My 308 "GTO look" project | FerrariChat

My 308 "GTO look" project

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by bert308, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I posted "building a GTO" in the old Fchat exact 1 year ago, here is a little update. Work takes much longer than I originally estimated. Especially preparing for paint. To smooth out 1 door takes me 2 working days, the frontspoiler I did many times and it still is not good, etc. Anyway, I'm not getting it painted before winter so I put some temporary paint on it with a brush, a 5 Euro can from the home improvement store. So I can actually get an idea what I'm building and it protects against surface rust. With some gloss I can judge the reflections on the surface and I have to say, they look a little weird some places under certain light. I'm not happy with the decision I made to turn the transition between door and rear panel into a sharp angle instead of a smooth transition like a GTO has, but I'm not gonna change it anymore. There are some other small issues that have to be corrected. Except the painting I didn't do anything for over a month but now I'm starting some regular maintenance, change the belts, examine waterpump bearings, rebuild the brake calipers and other things. Hope to have the car painted and, short time after that, on the road next spring. Here are some pictures.

edit: pictures from the start until now: www.ferrari308.tk

2. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
  3. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
  4. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Look how left and right are indentical (almost), not as easy to achieve as you might think! In fact it is more symmetric now than it was originally. Take some measurements from your 308 and you'll be surprised!

5. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Ignore the agricultural background :)
    The tires are still white from sanding dust.

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    The paint is not THAT good.

7. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    68-66-72, perfect measurements for a car?

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Topless GTO? Looks like Barbie's Ferrari...

9. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Last one. At least one picture with some photographic quality. The paint on the car is to orange, like the formula-1 red, but in this picture taken at full tele it looks more like the normal darker Ferrari red.

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thats awesome. Doing anything to the motor?

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I've been following your project since you first posted on the old FChat site and I'm impressed with the work so far. Keep it up, it looks really good.

Do you still have your Lancia Montecarlo? A picture of that, plus this 308 of yours came up on a Lancia site I was looking at some time ago...

12. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Herbie and the Montecarlo, both waiting for better times to come...
    The crank from the MC seized, 2 years ago. There was always something with that car, the 308 is much more reliable and easier to maintain. If I find the time however I will fix it. Some day...

I'll leave the 308 engine standard, I want to drive the damn thing now, and often!

13. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    man..you have some nice cars! And you have 'guts' to just cut open a Ferrari to re-built it as another model :)
    It starts to look really nice!

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Where did you get those front turn signals? Real?

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Andreas. Did you ever check out that website yet? The one that I posted for the guy out in Arizona who does the 308/288 conversions. He can probably get you any "individual" pieces that you need,so that you can do it a little bit at a time. Check him out. www.italianauto.com He's very knowledgable,and professional. Knows alot about Ferrari's. He has a really nice set-up out there. I've been out there. ...Bert,your car looks very cool. Did you ever check with this guy for your mirrors? He has been in the business for awhile,and has advertised in Hemmings for a long time. They are pretty particular about their advertisers,and jump right on someone's ass if they don't deliver,or,send "junk". So,I will venture to say that you can trust him. Believe me. I've been to his place,and,he's not going anywhere!(leaving)...ForzaFerrari,I'm with you on this one! I couldn't do it to the car that I have now. I'd have to find one with some body damage or something,so that any cutting,changes,etc... would not only make the car "cooler",But...at the same time be improving it,and "fixing it"..

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Frank, I know both of these places, thanks. They do have the mirrors, I know.

However nobody has the turn signals. In another thread a long time ago somebody stated the same thing: The hardest to find piece of the entire GTO conversion are the darn front turn signals. First I thought no big deal, until I saw them in real life: They're very tiny and it looks Bert just got them right.

17. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Man that is looking great! I have been following your project's pictures for a while and you have made some real progress! Cant wait to see it on the road...and Im sure you cant either :)

18. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Front turn signals: for months I was watching each car I came across to see if it had suitable units. I thought the Suzuki Alto's came closest so I got those at a wrecking yard (no, I didn't go out at night with a screwdriver to get one from a nurses car). I made the front bumper, and THEN I found, in an old box at home, the Fiat 127 units I bought long time ago for my Sud but never used, and those were perfect! I had to rebuild the frontbumper then, but is was worth it. It may be possible they used the same lenses for the GTO, at least I have Italian "altissimo" written on it now instead of japanese. The round indicator repeaters however have "japan" written on them, I'm cheap :), also I think it is funny to give the "know-it-alls" some ammunition: "you see it is a kitcar, it says japan here!"

As I mentioned sometime on the old Fchat, I ordered mirrors from Jim Carpenter, Phoenix Arizona, he also sold the bodykits, and he was really friendly in the ordering process. Then I paid the 452 dollar including shipping with paypal and never heard from him again. I could see he was active on ebay, using the same email adress I used, so neither he or his computer crashed or died. I was to late complaining with paypal, so I filled in a recharge form with my creditcard company, and they did a recharge so I got my money back. Paypal is investigating the matter now, I'll wait for the final result, maybe Mr.Carpenter has some crazy excuse and will sent the mirrors after all, I don't think so however and then I will contact Mr Hooper at Italianauto. I was thinking to get some suitable mirrors from another car and put them on a flagstick, but hey, do I have to build everything myself? I noticed in the build that very little details can make or break the car, and convincing, not homebuild looking rear mirrors is one of those.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Bert for the info on the turn signals. Would you be so kind as to elaborate what Japanese car the side turn signals came from? I have been doing the same thing btw, checking every street car for similar signals, but in the US that is a bit harder to do.

In case you find nothing for your mirrors, I know the guys in Long Island (Berlinetta Motors) use just plain mirrors on their rebodies. Vitalonis would be pretty cool I think.

20. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Nissan Sunny and Micra, about 1987-1990. I can sent you some if you want, they're for free and plenty around at my local wrecking yard.
    I see the original Ferrari signals on the Dutch ebay sometimes and they are like 50 Euro or something, not worth it for me.

I also got some Audi 80 mirrors as that is one of the few modern cars that still has mirrors on the doors and not in the corner of the windows. They can be fitted and look good, maybe a bit to modern and streamlined.
    I decided to treat myself to some real (=replica) GTO mirrors. First I thought they would be a bit over the top (haha, litterally) but I photoshopped them on my car and now I think they are way cool.

21. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    looking damn good bert!

I really want a 288GTO with GTS open roof. You are building the dream!

Best!
    Ben.

22. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    wow, bert... that 308 re-body is really coming along great! I've been following the pictures of your project for a long time and I'm really impressed by your meticulous nature.

Keep up the awesome work. Hope to see her on the road soon!

Byron

23. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Great job. That car really looks sharp.
    Erik

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Car is looking great!

I hope you can get all that sanding dust out of everything, as it is a real bast*rd. I assume thus, that you have plans to change the interior too ... I would get in there and clean it out asap before it becomes permanent if I was you :)

Can't wait to see more progress installments.

Pete

25. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i too have been following the rebody project. WOW! its nice to see someone tackle a job like this and come out on top. great news on the progress and please keep us posted!