Just picked up... | FerrariChat

Just picked up...

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by 134282, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, man...! Was looking for one thing and found something else...! Can't wait to take pictures and post them...! Stay tuned...

2. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh... & their Ferraris, but by Maisto - do you think they're collectors' items or no...? Thanks... :) Will post more when time permits...

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Are they DESirable items, Mr. Vague?

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    They're DESireable to me... :)

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule

DES,
    They are "collector's items" if you collected them. Heck, everything these days is labeled collector's item - DVDs, books, models, etc.

The Maisto Ferrari models are getting more rare, since they have not been made in a few years. Some are actually pretty good quality. I have some Maisto Mercedes models that are very nice.

So what are they and where did you get them, Mr. "I got a secret".

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ok, it appears i've given the impression that my acquisition was an incredible one; one whose degrees would boast of near-impossible circumstances...

...not so.

Although, sort of, for me.

Without ANY OTHER FERRARI stuff in the entire store, on an otherwise empty shelf, i found 3 Ferraris, all yellow, by Maisto. They're Skill 2 models that need to be put together; you know, the snap-together models with the prepainted metal frames...?

All in a row, without any other Ferraris in the whole store, on a shelf that was otherwise completely empty: 355 GTS, F50, 550 M.

i couldn't believe it... i cut, severely, into my food budget, but who cares, right...? What's an occasional lunch here and a dinner there for three very cool models - all of which will be put together tonight...!!!

By the way, the box on it says Copyright, Maisto, 2003. Not sure if that means anything to you folks... Thanks for listening... :)

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh... i got them from Toys R Us... :)

8. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Speaking of DESireable Maisto Ferraris, they made a 1:18 550 Maranello that was (well it appeared to be) TDF or Pozzi blue. Very hard to find. That too will be worth some budget crunching DES. Or if you find it and don't want it, I'll buy it off you.

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    DES,
    I saw those at my local Toys R Us. They look pretty nice. The 355 was red here, though.

Great find. It looks like the Mattel monopoly is changing.

10. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    If the Maistos you found were 1/24 - 1/25 scale, they were recently released. I've seen a couple of them in Hobby Lobby stores.

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Joe, i've never seen that one before... i'll keep it in mind, but i'm dropping any heavy coin on toys currently; just little stuff, here and there...

Mule, i saw two more, at another Toys R Us, last night; the F50 i saw was red... Was thinking of getting it, but i already have a 1:24 red F50 (although, i got it from a gas station and the prancing horses were ripped off and it's really crap quality)...

So does this mean that Hot Wheels no longer has exclusive rights to Ferrari toys...? While putting the models together last night, i was thoroughly impressed with the detail. Little prancing horses everywhere, just like the real cars... On head rests- everywhere! It was great... Maisto did a great job and i even like the boxes the models came in... :)

12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    DES,
    The original Mattel/Ferrari deal was for five years, and started in 1997 (not sure when it was instituted). The first model was a 1:43 360 Modena prototype. They began selling 1:18 and 1:43 F1 cars the first year, then the street cars. I have heard different stories of Ferrari not being happy overall and not wanting to renew the contract or renew it with Mattel only. I am sure there will still be Hot Wheels Feraaris for a long time, but maybe with competition.

Timing wise, the deal is either in its final days or over, as Kyosho and now Maisto come back to the game. BBR continued to make Ferraris the entire time. I would love to see Minichamps back in the 1:43 F1 cars, and maybe Auto Art in the 1:18.

Nothing really solid, but expect to see more non-Mattel items, especially as holiday shopping starts.

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mule, even if Hot Wheels continues to pump out Ferrari models, that's fine with me; my biggest problem with them has always been availability... That have that stupid hot rod VW bus on every shelf in every store across the country, but only a handful of Ferraris in select locations... If more companies start manufacturing and distributing Ferraris and/or other exotics, maybe there will be more of a chance of finding more, more often...

Hopefully, as you mentioned, the holidays will play into that, as well... We'll see...

14. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    DES,
    So you are saying I have to take back your Christmas present - a stupid hot rod VW bus? I got you nine of them at Big Lots.

I believe Mattel marketed more towards Europe, and some to Canada, much more than the US. Though, I can't blame them, since this is more of a NASCAR market, where they are very successful. I think they wanted the same success in Europe with F1.

It makes it hard to find many items in the line, so Canada is a good resource, and usually the exchange rate tilts our way. I never could find the 1:64 F1 cars here, always Canada or Hong Kong.

Hopefullt Maisto will expand to more models. If they make an Enzo, I'll sure let you know. At a decent price you could get a few Enzos and start modifying/color changing/experimenting. How about an Enzo GTR?

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    A 1:24 Enzo GTR...?!? :::GASP!:::

Stop it, Mule, i have a weak heart...!!!

That would be really cool, actually... Taking apart, swapping, gluing, screwing, taping and such matters would be good practice, too, so when Christmas comes and you give me those 9 VW hot rod buses, i can make a toilet out of them... :)

16. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I still maintain that Mattel has a marketing strategy for the Hot Wheels Ferraris that defies all common sense, rhyme or reason. I'm pretty sure that they throw darts at a map and send the most-sought-after Ferraris to wherever the dart landed :). There is no way a company should make it so hard for the consumer to give them money!

Competition is always a good thing for the consumer, and it would be great if someone like AutoArt got a Ferrari licence (at the "above Hot Wheels but below Kyosho" price point).

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Joe, that's the most accurate DEScription of hot wheels i've read to date... It's also funny as hell...