Boxer 512 Mirrors | FerrariChat

Boxer 512 Mirrors

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by msdesignltd, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just installed a new set of New old stock NOS power mirrors on my 84 boxer they are Identical to the original tired mirrors that I removed...I have set them in the idendical juxtaposition as the original mirrors, However the range of motion that the actual glass moves up and down is too low. The best I can see is the axle line both left and right sides...Any one had any expierience in altering the up angles

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You want to set the door rear view mirrors such that you cannot see any of your car, thereby, getting the best vision of the lane you car is NOT occupying. If you can see any part of your car in the dorr mirrors, they are looking to far towards the back and not enough towards the sides.

You want the center of the door mirrors set to see the hoodline of your typical car on a flat and level road, thereby maximizing tollerance to hills and valleys when it comes time to see something in the lane you car is not occupying..

3. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What You say goes without saying, This is my 9th Ferrari and 3rd boxer, The problem is I am viewing the area that would occupy an imaginary axle line outside the body width of the car, I cannot tilt up the housing or the maximum tilt in the glass..the range of motion is between that axle line and the ground below.anyway I'll inspect it again tonight, Thanks.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I think some others have the same issue. You see a number of pictures with the mirrors raised (rotated from a horizontal position to to say a 45 deg angle) to get this adjusted.

5. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Looks nice!

6. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    When I had my Boxer, I put on the Californian mirrors which have terrible vision. I put a $1 half dollar sized glue on "fish eye" that I got at Autozone on the mirror. Not really noticeable and it really worked.

7. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Anybody have original late Boxer door mirrors for sale? I can use them on my car.

8. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have removed my old orig mirrors, However call dennis mcann, he just got me my new vitaloni mirrors.

http://www.allferrariparts.com/home.html

The Mirror is the kind of problem that if you just stare at it long enough,you can figure out a cure.I pulled back the goose neck boot and loosened the swing away axis screw. there is a spring inside that housing.when the screw is loose tilt the whole mirror housing up, insert a skewer tooth pick on the side of the spring that keeps the mirror housing up. break off wood wedge in spring housing and tighten down. the tilt achieved was @ 5 degrees up.These mirrors are very narrow field to begin with. so surely I will look for the wider angle pasties.Hope the concours judges dont notice! Thanks Guys. More Pics!