GTOhmygod... I can't... I LIKE A PONTIAC! | FerrariChat

GTOhmygod... I can't... I LIKE A PONTIAC!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by writerguy, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Dear god,
    Just got the GTO for review and HOT DAMN this thing halls asssssses

Fit and Finish better than I have ever seen on ANY product out of GM EVER

styling still not warm to but it is a sleeper, looks like a rental, SOUNDS LIKE A CAR GUY WET DREAM!

6 speed manual RWD 350 ponies so far I have to say this is one to watch out for cauz it is only 33k as equipped...

2. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The interior is pretty well done I must say.I'm looking forward to this pontiac myself.

3. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    That's kind of cool looking, like S2000 meets SLK with a dash of Chrysler Crossfire thrown in.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Yes I've been lusting after the S2000 lately but I've always thought the looks to be too bland from the side and rear.The solstice looks awesome in person.I do prefer the S2k's digital guages.I sure it will handle very well when the HO version comes out.Lutz has been pushing for better handling cars at GM and this being his baby I'm sure it won't dissapoint.

5. subgraphic

subgraphic Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Austin
    There is nothing wrong with Pontiacs!

Heres my baby:

6. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Still doesn't say much ;)

I would rather take the slower G35.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually, I first saw this in yellow at the Detroit show two years ago. Mikey liked it. If I wanted a daily driver type of car, this would be on my short list.

Dr "Gonna find a G-T-0" Tax

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i was run over by a Pontiac when i was a kid; if i had to be run over by another one, i would want it to be this one...

9. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    My brother has one and he loves it.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So that whut happened, huh?

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yeah... One of the many concussions i've sustained throughout the course of my life... :)

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

The only car I was ever run over by was a Daihatsu Charade when I was 15 years old. My friend was buying the car, and I was inspecting the motor with the hood up from the side. He gets in the car, starts the car, and its in gear. I am wearing sandals and he runs over my foot! It was painful, but thankfully it was a light car.

Then at 19 in 2000 on my bday, got hit by a drunk driver in a Jeep Cherokee. He totalled my car and flipped it over. I was completely stopped at a red light when this happened.

Life goes on.

13. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    #13 Enzo, Mar 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Pretty impressive bang for the buck. I still can't get past the Cavalier looks though.

15. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The GTO definitely looks like it's gonna be a great muscle car & bang for the buck, but I agree it's just wayyyyyyy too pedestrian looking to carry the "GTO" badge. Hopefully they'll come out with The Judge version sometime in the near future with more aggressive styling & even more grunt. I suppose one could always order Holden body parts to make it look a bit nicer. Hell, it has the same (or similar) LS1 as the F-bodies & Vette so there's a TON of potential there as well. I can't wait to see what kind of numbers can be put down with this car :)

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm a bit worried that you guys think the fit and finish is that good, as Holden (who created the car) is considered very poor in that area in Australia. Saying that there are many Holden fans, but that is because it is seen as Australia's own car. Personally I would never buy one!

The coupe is really just a family 4 door Holden Comodore with a cleverly modified shell to make it a 2 door coupe. Yes the styling is good, but the car it is based upon is nothing to rave home about, but I guess the v8 torque is fun ... if you have a petrol tanker following you ;)

I guess Holden could be making a huge effort to improve trim quality (their biggest weakness IMO), but every Holden I have ever seen after only about 5 years looks like a stray dog has tried to eat the interior ... just real cheap plastic crap!

Also the motoring magazines always critise the rear suspension as been poor on grip, and thus the car is really just a great motor ... which is why a friend of mine bought the hot Ford Falcon instead because they actually handle.

Anyway glad it is appreciated in the USA, but I find it amazing that people over here are prepared to pay almost twice the price for the removal of 2 doors with fnck all driveline improvements (if any) over the 4 door family car. For example the really hot Holden Comodore Coupe (also called the GTO) is over $100,000 AUS, and you can buy some really good European cars for that much dough.

Pete

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Pete,

Look at my above comments. Not everybody in the US is enamored by the qualities of the car. It might have a great v8 and tuning posibilites, but the quality of the car is certainly not up to par with other 33K cars. Glad we agree on this Pete, as opposed to our other previous friendly disagreements ;)

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    When i was 13, some 20-something kid in a Grand Prix hit me from behind at 60-70mph; i was on a bicycle... After 11 hours of being unconscious, i finally woke up with a very tight face and a broken clavicle, among some other minor things... i left the hospital 4 days later...

When i was 10, i was IN a car being driven by a drunk driver... i STILL have the bump on my head from THAT accident; no, i'm not kidding.

Life goes on... :)

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    In another 20 years or so, GM might even get to 1990 Toyota quality levels.

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    So thats where GM learned to make cheap plastic--Holden; Hmmmmmmmmmm

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yeah I still have a scar from the stitches over my right eye left from glass shatterings. It is a good ice breaker when you are in bed with a girl you dont know.

22. bmwmpower48

bmwmpower48 Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Josh Kinard

hahah very true. American cars are still way behind in quality to the rest of the world.

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I've owned top of the line Pontiac Firebirds (4) since 1967. Also bought my first brand new car, a Bonneville when the family started.

Last time my 25th Anniversary was at the dealer, for a sun visor, shift boot cover and window switch, they destroyed 6 of the 10 speakers of the stereo system.

When I complained they gave me that intelligent look I see on Longhorn cattle, and offered zero satisfaction. I replaced the speakers at a Pontiac dealer 35 miles from my home,, paying cash and installing them myself.

Pontiac GTO, Banshee, etc.? Don't think so.

30 minutes of customer abuse, and the management's attitude towards a long time client, has negated thirty years of PR.

I guess my kids will learn how to drive in 308GT4s. I don't think they'll mind.

24. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Ok
    just got back from first run, for the first time EVER i can report this has NO squeeks undo body roll or any down side (yet) now you would think the fact that it looks like a rental is a bad thing but it also blends into the schmuck line really well, Nobody would expect this to be as much car as it is.

Still don't like the looks but the interior is good.

25. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I AM "THE" trans am / 2nd generation pontiac guy. this GTO is a marketing joke. A$$HOLES killed the Z28 and the T/A to give us this POS.. 70 to 72 Z28's and 70 to 78 trans ams for me. the " projects threads' is full of pics of my cars, i dont want to keep wasting ferrari bandwith on my muscle cars. no GTO for me, thank you.