Most sought after models?? | FerrariChat

Most sought after models??

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by navygakman, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. navygakman

navygakman Karting

Feb 15, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Stewart Chung
    Since you guys are much serious about this collecting thing than me, would you post some of the models/makes that are on your wish list? Or perhaps some already in your prized collection that you would consider as the most valuable (but may still be on the market)?

I am going to be doing some foreign travel in a week so I will keep an eye out for them. Gives me an objective to shop for.

You saw what I brought back all the way from Maranello so you already know I got s h i t for taste ;)

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Stewart...

As you can see by another thread in this section, the 288GTO is pretty sought after... From what i understand, the 328GTS pulls in a respectible sum, as well... i'd love a 1:18 Breadvan... i have a 1:18 250GTO at home that i really cherish... i've seen other "road-going" 1:18 250 GTOs but this one is a racing version/edition that i've not yet seen anywhere else... i don't think it's a fluke rarity that i haplessly happened upon, but i do feel it's a somewhat uncommon edition to a collection...

Of course, i cherish my Enzos... Both 1:18s, red and yellow... :)

As for non-Ferraris... My top 4 current DESires are: McLaren F1, Pagani Zonda (Roadster or not, doesn't matter but would prefer the roadster), Koenigsegg CC and the new Bugatti Veyron... Follow those up with a Lamborghini Countach, a Lamborghini Miura and a Lamborghini Diablo 6.0... Might as well throw in a Murcielago Barchetta while we're at it... :)

Of course, when it's all said and done, i'd love a 1:18 model of every Ferrari ever made... 312PB, F40 LM, 360 CS, 330 TRI/LM, Mythos, 550 GT, one-off 456 Station Wagon, etc, etc, etc...

3. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    auto art is coming out with a 1:18 muira sv soon. I will want that for my collection.

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule

Minichamps:
    Michael Schumacher Collection No. 17 - Benetton F1 car in 1:43 about $700

Michael Schumacher 1996 Double World Champion in black, not red box, in 1:43 about $500

Michael Schumacher Qantas GP Ferrari in 1:43 about $600

Jean Alesi F93A in Minichamps box in 1:43 about $500

Any 1:43 Minichamps McLaren F1 GTR up to $800

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Cool models to get:
    1/18 550 GT in racing trim

1/18 125S

Some of the more rare models I actually have:
    1/18 Drogo
    1/18 375 MM
    1/18 500 TRC

plus 1/18 F1 cars from the early nineties (very hard to find these days)
    I also have the 1/18 328.

6. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Despite my almost comical search for a HW 288GTO, I know I'll get one soon (thanks to everyone's help).

In terms of models that are either really hard to find and/or really expensive (all 1:18)

- MG Models 550 Maranello - 4 different Prodrive versions
    - Authentic F40 LM in Pilot (blue) racing livery
    - MDS Models (or Miniminiera or Cavallo Scrimante) F50 GT
    - Miniminiera 355 Challenge (on UT base) at least 5 different liveries
    - BBurago F40s in a whole bunch of different racing liveries

If you ever see any one of these and can afford it, buy it.

Currently, my collection is 100% Ferrari :))), but eventually, I want to collect the UT McLaren F1s (Harrod's, Franck Mueller etc.) and AutoArt has made some nice LeMans Vipers that I'll eventually collect as well.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I got a 1/18 F40 Bburago in racing livery in Maranello. The trim was based on a real F40 racing in Italy. It came with a picture of the real car and driver and the model was signed by the driver. Didn't cost me much at all.

Joe, do you have a picture of the F40LM. Sounds like this might be a fun project for a conversion.

Without a doubt the most money I ever paid for a 1/18 model is the 355 Challenge car: Sponsoring Rob's race team.
    :)

8. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Andreas, it would be an awesome project. Here are some pics of the real thing, the Bburago version that I have and an unbelieveable model from scaleautoworks.com

9. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    real #2

(only one pic per post?)

10. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bburago version

11. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
  12. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have been looking quite a few years for a 1/24 F355 Challenge model kit. It's been so long that I have forgotten the mfgr. I think it was Fujimi. If anybody has seen one PLEASE let me know!

