Paint question | FerrariChat

Paint question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by charliek, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    I was thinking of repainting the Boxer trim on my BBi. Does anyone know the corrct paint to use? I seems to be like an odd flat/semigloss.
    Thanks

2. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    there are a couple of ways to do this. first off most paints available today are urethanes. they are much more durable than anything previous but they are a bit trickier to use.you definately don't want to breath any of them.
    -the first way is to purchase a single stage paint. whatever paint companty it is (Ex. Glasso, Spies, PPG ect.) will also have a flattening agent that can be added to the paint in different amounts so the paint will harden to the desired level of gloss. you can make test panels before you actually put paint on the car. This way takes time but is very similar to the way the factory did it.and i think better (at one time paint companies made flat black paints directly from the can but has discontinued them from lack of sales and V.O.C compliance laws.)

-another way is to use basecoat paint and a flat clear. a easier approach because paint companies do make flat clear. you simply apply basecoat in desired color, let dry and spray on clear. the downside to this is that it only has one degree of gloss and if it doesn't suit you its too bad. some of these clears are made for bumper covers for cars such as Mercedes and the like so they also can contain a flex agent which will slow down dry time.

first step is to locate a QUALITY! autobody supply store which caries brand name paints preferably a european paint line (these are high end euro car sand should use the same kinds of paints they came here with!) the people there should be able to walk you through the correct use and mixing procedures of the various products.
    i hope this helps you out

3. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    Hi, I bought touch up paint for my Boxer from Classic Coach In NJ. I also understand they are one of the best shops around if it is more than a small job.

Joel

4. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Thanks guys, for a while I didnt think anyone would reply. Joel, I know Frank at Classic Coach well. It is only about 20 minutes from my house so maybe I will just get him to do it. Right now the Boxer trim is in Gloss black. It happens to look great and is easier to take care of but eventually I will want to put it back to original.

5. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    The original paint is Glassurit 21 line single stage. I used Glassurit paint in the 80's, If I remember correctly the code was 1240. Glassurit does not make 21 line anymore but you can get it in 22 line which is the updated version. If you do not want to go with the single stage paint and want to keep it clear coated you could scuff your gloss paint and recoat it with clear mixed with flattener. You could change the degree of gloss with amount of flattener you add to the clear. (do a test panel first)

6. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop