Stuck between Viper and Porsche 996TT | FerrariChat

Stuck between Viper and Porsche 996TT

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by allanlambo, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Cant seem to make up my mind between the 2. I love the Porsche, but it is far more expensive. I can get a new SRT10 for the price of used 996TT. I want the car to drag race in, and take to work. Good thing abut viper is its fiberglass, so no door dings. Bad thing is that Viper gets lots of attention. Porsche is all around awesome, less attention, bad for door dings, and much more costly to modify. Both have loads of aftermarket available, Viper being the cheaper to mod. I also want the car to be cool for the long haul, as i intend to keep it for along time.

2. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Go with the Viper, unless you aren't a convertible man. Just get a silver one so it won't be that flashy.

3. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I would get a C6 Corvette and mod that if I were you. But out of those choices, I'd buy the Porsche.

4. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Sorry Allan,

But if drag racing is really something you plan on doing at least a few times a year, the Viper is your only option here unless you plan on turning the Turbo into a 2wd vehicle. That 4wd is going to cost you either a differential/transmission or a clutch in no time.

You seem to have hit on the other points between the two well. I don't know how long it's been since you've been over at ViperForums.com but they've got plenty of GTS's and SRTs in the 800 - 1000 RWHP with equal torque. Go with a blower and spray and you could have a 1200HP beast on your hands. Of course, without traction control this could be an issue ... but dammit who the hell cares!!! :)

Oh, quick question, I read in another thread that the drag race between the 355 and the Mustang played out already?? True??

Bill in Brooklyn

5. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    For some reason the new viper's don't have that magical touch that the old one had.They don't seem as exciting too me.Granted I'm certainly not talking about the engine because it's a brute.Fit and finish is much better on the porsche.I still think there is less to worry about in the viper, the engine's are pretty straight forward.As long as it's broken in properly.I'm guessing the porsche would be a better daily driver.The viper is probably horrible in rain if that's a concern.I'd go with my gut feeling.

6. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    If it were me, I'd have a viper.

7. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Allan,

Reading your posts on prime for a while and reading them here, I think the Viper suits your personality better. You seem to like brutish in your face stuff (a compliment in my book :) ) and I think a monstrous Viper is the ticket. 996TTs are dime a dozen (not sure in your island), Vipers are a bit more rare. As far as Viper getting attention, I don't think that will be a problem for you. ;) I know you like the attention, and for drag race, the Viper is hands down winner I would say, and cheaper if it breaks.

As far as longevity, I am not sure. The 996TT may have better resale value, but I am sure you are not too concerned about that. Yellow Viper all the way man!

By the way, YOU work??????!!!!????

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Allan, the Viper is awesome, torque monster and still relatively RARE to see on the streets, whereas the Porsche is a dime-a-dozen and that's what I do not like about the 911 derivatives, even RUF, Gemballas, etc. are no different in aesthetics, to the average Joe, from a run-of-the-mill 911.

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I can't believe there is even a question in your mind about this, Allan. I mean the P car is so refined, low key, almost ubiquitous; the Viper is so raw, in your face and seldom seen. The Viper is so you! I like the side pipes, too! But can you nitrous it? PS Have they improved the interiors? That, like in the Corvette, seemed to be the car's only obvious downfall.

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    If this is to be a daily driver and track beast, the Viper SRT fails on both counts.

The hugely fat tires make it track the road pretty badly... every crack, tar strip or cigarette butt will have it jumping left to right. There is a heat issue with these cars too - they get HOT. Where you live, that may be an issue. I found the hardest part of daily driving was that it was so low, very wide, got tons of attention, but most of all just that it tracked the road so bad that you could never relax for a microsecond. You always had to have a firm grip on the wheel.

The car fails in the drag category because it's a convertible. In stock form, it will not be legal at NHRA tracks, or at IHRA tracks. And it's not like there will be a question of whether it will run a sub 13.99 either, I mean it's a Viper... it will run a sub 12 no problem.

For what you want, the Porsche is the better car. But if you just want something that will toss the SV into the weeds consistently, the SRT is the one to get.

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Im thinking id be more inclined in getting like a 2001 or 2002 Viper Scr. Yellow with black stripes, or red with white stripe. As for tossing the Sv into the weeds, the SRT in stock form, will not. Already been proven. Very very close though, virtually equal through the gears.

It wil be a daily driver. Big thing on the Viper is that its fiberglass and parking here is very difficult, so less worry about door dings.

if i had to choose between the 2 for the same price, id prob go Porsche. But something tells me that the Viper may be the way to go. id be more inclined to do things to it that id neer do in another car, such as the Sv or 355, like dump the clutch, powershift etc. Its also cheap enough that when i park it, i wouldnt be so concerned.

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yellow Viper just screams Allan to me. I think the decision here is too easy. :D

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If the shoe fits..............

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Stunning Allan. Love the wheels. Though I still think you need yellow. I have never owned American muscle before, so how would you say the motors longevity versus european/japanese stuff. I mean will that motor go 100K with regular maintenance?

Just curious, as the Viper is one hot car that I would gladly buy!

15. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
  16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    no, not selling anything else. I have discussed with my wife getting rid her 355 and buying a Porsche and a Benz or a Hummer H2, or even an Nsx for her. I dont know.

The viper should be a very strong car with little or no maintenece involved.

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    How much are the GTS's going for?

18. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Allan,

The GTS may be very very close to the SV, but the SRT is going to tear the SV a new ******. The SRT is neck and neck with the Murcie in many, if not most, tests. The diablo doesn't stand a chance.

Come on dude, the Diablo is nice, but it's no longer king of the hill by a long shot compared to a lot of what's out there today.

19. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    VIPER!!!!111

get the vipeerr!!11

20. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I think you're forgetting (or simply don't know) that his SV is bottle-fed through a custom system.

21. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hard to beat the $799 lease deal on the 2004 NSX's. Might be perfect for her.

22. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Allan said "the SV" not "my SV". I was assuming he referred to a comparison between the SRT and SV in stock form.

Of course, Allan's car, in a straight line, while he has the NOS turned on, and NOS in the bottle, and heated up, will provide more acceleration than a stock SRT. Just be sure not to run out or it will be embarassing!

23. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    that Viper ACR is nice, and/or a Final Edition one. Watch out for the attention though!

24. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Allen
    Don't get the SRT, They don't look good to me, the one you posted from ebay that one looks very good. I like the hardtop. :)