Dino 246GT PPI done, trying to figure out value... | FerrariChat

Dino 246GT PPI done, trying to figure out value...

Discussion in '206/246' started by CarreraScott, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #1 CarreraScott, Mar 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    PPI has been done on this 1972 Dino 246GT I'm considering. Overall PPI came through well, with about $2k worth of mechanical work probably needed, plus brakes are on average 60% worn so not sure how long it will be before those will need attention. Cosmetically it will need some work but nothing hugely significant, probably a few thousand to make it quite nice, more if I were to get all of the leather upholstered. The toolkit and books were not present at time of inspection but I am checking with the dealer to see if he just put them in his safe because of their value/ease of stealing.

Car has just about 40k miles. Engine and transmission both rebuilt within the last 2k miles or so, tires (Pirelli) have only 1000 on them. Pretty much everything is original and untampered with, including no Ferrari or Prancing Horse logos on the rear. :)

According to FML the average asking price for a 246GT is around $60k right now. Of course 246GT prices can prob be anything from $40k to $100k depending on condition. This dealer is asking $68,500.

Any suggestions on a good price for this car? Dealer may very well be watching this forum, so I'll say I think it's worth about $25k. ;-) hehe...

Thanks for any advice.
    Scott
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lovely color!

It's not that you pay too much, just that you buy too early!

You are right, anything from $60K to 100K would have precidence.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Give extra points also, for no tack-on horsey badges. Looks real clean.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    wow - it looks gorgeous!

i have zero clue on 246 values, so i'm the wrong guy to opine. but i'd LOVE to see more pictures!

good luck with it!

doody.

5. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    Love that color. Man is that nice.

6. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    A 1969 to 1973 Dino 246GT should range anywhere from 45K to 95K. The high end price would apply to a concours condition car with a proven history. So 68K isn't that bad of a price, even if a little work needs to be done.

Then again, Hemmingway once said that "Pheasant shooting was worth whatever you had to pay for it." And the same can be said about aquiring an F-Car.

7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Hope this helps.

1972 FERRARI 246 DINO Dsp/HP Eng Fair Good Exc Show Loan

COUPE (2,610) 1969-74 2.4/180 V6 36,000 45,000 68,000 75,000 S 41,000

SPYDER (1,274 mfg) 1972-74 2.4/180 V6 46,000 70,000 90,000 97,000 H 63,000

Add: Flares & Chairs $3,000

Data updated March 2004 Manheim gold.

8. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Mmmm, lovely car.

In England, some dealers would be charging 68,000 POUNDS for a concours 246, so price sounds good. Personally though, I'd get a grand knocked off for those incorrect tyres...

Good luck, John

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    MAN that's a beautiful car! As someone else mentioned: no tacked-on horsies and also no Ferrari script. Between that & the color, I think you are right...probably worth $25k tops :)

Good luck to you! Though if you tell me the dealer's name, I might just have to sneak in an offer of $26k :)

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yeah, and that filthy engine. :)

Obviously, driving that Dino is like wrapping a Picasso around yourself and going for a stroll. Mankind has never built a more beautiful mechanical device than the 246GT. Buy it... or I will.

-Daniel

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    If I was in the market for a 246 GT I would definitely pick this one up for around $60k-65k. Seems like a very nice car.

12. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Lovely lovely lovely!

13. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Beautiful car.

Since you are back East my biggest concern would be rust, Dinos have issues with it in the doors, lower panels, and glass areas. I would have a competent body man look at the car for any accident damage, rust etc, mechanical issues can always be fixed but once a car is wrecked they are never the same,then work from there on the price.

14. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Haven't heard back from the dealer yet, but what would the approximate cost be to replace the toolkit and manuals/folder? About $5k? Just want to know what to discount if indeed the car doesn't include those.

Thanks!

15. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    i do not know about the Dino, but toolkits for 60s Ferraris can go for up to $7K alone. I got a repro pouch and scrounged for tools that were almost correct (concours judge will only know after looking at it under a microscope). Then again, I have actually used my set of tools.

16. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I agree, those tires have to go! Michelin XWX's are the only way to go. I have a 246GT, a bit fresher than this one, but I think 60 sounds fair...

17. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hi,

As soon as I've seen it I knew who was selling it. I have used these guys in the past and had an excellent relation. They are knowledgable and their prices are fair. On top they had to ship the car to Europe, a car I had not inspected personally and it was only a matter of trust. I trusted them, it worked.
    Highly recommended. Say hallo to Marc Sonnery from a happy Stratos owner.

The tires do need to go, replaced by XWX which Michelin are remanufacturing at a huge price....maybe you could haggle on the price based on that fact?

18. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Can't believe 246GT prices in US. In the UK we would probably pay £60k for a luscious steed such as that one....

Stig

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Bought a 246 in the fall in PA. Paid $40K, needed major engine overhaul and interior so $60K all in is about right for mine and it has good ten year old paint.

Tour paint looks excellent, so add a couple of bucks for that.

But, door panels don't look right, caps should be black, I think.

Wrong tires deduct $1.5K from the $68,500. XWX's are $275 each, and you gotta buy 5.

Complete set of books can cost you up to $3K tools another $3K, if you can find them complete.

Interior can run $4K to $8K installed for Daytona seats, doors and firewall. If you need a dash recover, add $1K probably, carpet is another grand. But if the interior is currently serviceable, probably can't deduct for those if car is in the $60's.

But paint is nice, has Daytona seats? Runs good, but you still have to figure there's more than $2K wrong, once they dig into it some.

I think $60K is fair offer, at market, for a good, not concourse, but driver condition 246 based on the digging I did before I bought mine and the consensus of opinion at Algar when I bought mine.

Although it is Spring and prices will rise I think. I'd GRAB IT, just be sure to start at the $68,500 and deduct based on items missing. Not sure you can take the $2K it needs in service, since they all need service sooner or later, that's just the cost of ownership.

20. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Scott - I was visiting Tim Stanford yesterday and I saw her. Pretty sweet.

Agree with most comments above. If you want to make the car concours correct you will have to put a few dollars into it..tires, tool kit, prancing horse. The seats show signs of wear but are not damanged.

The dealer has a good reputation. Make an offer based on what is needed to make the car correct.

21. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Forza article a few years back was very helpful.

Check your PM, I can email you a copy.

Dave

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They DON"T HAVE a prancing horse!

You sure Ferrari UK, can't help with a tool roll?

23. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks all. I'm going to offer $57k and see where it goes. I'm in no real hurry and really don't want to move very far up from there. If we can agree to a price I'll go check it out in person before buying it.

Thanks again for all of the advice!
    Scott (in Vegas for a week ! Yea baby!)