Good bottle or no? Wine | FerrariChat

Good bottle or no? Wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by F360@20, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    I recieved a bottle of 1971 Vendemmia Barolo red wine.

says on the bottle- valfieri di maregof cugnosco Alba Italy.

2. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    I wish i could help you.....whats the cost of the bottle?

3. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Price? I have no idea it was a gift.

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #4 PeterS, Mar 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Is that the bottle that has all the wine mixed together or something?

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The only time I've ever seen the face on that bottle has been after I'm out after a fifth of walkers. Sorry I couldnt help.

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Best way to figure out if a bottle of wine is good or not is to drink it!!!

Same goes for cars except that you drive them...before you drink the wine.

Seriously, just drink it and let us know how it is.

Vincent.

8. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Barolos (made from nebbiolo grapes) generally age well, but my guess is, unless it was stored properly (correct temperature and humidity and layed on its side) it is now vinegar.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What Vincent and Paul said - methinks the best thing to do is have a hearty meal prepared, this bottle and another bottle ready to uncork - along with being prepared to properly decant the contents of the bottle if the cork is a bit on the dry side, but the wine isn't vinegar (yay). On the other hand, if this bottle fails to please (boo), you've still got the other one and are prepared to enjoy the evening. If the '71 turns out to be fine, it will be a spectacular evening. If it isn't, you'll get sympathy sex (yay), so either way, it'll be spectacular.

10. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    If you won't drink it, don't cook with it.

11. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I think you may have this backwords. The word Vendemmia in Italian means Grape harvest. It is found on a lot of Italian wine bottles. It sounds to me like your bottle is from the 1971 harvest. Also Valfieri Is the name of one of Italy's great Nebiollo Producers. Valfieri is an estate owned by the Riccadonnas family. They have 2 vineyards in the Piedmonte, which is where I believe your wine is from, and 1 in the Trentito Alto Adrige which produces mainly whites. Di in Italian means of, and Alba is a city in the piedmonte where as it happens, the Valfieri estate is located. I am not sure what Maregof Cugnosco means but my guess is it is a place in Alba. So, I think the phrase Valfieri di maregof cugnosco Alba Italy probably translates roughly into The estate of Valfieri of Maregof cugnosco in Alba Italy. It is also possible that the Maregof Cugnosco is a family name. Some of the producers in Italy are small family growers that sell thier grapes to the larger estates for blending with other grapes. It would probably help to determine if this wine is a blend or a pure varietal. Barolo though is considered to be one of Italys more important wines!