F355 WHITE SMOKE/MISSING/BACKFIRE? | FerrariChat

F355 WHITE SMOKE/MISSING/BACKFIRE?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by f355james, Mar 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355james

f355james Rookie

Mar 14, 2004
    Hello and thanks for reviewing. Im brand new to ferrarichat, and having some problems with my 95 f355 spider. Car is smoking from tailpipes a pure white color. I thought it was maybe some water in the exhaust. So I took it out for a run and it started stuttering in 1st and 2nd gear. When I stepped on the the gas it made 1 loud backfire noise, and stalled. I was able to restart it, but in stalled another 4 times before i was lucky enough to get it back home. Any help would ease my mind alittle. james ,san diego

2. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Pull the oil dipstick, any white foam? Headgasket Is it using excessive oil? oil rings or Valve guides. Is the fuel recent/good? Will it idle or do you have to rev it to keep it running?

These are the big things, it get smaller from here.

3. f355james

f355james Rookie

Mar 14, 2004
    Thanks for repley...it will not idle,starts then stalls...it seems to use a good amount of oil. i will check for foam?

4. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If its using a good amount of oil, with no foam. I would start by pulling the spark plugs and look for oil fouling on them. If you find a cylinder or 2 with oil on the plugs your looking at the dreaded valve guide problem that has plagued the 95 355. keep us posted.

5. f355james

f355james Rookie

Mar 14, 2004

no foam found, thanks for the info

6. f355james

f355james Rookie

Mar 14, 2004
    It turns out it was just the over fill of oil. drained it out and the smoke went buy buy.