The Museum of Flight | FerrariChat

The Museum of Flight

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Spasso, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #1 Spasso, Mar 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After our little visit at Goodmans race shop, Peter, his dad and I went down to the Museum of Flight to take a look at the Concorde. My dad was kind enough to buy us lunch and take us on a tour of the museum .

The first picture shows an airplane of a type I can't remember but was powered by a Mercedes engine. Brass radiators on each side.

Other shots include
    The first Boeing airplane, The B&W seaplane

the yellow and black GEE BEE Racer,

the M21 high speed reconnaisance aircraft with dorsal mounted drone. This aircraft is an early version of the much larger SR71.,

The Concorde, cockpit and pictures of signatures of the last crews to fly. The nose and Rolls Royce Olympus, afterburning engines.

A group of Boeing commercial aircraft showing the heritage from the 737, 727, the first jet powered Air Force 1, 707 and first 747

An F14

The bomb load on a Grumman A6 Intruder

A Pratt and Whitney 4360, 28 cylinder radial engine, four rows of seven.

A J58 engine used in the M21/SR71 blackbird. The afterburners.

Assortments of early propellers inside the original Red Barn where Boeing got it's start.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Thanks, DJ!

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    DJ forgot to add that his Dad was involved and had a hand in many of the restorations of those planes in that museum. Please encourage your father to write his experiences of working at Boeing for 50 years, that would be a fantastic read...

4. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    do you know Tom Blakley he is my cousin and worked at Boeing for years!

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    DJ, the type of machine powered by the Mercedes is a flyable replica of a 1913 Etrich Taube ("Dove"). They were the first warplane used in WW1 by the German air force. Speed was blazing 50mph. A good comparison to the YF-12 ( SR-71) which flew at M.3 and 80K feet.

BP

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I'm afraid I don't. Boeing is sort of like the Army. Too many people spread over to many areas.

DJ

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    One of the great air museums in the country. If you have time, try to get up to their restoration shop at Paine Field in Everett.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I am fortunate to work across the street from Paine Field. Just need to get over there more often. They are in the process of restoring a late model Comet last I heard.

There is a private operation up here that is building 5 ME262's after disassembling a real one, reverse engineering it and restoring it for the Smithsonian. The versions are the two seat night fighter types but I thought they were going to do a single seater as well. The engines are 'recowled' Lear jet engines that will produce twice what the originals did. All are sold at this time. Fascinating! Go to www.stormbirds.com for more info.

DJ

9. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Pacific Northwest / Florida
    Full Name:
    Janet
    Great photos of the Museum of Flight. I love that place! The exhibits are amazing and even the people watching is wonderful. Old aviators with their memories of the good old days and future aviators with their dreams of the good old days yet to come. Very cool.

If you ever find yourself in Pensacola, Florida be sure to spend a day at the National Museum of Naval Aviation. http://naval.aviation.museum/home.html I have been to museums of flight all over the world and the Naval Museum is at the top of my lst.

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hi Janet,
    Welcome to the site. Thank You for the link to the Florida site. Go Navy! Some of the best out there.

I could spend a couple of months going through the Smithsonian itself. taking a tour of the others would be better yet.

I forgot to mention that one of the restored Me 262's was sent to Germany to be placed in a museum there courtesy of the Messerschmit Trust.

I would also like to see and hear (and fly in) everything the Confederate Airforce has. Now THAT would be an experience of a life time.

DJ

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Coming in June the MoF in Seattle will be opening the Personal Courage wing that will house most of the recently aquired Champlin Fighter Collection from Scottsdale, AZ.

The staging and period decoration is supposed to be excellent.

I hope it will be easier to shoot pictures in than the Glass House. Everything is backlit in there!

DJ

12. Janet

Janet Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Pacific Northwest / Florida
    Full Name:
    Janet
    "I would also like to see and hear (and fly in) everything the Confederate Airforce has. Now THAT would be an experience of a life time.
    DJ"

What a great collection they have. That would be a thrill to get to experience so much speed and history first hand!
    Janet

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Hi Janet,
    I'm an old pilot who has flown in and flown many of the aircraft that you aluded to in your comments about the CAF, incliuding the P-51 ,the B-29, B-25, etc. It is truly wonderful. It would be fun to chat with you and to welcome you to a great bunch of people.
    BP