Local source for the 3M stoneshield? | FerrariChat

Local source for the 3M stoneshield?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jimpo1, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    A friend of mine is looking to put the 3M Stoneshield tape on the front of his BMW and was quoted $650. That sounds REALLY high to me. Has anyone had this done? Does anybody have a local resource?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Actually sounds very reasonable. The installation is quite time consuming, and I hate to say it, but leave it for the pros. Some cars can be easy to do, some can be very tricky and time consuming.

3. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Jim,

It costs the dealer about $350 to have it put on. I know Classic BMW has a man come in and do it for them. I will look for his card. I probably lost it in the move from Ferrari.

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    A friend of mine who has done the installations for close to 4 years now charges more than that for dealerships. Basically, he provides them with the same rate, minus ~15% and the dealer marks it up from there. Typical installations run anywhere between $650 and $850, not much less.

His name is David Dearing www.speedfilm.net - you can give him a ring and if you have a few cars to do, he'll fly over and do them all at once.

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I haven't paid attention on this subject before, so I am totally uneducated.
    Assuming this factor, I have some questions:

1) It is hard to believe a plastic sheet will prevent scratches from flying rocks on a road. How effective is this?

2) By putting this sheet, wouldn't that change fadeness of colors, thus looks un-equal on shade of a car as a whole?

3) Why this sheet only applied to partial of a car? Why not whole body for prevention of damages?

4) Does anyone done this on their Ferrari? If so, would you give some opinion?

Yoshi

6. Whatever

Whatever Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2002
    Highland Village, TX
    Full Name:
    Dan Marlett
    Jim, I have done this to several cars including my own. I would love to give your friend a quote. He can check out my car for a reference. E-mail me

Dan Marlett

7. jonathanp

jonathanp Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Peck
    Jim,

I have a guy that will do for around $350-400 in Plano and will come to your house if he can do it in the garage.

Give me a call at the office.....Lamborghini Dallas 972-241-0808

8. mjc123

mjc123 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2004
    CA; TX; MT
    I paid much more to put on my 996tt at Stewart's...although I think it's more difficult to apply on a porsche.

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Thanks guys. He's now moved to the 'undecided' category after seeing the film on another dark car. If he decides to go ahead, I'll get in touch w/ you.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The plastic holds the paint chips to the bumper after the rock impacts the bumper so there is no visible chip.

Its almost invisible, however it does not shine like Ferrari Paint, so you only use it where needed (front bumper).

I don't seem to collect a lot of rock chips at the back of my car, do you? Probably has something to do with the prefered driving direction being forward.

I've seen it done, its quite subtle, and appears to hold the rock chips down to a minimum. However it is not a replacement for repainting the bumper, just extends the life of the bumper paint by 3X or so.

11. l'esecuzioneItaliana

Jan 29, 2004
    Im not sure if that was meant to be sarcastic, but I loved it. I dont see too many cars driving down the freeway in reverse, but if they did they would need the "3M 'When Driving Reverse on the Freeway' Rear Bumper Guard".

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My man can spray alot of paint for $850.

I only drive that fast in reverse when I hear her ex husband.

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Thanks Mitch.
    I thought Stonegard can protect from some vandalism, too, if it protects from rock chip, you know, like getting coined or keyed, etc.

I understand the logic of stoneguard as I misunderstood originally. Your reply to Q1 explains it well. Thank you!

Yoshi