NEWS: 308 Door Pin Switch | FerrariChat

NEWS: 308 Door Pin Switch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by enjoythemusic, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to keep everyone updated. Ordered door jamb switch # 31602 for an Alfa and it IS NOT the same as the Ferrari. It not only does NOT look the same, it has a stand off (protrudes too far outward, no flush) and can not even be "catabolized". Oh well, $18 to the Waster Parts try bin in my home.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    "catabolized"? Do you mean "cannibalized"? :)

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Steven,
    Could you post a pix?

I'm thinking it might be useful for something I"m looking into.
    - Verello

4. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Steven,

Do you have a couple of good photographs of the original item?

Paul

5. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Rats. I need three...

-Wayne

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good lord! Did Ferrari actually design these themselves, or did they find some others from a "3rd party" manufactuer? It'd be kind of silly to design a door pin switch from scratch for a single application...

Truth is, you can really get by with one. The passenger door is seldom opened by itself at night (except, say, opening the door for a lady after going out to dinner, on your way to your car). There are two in the drivers side. Now, I'm going on memory, but one is linked to the "door open!" buzzer (which I disabled anyway), and the other to the dome and door panel end lights... The latter is really the only one you need.

It seems these can be "rebuilt," though. All mine have failed at one point and it looks like a "C" spring washer--where you squeeze it on, the ends of the C expand, and then contract right back down over the shaft--could solve the problem.

And iflast sentence excited any of you, I invite you to check out the Bikini thread in the Off Topic forums. :)

--Mike

7. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Photo is Alfa on top, Ferrari below.

You know what? After taking out the original pin and looking at the design, IT SUCKS!!!!! Is not waterproof in the least bit. So tomorrow will go to VIP Auto and find a proper alternative to make it BETTER than original. Tired of screwing around with inferior part BS.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

NOTE TO FERRARI UK: The new red side door lights you sent me light up and look GREAT!!!

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #8 Verell, Mar 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ummm,Ah, Steven,
    I hate to say this, but you did NOT find an equivalent to the # 316201 switch I was referring to in the International-Auto.com catalog (see below). It looks like the switches you bought are most likely #34339 in the catalog.

In any case, I concur that the switches aren't very well made. However, there is supposed to be a rubber boot that fits over the rear end of the switch that insulates the contacts & keeps them more or less dry.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Verell,

Thanks my good friend but... There is a BAR CODE on the official Alfa packaging that says "0060516012". The staples are weird (Italian) small that seals it so i have a feeling the part number we desire is not what we felt it was.

Yes, there is a rubber boot behind the pin switch but frankly am tired of this BS and will find another part at VIP Automotive today. Just not worth all these hassles for a stupid pin switch IMHO. MANY pin switch designs ALSO have a plastic boot cover on the FRONT to make for a proper seal. This way both rear AND FRONT will be water proof.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Verell,

Please accept my apologies as you are RIGHT and i am WRONG here. Let us hope we can get a hundred or more of the part you pointed out.

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

11. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    After reading this thread I got out my trusty telephone-book size Newark In One electronics supply catalog and found hundreds of pin switches. All sizes and shapes, waterproof or with separate rubber boots, etc. Most are around $4.

If someone would post the dimensions I'll try to find a match tonight -I'm on my way out for the day. Or you could try to find one yourself in their online catalog - www.newarkinone.com.

I've bought components from them for years and they ship promptly and accurately. No affiliation, blah, blah...

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Sorry to hijack.............

Nice picture of Billie Bird in your avatar.

DJ

13. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    but steve, what we really want to know is: "did you run out of girls?" LOL!

14. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks, Billie is usually right here with me as i type. Billie is one of the few living things i am FULLY commited to for life. Billie is suck a sweeie too :)

Did not run out of gals, they just keep making more of them everyday. Fact is, i was given a kindly reminder from The Man Upstairs (the omnipotent, All Seeing, King, Creator, and Almighty Rob) that perhaps it was time to change Avatar themes.

Enjoy the Walk,

Steven R. Rochlin

PS: The car is now at KTR, MANY new goodies and will probably redo the entire interior as well.

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    the original switch in my gt4 looks more like the alfa one pictured. Waterproof!
    my car has felt on the windows, and 1 nail hole in the bottom. Dont take it out in the rain much!

16. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i got 2 of them from ebay. call algar ferrari at 1-800-441-9824