maserati vs ferrari positioning.. | FerrariChat

maserati vs ferrari positioning..

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bostonmini, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    It has come to my attention (even at FONE!) that many ppl look at the maserati coupe/Spyder as a less expensive alternative to a true ferrari. Now that maserati is under ferrari ownership, what are your thoughts? I see maserati as being just different, more GT, instead of a sports car with the engine up front to save costs etc...my only question is why make a 612, when you could make a 12 cyl. maserati? what is your take fellas? do you think maserati is "the poor man's ferrari?" or something else?

2. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I really like the new maserati's.I certainly can't afford one but I think the link with ferrari should be a positive thing.Their cars are so different in there intended use than most ferrari's other than maybe the 456 variants.They have a tuff road to climb with their reputation.Although I would have a ball with the F1 system most everyday people will probably hate it.So they could use a regular auto in their lineup as well.

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "So far this year, Ferrari is off to another good start in F1, but maintaining the earnings momentum could be a bit more difficult, considering the firm decision to hold sales to a maximum 4000 sports cars a year. That's where Maserati comes in, explains Luca de Montezemolo, CEO of Ferrari/Maserati, which has its headquarters just outside the ancient Italian city of Modena.

"We bought Maserati to give our dealers a product that was different and less expensive," says Montezemolo. Maserati also offers the opportunity to grow sales without diluting the exclusivity that provides Ferrari much of its cache."

That's from a recent article on thecarconnection.com, and seems to me to answer the positioning question.