Barber Motorsports Track (Birmingham) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Barber Motorsports Track (Birmingham)

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Mike C, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Mike - any idea of the schedule on Saturday? What would be a good hotel near the track for Fri. night? Maybe we could all rendez-vous for dinner somewhere...

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Since it's just 10 minutes from the airport, any of those hotels would be ok. In any case, I talked to Ness yesterday and he said he was going to send an email out early this week (which I guess means today or Wednesday) with details about the schedule and also hotel suggestions. If we have a group staying the night in Birmingham on Friday, I'll probably come down Friday also so we can meet.

3. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    I guess it depends what time things get going Saturday as to if we'll come down Friday...

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Details passed along from the event organizer:

1. Friday night, March 12th, we will have registration at the track between 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm for those who want get there early.

2. Following registration we are gathering at the Lone Star restaurant for dinner at 9:00. Please call me if you are planning to attend so I can have a head count for them. The Lone Star is located next to the Jameson Inn and Comfort Inn & Suites.

3. Saturday morning we will have registration again between 7:00 am – 7:30 am.

4. Driver’s meeting will be held in the Media Center on the second floor from 7:30 am – 8:00 am in the Race Control Tower.

5. We are allowed on the track at 8:00 am so I am hoping everyone will be punctual and prepared so we may do exactly that.

6. Our first run session will be broken up into 3 groups for a very slow lead follow. Very few of us will have driven the track before and it is very technical. I am thinking an extra 15 minutes of going slow should save us hours of waiting around while people get pulled out of gravel traps.

7. After the lead follow session, we will divide into two run groups and run consecutively for the rest of the day breaking an hour for lunch.

8. Bring pocket change for lunch; it will be served in the Media Room on the second floor.

9. We have the track to ourselves from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm which gives us plenty of track time. Please start slow and use the time to learn the track. There will be ample time to run the course at speed and still be tired at the end of the day. J

10. We must be out of the Park by 7:00 pm.

The Two hotels that have given us a corporate discount are the Jameson Inn at $64/night and the Comfort Inn & Suites at $68/night. These two hotels seem to be the most accommodating for our car situation. Ask for the Ness Sala / RPM Autosport rate. Please contact them ASAP as rooms are limited. Both have a complimentary continental breakfast. The Jameson Inn has Doubles and Kings, the Comfort Inn has Kings only. The Comfort Inn is a tad nicer.

Jameson Inn
    4730 Norrell Drive
    Trussville, AL 35173
    (205-661-9323)

Comfort Inn & Suites
    4740 Norrell Drive
    Trussville, AL 35173
    (205-661-3636)

Directions from I 20 west to the Hotels.

West on I-20
    North on I-459 exit 136 (3.3 miles)
    North on I-59 exit 33B (3.4 miles)
    Right on N Chalkville Road exit 141

You should see the signs at the end of the exit.

The Track is exit 140 off I-20 then follow the signs.

There will be gas available at the track and please email me the names of any guest you are bringing. I need to put them on a list or Barber Motorsports will charge them an entry fee, I believe $5.

5. Johnny Fleeman

Nov 4, 2003
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Full Name:
    John H. Fleeman II
    Dr. Tommy,
    Do you know how many Ferrari's have sign up for this weekend. Randy & I will be driving down Friday evening. I haven't talk to Crawford White yet, I know he's coming but don't know when. Will we be allowed to take passengers on the track?
    Johnny.

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Passengers will be allowed on the track as long as they have an SA95 or SA2000 helmet.

7. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Forecast looks perfect for tomorrow. Sunny, 63 degrees, no wind. See everybody there bright and (too) early!

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Couldn't ask for better weather. See you there, Crawford -- I'll bring your helmet with me.

Mike

9. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Well, that was a lot of fun. A very interesting and challanging track. I really enjoyed some of the turns, especially the ones with elevation changes. Felt like the tracking the "Eau Rouge" twisty at SPA!

10. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Anyone have some pics to post?

11. VPC

VPC Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2002
    MI
    Full Name:
    Victor
  12. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    I heard a rumor that the Lotus Elise launch is going to be here... anyone have any info?