Thanks!
    Dave

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Joe, thanks for those pictures. Any chance you could send me some highres pics to my personal email ([email protected]) since I would use them to produce the decals.

Bburago cheated: No cuts in the front hood, bummer. Oh well, so I got a chance to do better, ha!

14. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Andreas,

lol - Bburago definitely cheated - they just slapped some blue paint and some stickers onto a standard F40! But when I saw it, I still couldn't resist. The hood and the wing have to be perfect for the real thing - that's why I was so impressed with that transkit.

I'll send pictures to your e-mail.

BTW - do you have a website with pictures of your models? I'd love to see them.

15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Well over $800 right now on Ebay and it is only 1:43. I was going to get it for DES, but he prefers the hot rod VW bus.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No website Joe. There are several threads in the old forum (Like "How to make a 288 GTO more realistic") with pictures.

Interesting to see the wing on the LM. Just like the F40 1:1 scale replicar from the Kiwis.

17. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a red pilot F40 but took the stickers off making it streetable.

I have another red F40 that came from Italy as a gift. it has a leather stand with a nameplate in Italian.

18. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Mule,

I already bought DES 10 of those for Christmas, so you'd better get something else - like that "Slightly Modified" whatever that thing is.

19. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    By the way Andreas, I haven't forgotten that you're supposed to be working on an F50 GT as well! :)

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Darn, the cover up didn't work. I feel the pressure...

Have to get a WHOLE BUNCH of cutting disks for my Dremel tool to cut through all that steel. Just removing the rear wing will take forever.

21. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i've got an ERTL 275 GTB-4 in red/black that i bought off of ebay. i remember that it's the most expensive one i've got, but don't remember the inane sum i spent. i believe i ended up bidding against our illustrious host rob for it (unbeknownst to me at the time).

pic below pulled off some french site hithertofor unknown to me:
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jm.charassier/ferrari/grand/minifer.htm

this is probably the crappiest 1:18 that i've got (tied with the mira 512TR), which makes the cost even more annoying. but it's one of my all-time fave f-cars, so i had to have it.

they also made them in white and yellow. Cavallino Models (board sponsor) has this specific one listed at $150. i wish hot wheels would do a version - i'm sure it'd be WAY nicer.

doody

22. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I too have the 275GTB but in the less desirable white, very poor quality but I had to have it anyways. I also have the Miura 512TR in yellow, it is kinda funky looking but again, it's the only 512 I've seen. I only collect the 1:18 scale Ferraris. I don't want to get caught up in the other sizes and variations as that get's expensive. If I'm going to spend that kind of money it will be on my real Testarossa out in the garage. Oh...my coolest model is a P4 in 1:18. Don't know how old it is or who made it, but it is really a neat one!

23. Ian H

Ian H Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    England, UK

Hi tifosi12

The 512BB was released by Kyosho, but also Chrono. Regarding the Kyosho models, the differences are there, but they are very slight and could be easily over looked.

Internally the steering wheel is different, the 512BB has a "double" 3 spoke wheel and the 365GT4 has a solid 3 spoke wheel, plus very small changes to the center console controls.

Externally, the 512BB has a vent between the rear wheel and the door, plus body styling under the front bumper, the rear styling is also slightly different, plus the 512BB has 2 rear lights each side and 2 twin exhausts, the 365GT4 has 3 lights each side and 2 triple exhausts.

I hope this helps.

24. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    what's odd is... I have the exact same one that Joe V posted, however.. mine is red! All the stickers, the #'s are the same, but it is red. Definately odd... eh, and dusty. Time to dust the models.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bburago and others often "rebrand" a car by throwing on stickers and then sell it as a race car. I so totally hate that. They don't even have the decency to change the tires or the seats. Well, I guess that's where the modeler comes in...

BTW: Does anybody know whether the 512Bbi model 1/18 scale (Kyosho I believe) is the same as the 365 model with a different paint job or did they actually change the internals as well?

I hate to get ripped off again. Speaking of: Another most annoying thing is the release of the new F1 car models at the beginning of the year when in reality it is last year's car with new stickers.