Black spots | FerrariChat

Black spots

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cooly0, Mar 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I have an '80 GTSi and on the back of the car Seem to appear Small black spots much of the time, I think this may have been here since I have gotten the car or soon after. I do think I have fixed it by playing with the air/fuel. I just recently found of of course that it was coming from the exhaust when it left it's traces on my tan pants. Any idea's incase it comes back.

2. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    My 99 355 has this too. Tiny specks of black that you don't see unless you look close.

I've put this down to general road grime and every now and then make sure I give the car a damn good clean. A finger nail with lots of water is often good enough to get rid of it. Note that when you do this you will smudge the spots and they will, initially, look worse. Patience is key here :)

I'm not convinced it all comes from my car due to where it gets! Think it's just a downside of using the car and nothing to be overly concerned with (unless you have masses of it!).

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    If it's road tar a little lighter fluid will take it off. (old body mans trick).

If it is soot or oil from the car a light misting of Simple Green takes it right off. It also takes some of the wax off but it may be better than the finger nail method and the scratches from.

DJ

4. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Probably true - but we're not talking Dolly Parton nails here :) nice and soft when wet.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you have removed the cats, it is common to get this black stuff on the back of your car. Clean it off with Simple Green as Spasso says, or a mild wheel cleaner like the Griot's stuff.

Or, put the cat back on...

6. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    well it's not road grim for me, since it did get on my pants, when it was in the warm up mode. So it is coming out of the exhaust. Their are less dots now that I turned leaned the air/ fuel but they are still their, Ill try tweaking it again, any other ideas?