88 Mondial 3.2 Cab in Arizona for sale less than $40,000 | FerrariChat

88 Mondial 3.2 Cab in Arizona for sale less than $40,000

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 62 250 GTO, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    That Buy It Now Price is a little rich.....

2. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I was looking at a very similar car in Dallas a few months back> based on what they told me, this car would be about $7-8k overpriced.

3. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Car is located in Albany, New York area according to listing: ph#518-376-3451. i don't think they're going to get their buy it now $'s!

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    i think they will be lucky to get mid 30s, if all the service is done

5. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    The car I was looking at was an '86 with 26K miles in good shape but would need a major in about a year. The seller wanted $39k. I offered $28k. Never heard a word after that. I would think that the ebay car should only fetch about $32K if all work is current.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    When I traded my 86 3.2 Cab in on the 456 last year, I figured it's value in the high 20s. Then, the dealer took it to Barrett-Jackson and sold it for $39k! So, who knows...

My car was no show car, either-- almost 50k miles, ratty interior, various electrical gremlins, major service in 2000.

7. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I just bid on it!!!!!!!!!!

8. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Someone just outbid me, and paid the 'buy it now" price........$41,900.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It's a $25k car tops. Remember, it cost about the same to service and/or rebuild the engine on a Mondial as it does on a 250GTO, or 275GTB, Boxer or other much more valuable car. If you blow the engine on a Mondial, it is Chevy v8 time !

10. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    It might be worth it, considering if you buy a Mondial t and have to fix all the problems common with those (dual disk clutch's $$$$$$$, flywheels, alternators, engine out majors $$$, weak gear boxes, starter/ignition switch issues, just to name a few)
    you'd wind up spending alot more.

with a 3.2 not much goes wrong.

11. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    frank I am surprised you forgot that a mondial has eight cylinders as opposed to 12. your statement that service and rebuilt costs are the same is totally off the mark, as you have said you can easily buy a crate 3.2 engine, try getting one to fit in your boxer or gto for the same price

12. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Damm,

If P.T Barnumm was alive today he'd be selling Ferrari's...

I cant believe that drew 41K.

Ebay is my economy monitor.. things are looking up..
    Patrick

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Wrong Joe. It cost between $25k and $35k to rebuild most Ferrari engines whether they be v6,v8,V12 or flat-12. While a 12 may cost a little more, not much more considering the total price of the rebuild. And yes, for certain models it would be a lot cheaper to just buy a NOS crate motor that to pay for a rebuild, but not in all circimstances. However, I would rather have a 12 than an 8 in ALL circumstances.

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Believe me, and I speak from experience, there is a *lot* which can go wrong with a 3.2. Let's start with poor build quality, wacky electronics and wiring, rear window motors, etc.

From a drivetrain standpoint, I think you are right that the 3.2 is pretty good, but the rest of the car, mamma mia!

15. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    I was commenting on the 3.2's reliability >> speaking from a relative standpoint, relative to other Ferrari's and the Mondial t.

Then Frank Parker comes out of left field talking about rebuild costs ?
    Who's talking about rebuild costs in this thread ????

Obviously someone who buys a 25k mile example isn't concerned up front about rebuild costs on day one. ( wow )
    (maybe Boxer guys are concerned about rebuild costs early in the game...hmmm not sure....)

I know quite a few people who could buy Boxers with no problem but didn't because:
    A) Can't seat 4
    b) They're prone to overheating (didn't your's overheat Frank ?)
    c) AC doesn't keep them cold enough (didn't you have trouble with your AC Frank ?)
    d) can't put the top down
    e) far more expensive to maintain than some other older Ferrari's

16. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    frank loves to play both sides of the issue :) anyone who thinks maintaining a 8 cylinder 80's ferrari is comparable to maintaining a 60s, 70s or even 80s 12 should have their head examined.

17. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    I have a red/tan '88 3.2 cab. Not concours, but quite nice and EVERYTHING works. Major was done by an independent 18 mos ago. New clutch 12 mos ago. 20,000 miles total - 2000 since major and 1000 since clutch. No documented service history (other than the two years I've had it), but the car is in truly great shape.

Only reason I'm starting to consider selling it is that I want a 456M and the prices on those are approaching my budget.

If anyone just has to have a 3.2 Mondial cab, let me know....

Wait, it's Spring, let me know in the Fall....

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    THAT's strange! It's NOW RELISTED started at $15K. WTF???