348 Back Up Lights | FerrariChat

348 Back Up Lights

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ksullender, Mar 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    My back up lights are not working. I checked the bulbs and they appear ok. I checked the passenger side fuse panel where it indicates rear fog lights assuming this was for the backup lights. Visually the fuse and relay appeared ok and enterchanged them with other ones and the back up lights still don't work. Can anyone give me a direction to on with this?? Thanks.

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    have you tried to actuate the switch manually? There is a rod that the gear shift lever hits when you put the lever in reverse. It is accessible, and even more so witht he shift gate up. Try pushing it in manually, making sure it is thrown all the way, possibly your gear lever isn't throwing it far enough for some reason.

Vincent.

3. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    If you are refering to the switch that you can see through the gate, yes I've pressed it manually and it still doesn't activate the back up lights.

4. Whatever

Whatever Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2002
    Highland Village, TX
    Full Name:
    Dan Marlett
    Replace the switch in which you refered to above. 100% possitive.

Dan

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Ken: I just saw this thread, and there is some slight misinformation here. The "rear fog lights" are NOT the same things as the back-up lights, so if you are checking the fuse for the rear fog lights, it is not the same fuse as used by the back-up lights. In the manual, fuse #7 in the step pad box controls the turn signals and the back-ups, so if your turn signals are working but the back-ups are not, it could not be a fuse problem. The rear fog lights are controlled by fuse #24.

The rear fog lights are not hooked up on cars for the USA market. In the European market, there is a switch in the blank location next to the front fog light switch, and this controls the rear fog lights. You turn them on to give your car extra visibility from behind in heavy fog conditions. On USA cars, the portion of the rear tail light assembly that would be used for the rear fog lights is simply a reflector, although there is a bulb there.

If your back-up lights are still inoperative, first check to make sure you are checking the correct bulbs (the ones behind the white lens). Then check for power to the switch with a test light. If no power, it might be unplugged. If you have power, make sure the power gets to the output side when the rod is pressed. Should be easy to diagnose.

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Might also add that if the switch is bad, you could probably rig up a switch from the auto parts store that would do the job for a fraction of the price of the original Ferrari switch. It's just a pushbutton.

7. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Jeff, thanks for the advice. My turn signals do work, so this weekend I'll try your suggestions. Thanks again.