Ferrari License Plate Frame | FerrariChat

Ferrari License Plate Frame

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jdb, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    #1 jdb, Mar 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This picture is of one of the chrome-plated license plate frames offered on eBay, which I get the sense are not exactly high quality. Does anyone know where to get a quality version of a frame that looks like this? Or does anyone that has bought one of the frames from eBay have any feedback?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Don't have familiarity with it, but it doesn't look that bad to me. The "Ferrari" name seems to have been rendered fairly well. Curious to know what is giving you the "sense" that these are not high quality frames?

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I've got one with the prancing horse. The logo is actually a decal that looks like etching and will come off if washed to vigorously. I'm happy with mine and have not found anything I like better. Ferrari do not officially license a frame so anything you buy is going to be a bogus item.

4. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I bought one like that for my Porsche. Same vendor I believe. I thought the quality was very good. Very happy with the purchase.

5. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Here is a picture of my frame I just got a couple days ago. It's from some company here in Indiana. I bought 2 frames for $40 w/ shipping and they arrived within 2 days. Here is the link as was posted previously by Davey Jones:

http://www.engravenet.com/frame_laser.htm

Jesse

6. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    The name looks great. But they sell for $12 and when I e-mailed the guy on eBay, I got the impression they were chrome-plated plastic. I've had other non-Ferrari frames made which were in the $50 neighborhood which were chrome-plated brass. Those have held up very vell and was hoping to find the same thing with the "Ferrari" name. I guess I can always just get what is on eBay and see what it's like.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have that exact one that was pictured - I am very happy with it - I have not yet had a problem with the decal coming off - In fact I didn't even know it was a decal until SrfCity showed me his the other week. :)

His was from the same seller, but has a little prancing horse instead of the logo.

8. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I've been looking for months - the ebay units I've seen over-and-over-and-over.....a 360 Spyder owner, locally, had one on his car. Its etched chrome, but since it was installed on the car I couldn't judge its weight. Paul Frame's F-50 (as seen in Road and Track) had a killer chrome plate frame with a Fly Yellow field, black Ferrari Script, and Black Cavallinos against the yellow field. I have not been able to locate this frame anywhere.

I inquired, on-Chat, for Dealership Plate Frames, having seen a very classy frame from Ferrari of Beverly Hills. Only Shelton Sports Cars ante'd up, and sent me not one, but FOUR frames of very high-quality. Two black, and two chrome metal frames with colored relief. They even sent me a dealership License plate tag - all metal, with a gold Cavallino for use while my local DMV finally sent me temporary plates. Shelton is pure class, in my book. I'd buy a car from those folks.

9. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I acutally bought one with a prancing horse (same seller) for around 7.99 on ebay (plus 6 shipping). It was solid and well done - this will be the cheapest thing you can buy for your f-car :)

10. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Do you have any photos of the frames on the car?

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #11 Jdubbya, Mar 3, 2004
    Just bought this on E-bay. I'm sure it's the same guy, he seems to be the only one offering them. $19.99 with shipping. Not sure I like the decal idea, but it seems to be on there good, and the frame itself is acutally stamped steel and very solid. Not sure about the chrome ones though.

12. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I've got the same one also, Got it last year and it has held up pretty good. I think on one of the letters though, the corner of the decal is lifting up, but it's not that noticable...

Here are some pictures of my Major service that was done a couple weeks ago at a dealer here in the area, a few of the pictures you can see the frame...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9725

13. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jesse got it right! I'm going to get another from engravenet - maybe do yellow with
    black text instead of red - here's mine

14. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I bought both the chrome one and a black one from this e-bay seller. I was pleased with both purchases. I first bought the chrome one, thinking I'd break up some of the rear car color, which is red/black. However, after putting it on the car I decided it was toooo shiny for the vehicle. I thought the chrome looked out of place and didn't blend in well with the rest of the rear look. I'm much happier with the look of the black one for my color scheme. That's only my opinion, but that's the one that counts. I'd send you the chrome one for free, since I don't use it anymore. However, somewhere along the line, maybe while hanging on the garage wall, it has picked up a scratch in the upper left corner that shows up pretty noticeably on chrome. So one minute scratch has pretty much shot the entire look of the frame. Other than that it hasn't tarnished over the years. If you go with this seller I imagine you'll do alright...

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Gee, why do we need yet another Ferrari label on the car?, doesn't it scream FERRARI enough?

Interesting on one thread we have posters complaining about Ferrari adding model badges to the rear of new cars, and then on this thread we cannot get enough labels ... ?

And then we give ricers a hard time for all their badges ... ?

Pot calling the kettle black, me thinks.

Pete

16. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Do you have no license plate frame? I would think that must look awful.

I guess my thinking is if you have to have a license plate frame, why not go with something that matches the rest of the car?

17. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    My 308 seems to use a diff. bolt pattern than all other standard frames. Can anyone address that? They are spaced wider.

18. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #18 Eric308gtsiqv, Mar 4, 2004
    Not sure about the different bolt pattern location scenario -- but I purchased one of these metal chrome frames w/ a clear plate cover for the 308, and it fits the bolt pattern perfectly. It also fully encloses the plate and is extremely high quality IMHO. Here are a couple links:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=882

http://www.autoanything.com/license_plate_frames/results.asp?prID=68&kc=ISE%2D03104

And here's a pic of the frame on my 308:

19. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I think there's no need to tell people it's Ferrari. If they don't know, then it's their bad luck.

20. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Wow gold plated and 140 bucks. I like the looks of those.

I had to cut my plate at the corners to allow the bolts for the frame to protrude through to the threaded holes. The Kansas plate that I took off was the same way.

21. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    A license plate frame actually did (does?) come with Ferraris originally. Its a flat black simple cheap looking thing that has been on new Ferraris at least in the 70s-90s. There are also original screws for them too. They can still be had new. Look in your parts manual. Without them- 1/2 point deduction in concours.

Dan

22. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #22 ghost, Mar 15, 2004
    Just bought two of these from this seller, but in black. Must say, though, that I was very tempted to go with the understated, but elegant, "prancing horse" license plate that I saw on eBay as well. Very cool.

23. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Indeed..... I lost 1/2 at Winter Park Concours for exactly that. Still ended up with a trophy, 2nd place
    :)

24. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    I'm looking for a 2-hole, carbon fiber frame, without logo. if anyone knows of one let me know,
    Mark

25. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Hello jdb,

I purchase one like it for my TR and my Porsche. I had the decal remove and then engraved on the Porsche and it looks great!