edit: that statement has nothing to do with my Ferrari experience. No disrespect intended, but it seems to me this thread is just inviting complaints about Ferrari. I view searching for, purchasing and owning for Ferraris as a passion, a "fun" thing, if it gave me as much heartache as I often see on this Board, I'd do something else with my time and money.

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Go read about the early years, with Chinetti selling to who he felt could best bring honor and publicity to the marque!"

And I see nothing wrong with that allocation of cars. Allocation complaints IMO are all about hurt feelings, bruised ego, not ethics.

8. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    In no way was i trying to start a negative thread! I was looking for opinions to help better my article. I never gave my opinion because i wanted to remain objective. I dont think there is alot of heartache on this board...

-john

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, thanks to the gentlemen, with the feedback!
    (Nodding head....tipping Stetson)

As for as the buying experience... I bought mine used, from strangers... and half way home had a serious ANXIETY ATTACK! ...over whether I'd been had, taken for a ride, made a fool, bought someone else's problems.

But then, rolling down the highway.... headed home.... thumbs up from BUSLOADS of kids.. I took a deep breath, let it out slowly... and realized the
    few cars available, the comparatively few people who get to own them... the number of competent technicians around the world who can fix them...... and thought to myself..... Hey, it's just a machine, for cryin' out loud!

There's maybe a gap between the myth and the reality. But that's really in the Owner's mind... you can bet that at any given point in history, the gang in Maranello put their heart and soul into the machine, hoping it ended up in the hands of someone that understood......and stood on the throttle!

If you're into picking nits, you really should drive a Porsche. But I've heard they break, too! ;)

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is America......... where maybe we should re-establish the VALUE OF INTEGRITY!

As opposed to throwing a ball, or making a buck. Hmmmmm???

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Very descriptive and well said.....

PS: I owned a Porsche turbo once and yes.....they do break, too.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  13. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hey speedy,

I know exactly how you feel. The first 308 I won on e-bay the guy totally lied ( I think he is still spinning ) about the car. Luckly I was able to wiggle out of the deal with no negative feedback. The second one I won I think I lucked out. The guy was very genuin. Half way home on my 600 mile trip home I thought what have I done! Then the exciting part begins where you can actually fix things on it and everyone drouls over it.

If I had it to do over I would buy three.

PS I have owned two Porsches, and yes they break down too with much less satifaction in driving.