328 doorlocks malfunctioning - Help! | FerrariChat

328 doorlocks malfunctioning - Help!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by docdan, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docdan

docdan Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    South Carolina
    Just bought a beautiful '88 328 GTS and had it delivered cross country. Upon arrival, it seems to be in excellent condition with one exception -- the doorlocks don't want to stay locked. When I lock either door with the key from the outside or by pushing the lock down from the inside (with door closed, of course), the lock pin will go down easily enough but then immediately there is a buzzing from within the door and the lock pin pops back up, unlocking the door. When turning the key in either door in the opposite direction nothing happens at all...

Since it does the same with both doors I'm suspecting an electrical problem as opposed to a mechanical one, though I'm open to any suggestions.

2. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    Mine do the same thing intermittently. It is mechanical. not electrical. One or the other is misaligned inside the door which triggers both to unlock. the culprit is usually the driver's side. I had my mechanic fix it when I first got the car and it was fine for about a year, now it's doing it again.

On occasion, closing the door with "some authority" helps. sometimes it doesn't. Don't panic, you're not alone.

tom

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Sounds like you're door catch machanisim is out of adjustment. Very simple fix. first loosen the 4 5mm allen head screws on the latch on the door jam and move it inwards slightly and tighten. close the door and try to lock it. If it does not lock adjust a bit more. This is quite common with these cars.

If this does not do the trick then further study of the problem will be needed obviously.

4. docdan

docdan Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    South Carolina
    Wow - that was fast! I will have to take a closer look at the doorlock assembly on the inside of the door frame. Sounds like a simple enough fix, though its a little intimidating for me to tackle much more than turning a screw when the closest Ferrari dealer/mechanic is about 140 miles away.

Just to be sure, if it is the driver's doorlock that needs adjusting, should that adjustment fix the passenger side doorlock too?

Thanks again.

5. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I had the same EXACT problem on my 328. Here's what was done on mine: The door lock "motor" (referred to as "solenoid" on the T. Rutlands receipt) was found to be faulty on the passenger side, hence, was replaced (by a trusted mechanic). It fixed the problem temporarily. I say temporarily bec. I noticed during warm days the door lock worked well; on very cold winter days, the same problem you described came back. So then I removed the upholstery panel (on both doors) to expose the door lock mechanism and sprayed all the joints/connections with WD-40 and "exercised" them (you know, moved them back and forth so the lubricant works its way inside the joints). BINGO! The problem went away COMPLETELY. I guess the extreme cold kind of stiffened or froze the
    joints impeding their movement. If you have a problem on one side, you cannot lock both sides.

Hope the aforementioned will help as your problem description is exactly what I had before.

Ron

6. clokey

clokey Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ...so I'm not alone! I purchased an '88 328 GTS about 6 weeks ago and have exactly the same door locking problem. I assumed it was an electrical problem and planned on getting my local installer to take a look the alarm/remote locking etc. These posts are really helpful and clearly I need to take a different approach. Another job for next weekend! I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks!

Paul

7. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just to be sure, if it is the driver's doorlock that needs adjusting, should that adjustment fix the passenger side doorlock too?

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Yes, only if you don't have a problem on the passenger side.
    Again, even though the problem was found on my passenger side, I also sprayed the driver side (w/ WD-40) anyway.

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    On my 328, a misalignment on either side will unlock both doors.

It's the passenger side that causes mine to do this once in a while. The "quick fix" is to push on the door, just at the latch (yes, it means putting your hands (or a clean rag) against the paintwork). Even with the door fully latched, sometimes the sensor doesn't twig to it without that extra push.

A little graphite lube (I found some at Ace Hardware) helps the latches work better. It's messy to apply (have lots of kleenex available -- you don't want to clean a shop towel with this on it), but it gets a lot of gunk out of the latch mechanism without having to take the door panel off.

Central locking may have been a big wow at the '86 auto show, but 15-20 years later, it's more annoying than useful. ;)

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    328s have electric locks?

Hmmmm, guess there's something new to fix on my car :)

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Yeah, the circuit runs through the cigarette lighter! :D

11. clokey

clokey Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ....well that was an easy fix. I made the minor adjustments recommended and lo and behold the locks work fine (touch wood).....a 10 minute fix. I wish all repairs were this easy. Many thanks all!

Paul.