360 Spider - hood problems ? | FerrariChat

360 Spider - hood problems ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by exiges, Mar 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    I've heard that the hood mechanism is always going wrong on the 360 Spider..

Funnily, when I went to my dealer I asked him whether the hood were a problem, he said he'd never had a roof go wrong (though he hadn't been working there long).. so I asked to see the hood mechanism on the car I was interested and hey presto the thing didn't work, and jammed... (naturally they're going to be fixing it before I collect it)

Who else has had problems ? and who hasn't ?

2. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Initially when I got it there were a few hiccups - touch wood - I have had nothing in the last year. The main issue in jamming is to remember it is not flexible in terms of user friendliness. Never try and start the process when travelling at even 3mph and don't try and edge away before process is completely done.

Other hiccups I had included incomplete extension but the boys at Verdi's tweaked one wire and that issue has never come back. That was due to my parking of the car for several weeks with the roof down.

3. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    No-one else on this site owns a 360 Spider ?!?

4. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    never had a hood problem

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Be patient. Owners will chime in.

6. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i have a hod problem, the "lids" jam while opening/closing i dont think its a major issue though, and its a new car so i guess its like a teething problem

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i have had my 02 spider for only 3weeks...so far no issues at all, esp with the top...it is a complex mechanism with several motors at work... i hold my breath each it goes up and down.... i have heard it is good to cycle thru at least 1-2 times a month...my is getting usage 4-5 times a week!!!lbtw it is a great top , well insulated and quiet...no leaks but then i hope to never find out if it leaks!!!!!

8. jenzo

jenzo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    JENZO
    I have an 02 Spider, never had any issues with the roof so far.......

9. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Only if the car has been sitting for more than two weeks, just like mine since I drive the "other one" more.

Need to wait the pressure build up to close it completely. To open no problem at all.

This is the beauty about Italian cars,

Shelbee

10. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Almost 20,000 miles and counless up and downs with no problems on my 01 Spider.

11. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    The top (hood) does require some maintenance. My 2004 had a problem going up after 200 miles. A microswitch was replaced. My 2001 had some issues but after several service calls worked fine.

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Don't own one.....but the hydraulics leak occasionally. It happened to two of my customer's cars last year.

The majority of the top mechanism is basically almost a copy of the current SL500 setup mechanically, according to an ex-MB technician I spoke with who worked on one of the cars for me.

I learned something new today....."hood" means convertible top....heh....

I already knew about the boot and bonnet thing though.