reupholstery opinions | FerrariChat

reupholstery opinions

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 1975gt4don, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Fellow chatters, I just received two pictures from the upholstery shop on my 75 308GT4 seats. How do these look to you? Are there too many wrinkles in the leather? Thank you.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

yup.

Sure looks too wrinkly to me. Although I'm comparing to a daytona style 246GT seat. Don't have that exact style.

I think the answer is, if you're asking the question, you already think they are no good. Understuffed, or badly installed, right?

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Too many wrinkles, understuffed.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I agree. Best to do over.

5. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    too many wrinkles

6. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Just got a reply back to me from the upholstery shop and he told me that the sun will shrink away the slight wrinkles. Keep the comments coming guys. Thanks for any comments, good or bad.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Where are the hides from?

I don't know about leather, but when I had my car tinted it had bubbles all over the glass and they assured me, that would go away over time. Sure enough about two weeks later they were all gone.

8. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Tifosi, they are connolly hides, took 5 hides total.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    5? Were they precut/prefabricated or cut from "raw" Conolly?

I'm not just quizzing you, I'd like to know as I have to do the same thing eventually in my 308.

10. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Raw hides. He had to cut them---connolly typically has around a 50-60 percent yield rate from what I was told.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's what I was thinking. In this case I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Doing these from scratch ain't easy.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You forgot to order the little old Italian ladies, to sew it!

Good luck, bro. You've already killed the cows! But I hope it does look better over time. Some of that piping looks WAY BAD, irregular stitching and such.
    My gf used to sew for Cobalt. I'll have her check it out and comment.

Properly done, NO WRINKLES are evident, but I do know it takes some steam and heat exposure to achieve this, so give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

In construction, they hold the last 10% $$$$ a LONG TIME, as retainage!
    'Nuff said?

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Geez, I dunno, do your SHOES SHRINK WHEN YOU WEAR THEM? Does the wife's pocketbook get smaller over time?

Gotta park it in the Sun to make it work? Does your new car come with wrinkly leather that needs time to cure?

Never heard that one before, except from Leatherique who says their cleaners work better if you cook them.

Hey, maybe they would know the answer. I know the owner is a member, maybe he could respond.

George, you out there? LRPMAN?

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=285

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Holy smackers, Steven!

That avatar is too much! LOL

15. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    some other photos from other GT4's that might help judge the new upholstery. It appears that also the stitching lines are off slightly on a couple of them. Egads. You be the judge.

16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Don,

I think in general it looks pretty good. It could be a little tighter though, but maybe it will really shrink.

I can't really tell about the stitiching lines from a photo. The seat has to be absolutely straight on, and you can't be looking at it from an angle.

When will your car be done?

Dom

17. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Dom, thank you for the comments, any and all are appreciated. Yes, I understand and agree with what you are saying......upholstery shop is setting the front and rear seats in the sun for a few days to shrink down the leather. I heard this works from a couple of other of my friends who had theirs done about a year ago and it worked.

I also agree that the angle of the seats plays a huge part in the visual look, a photo can only tell so much. It can't show depth either.

My car is about 1 month away from total completion. I registered the car last friday afternoon at the San Diego DMV, it was similar to pulling teeth. The DMV office there should issue swastika arm bands with their dictatorship attitude. It took 20 minutes of arguing to get them to understand about the 30 year law. $71 bucks for one year of registration. Not bad. The computer for the DMV kept showing that a smog cert was required. The DMV supervisor had to override the system. My baby is now legal. OFFICIALLY! Yeehaw.

18. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Allright!!! You know what I'm thinking... ROAD TRIP!!!

Dom

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Who would notice those lines not being straight? I mean you had to use photshop or something to draw lines so that I could even tell. And who would notice the leather not being tight? I don't know - I think it looks great. I actually prefer the leather looking the way it looks on your seats to when it's pulled really tight (especially when it's pulled tight, and ESPECIALLY with black seats, I think the leather can look really distressed / cracked after not much wear.) So, I don't know... I would be happy with these results.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't feel too bad. My first title came back reading as "Make: Fiat".
    :(

21. onthehood

onthehood Rookie

Jan 6, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Enid Rose
    I say you get what you pay for. The tighter the better right?