Overheat 355F1 after track day | FerrariChat

Overheat 355F1 after track day

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ssalahuddin, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ssalahuddin

ssalahuddin Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    I took my 355f1 for a track day . After the 5th laps the temperature gauge light blinked due to overheated engine. Soon as I reached the pit, we check the water coolant, then we add at least 2 gallons of water to the radiator. After 1 hour i try to start the engine and it wouldn't start at all. The car had to be towed to the ferrari dealer and they found water inside the spark plug (they still checking for the rest of the engine) . Anybody now that if this could be a serious damage to the engine or simple drainage and gasket replacement will do the trick?

I am located in Jakarta,Indonesia.

2. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    In general water inside combustion chamber is indicative of a leaky head gasket. Whether there is any permanent damage depends on how hot the engine got and for how long. What did your temperature gauge say? Did the temperature rise gradually over the 5 laps or was your engine overheated during all 5 laps around the track?

When you tried to restart the car after 1 hour cool down, did you notice the engine cranked over slower than normal? If so then may indicate increased friction, which is not a good sign.

Possible permanent damage may include scuffed pistons and or warped heads. BTW, I don't think it's a good idea to fill 2 gallons of cold water in an over heated engine while still hot. The thermal shock may cause more damage than good.

I hope your car is OK and just needs new head gaskets. Good luck.

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    What is the coolant capacity of the engine? 5 gallons? Are you indicating you added 2 gallons of liquid without draining anything out (so that the motor was running with 3 gallons)?

If not, then let's hope it is just a faulty gasket ($).

If so, then you'll need to check that you haven't warped the head from overheating ($$$).

Good luck

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    You must learn to look at your gauges. By the time the idiot light comes on it's often too late. Good luck.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The pertinate question is: did the water temperature simply head from normal to overheat in a single run up the scale, or did the water temp stabilize for a couple of laps and then heat for hot? What was the oil temp and oil pressure during those 5 laps?

I run my F355 in Texas in the summertime (105dF). In the hour between runs, the water tank never depressurizes to the point you can look at the water level. If you can add water in less time than approximately 2 hours--this is bad! Adding cool/cold water to a hot engine is also bad.

At this point, I suspect a head gasket. It ain't going to be cheap.

6. atheyg

atheyg Guest

From what I understand concerning Ferrari V8s is a head gasket failure will not cause coolant leakage into the cylinders or oil, what will is a cracked head or block.

7. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Good luck, sorry to hear this.