Should I buy an older and less desired F-car now or wait for my dreamcar, F355? | FerrariChat

Should I buy an older and less desired F-car now or wait for my dreamcar, F355?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by alx355gt, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should I buy an older and less desired F-car now or wait for my dreamcar F355?

1. Take the risk, buy and enjoy a 308 or Mondial now, try upgrading later

2. Be patient, wait for the F355

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Just like to know your opinions. I'm not that rich but 100% Ferrari-addicted.
    I really would like to own a F355 GTS or Spider one day and I know I wil.

I could easily buy a 308 or Mondial now and sometimes I just think: go for it!I can always try upgrading later.

Then again, I'm a bit afraid an older car can become a nightmare and can push the F355 even further away.
    I also have to consider that me and my girlfriend are thinking about having a kid and we'll need a bigger house soon.

For the moment I'm still patient and willing to wait. However, when I see a Ferrari I desperately want one as soon as possible.
    But of course, I'ld like a F355 the most and I would like to keep it a long time.

What do you think/what are your experiences?

Thanks for the opinions.

Greets, Alex.

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    IMHO, If you are posting this question then you are not ready for any Ferrari, old or newer.

3. 007

007 Guest

Feb 18, 2003
    Scottsdale&LasVegas
    Full Name:
    Brad
    What about getting a 328? It is a nearly bulletproof Ferrari. At $45K it is about half of a good F355.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    buy now, you never know what can happen ! Enjoy now ..the 355 will come later !

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As Andrew has pointed out time and tide wait for no man...

6. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I would get an earlier well-sorted and inspected earlier model to acclimate yourself to Ferraris. Who knows, you my not like the experience. HA HA HA...Yeah right, I'm so sure!! You WILL be hooked for life.

7. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If you're waiting for another year to save up on a 355, then you probably can wait; but longer than that, I don't know...I can't imagine myself waiting more than one year to buy a car I'm "itching" for. Do what makes you happy.
    You'll never know what'll happen so try to live everyday as if it were your last (easier said than done) .

Before, I've always wanted a Boxer or a Testarossa but I wasn't ready for one yet at the time so I bought an '89 328. I am extremely happy I did.

8. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Tough call without knowing more about your particulars. But, I would say be patient.

F355's are going down in price.
    Maintenance/parts on all cars is going up.

9. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Thanks for the opinions...
    A 328 is in range soon, I might go for that :)
    I will see. Maybe I wait for a F355 after all, altough I won't be able to get one in the next year. I still don't know for sure.
    I'm already hooked thanks to previous experiences... drove a 328GTS and a F355 Spider a few times. A total of about 5000km (about 3100 miles) in 5 years. Ok, it doesn't look that much if you are an owner, but for me it was great. I'm even more addicted since I drove it.
    Really, thanks for the opinions...

Ok, maybe posting this thread was'nt a good idea....
    @ Dave, NOT READY??? :( :(
    I love Ferrari since I was a kid, never miss a meeting, go crazy when I see or hear one, know the history, the times I actually drove a 328GTS and F355 Spider a few times were fantastic experiences that I enjoyed 100%! I've been too Maranello more than once and love Italy... I ADORE the cars and the country that they're made in!

Now, thanks for the opinion, but why shouldn't I be ready???
    Just because I ask opinions for this question?

IMO I maybe deserve it more than some kids who get it as a birthday present from their rich parents, and then don't respect the car. No offense and good for them.
    I'm just not born rich, but I was willing to make sacrifices to get where I am now. Are you really saying you have too be a born milionaire to own a Ferrari or am I misunderstanding? Come on...

Greets, Alex.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Neither, buy an older 12 cylinder car instead . You will forget all about owning a little v8 once you own a 12 !

11. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Go for it now and never look back. You'll be glad you did. You may find that when the time comes that you can afford the car of your dreams you may have different dreams.

12. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    My thoughts are go for the best you can possibly afford,and go for it now as you just never know whats going to happen.

13. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Alex,

Does your Girl Friend (Future Wife?), share your sentiment & passion?
    When she's your Wife she may not! Make sure she knows that this is
    your intent before you get married (and certainly before Children).
    But like Andrew so eloquently stated and Napolis echoed:
    "Time and Tide waits for no Man"

14. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    The timing doesn't look right to me. The cost of one of these cars is more than just the initial purchase. You need 5k or more held back for whatever. Do the family thing and get a car later. Lusting over them is half of the fun.

15. Seve

Seve Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    Get a mondial and enjoy the open air at a great price. I did what you are considering and love my mondial. Some day I will get a newer model, but the 3.2 Mondial is based on the 328 engine and it is just a blast.

16. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Oh boy, here he goes again! LOL

17. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    My $.02 - if your girlfriend understands and backs the decision, get a 308 or Mondial now. Why not? You never know what can happen tomorrow, next year, 5 years from now etc. Personally, I want a F355 in the worst way. But that won't be the way I start. I'll start with a 3x8 and work my way up. I'm married and my wife understands and accepts that as soon as we can afford an F-car without breaking the bank or strapping ourselves, it's going to happen. Enjoy that experience while working towards the F355.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    There is no question; get it NOW. I have a cheapo Mondial. While I hope/intend to get something faster someday, I have had more fun with it in 6 months than I have with any other car. That simply would not have happened if I had waited...in fact I should have done it years ago.
    Driving it, it matters not one bit who says it's too slow or whatever. I'm happy. Do it now! ;o)

19. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    A good carbeb 308 is more fun (and nicer to listen to) IMHO than most later models especially if you can stretch to the fiberglass ones.
    Less weight, less restricted, less fancy electronics, basically just a frame with an engine as all Ferraris should be.

Also consider serious devaluation coming the F355 way in the near future and much higher running costs (engine-out belts, expensive parts and service) whereas the 308 can be serviced by most for whatever is basic.

20. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Alex,

Check out this thread. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11309

Do you think this is a LESS desirable? (Less being relative),
    compared to your needs: Four seats, affordable, yet Classic Lines.
    If I were in your situation today, facing Marriage and Children
    a Mondial would be a practical alternative. That is to say,
    "If you intend on your Family sharing in your passion."
    (Imagine weekend get-a-ways, Sunday Drives.. Together!)

Rent the Movie: Scent of a Woman (Beautiful Mondialt Cabrio)

Unfortunately you've gotten the bug at a time in your life where
    your desire and means do not coincide with your needs and means.

They rarely do until late 30's and up…

Chuck

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    IMO ANY Ferrari is AWESOME!! Agree or disagree?

22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    What the heck do you mean by "less desirable"? Less desirable for you? Less desirable to the public? To other Ferrari owners? If your primary concern is buying something according to the level of desirability to someone else, no offense intended, but you might want to take a serious look at the motivation behind your buying decisions in general. Afterall, whether it's a 308GT4 or a 360, at the end of the day these are just cars, and desirability should have nothing to do with your level of enjoyment with a particular car. If YOU enjoy the car and can afford it, do it.

23. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J

All very well said.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am reminded of a true story on this site:

Someone bought his Ferrari that he always wanted to own after many years of working, saving, and waiting. He got it home, drove it for 50 miles, and put it away. He went on a business trip and passed away.

Why wait?

25. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I agree, I remember that story, what a shame.