Do you ever think about the less fortunate when buying a ferrari? | FerrariChat

Do you ever think about the less fortunate when buying a ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TimN88, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Did anyone here who bought a ferrari ever think about the positive effects they could have had on others lives if they donated that money? For example, according to information i found, it costs $0.30 for a meal in one of thos african countries. This means that the $180k you spent on that modena could feed 300,000 people for a day (2 meals a day). Do you guys ever think about that or is the idea that "its not my problem" seem to be general feeling?

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I would rather show a 'less fortunate' how to become a success for themselves, out of their own rite. Everybody in the USA has an equal chance to attain personal wealth and success for themselves. Regarding other countries, instead of spreading good will cheer, spread free market capitalism.

When buying... whatever it may be, I don't think of things like that. I do not feel guilty for my own success. Why should I? Nor, am I class envious. Some other person out there mas much more than me, financially speaking, but I know I can get there my own damn self, if not... beyond! Aside from credit databases, nosy marketing agencies who read credit databases and the FBI, does anybody else care what I buy?

EDIT
    "Give a man a fish, and you fed him for the day, teach him how to fish, and you fed him for life"

- Gabe

3. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Absolutely not. Wealthy people are the ones who buy Ferraris and they are also the biggest contributors to all charities. And it is not because it is a write off. It is still giving away money. Bill Gates has unbelievable yachts and houses but he is also the biggest donater to charity at somewhere around 20 billion. there is nothing wrong with enjoying what you have earned as long as you keep it in perspective. You should give some away, and spend the rest like a madman. My wife is Brazillian and her country is much poorer than ours and she says they are much happier people. maybe we should give it all away.

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Good point. Giving people stuff rarely helps them in the long run.

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I believe in survival of the fittest. I may not be rich or very stable financialy compared to some of the people here, but I am happy with where I am. If someone like me can do it, there is no reason why somebody from Africa can't. Thus I have no sympathy for anybody else, and if I am driving a 355 in 5 years, and ten people can't eat, sorry. I paid my dues, time for them to get their lazy asses out of whatever they are doing, putting the malt liquor down, and doing some work.

Before some people jump down my throat (I am sure many will), I am a first generation immigrant. I come from one of THE poorest countries in the world. I am a person of color. My country is listed as THE most corrupt country in the world. I have faced racism like you would not believe. I have faced economic hardships like you would not believe. (try doing homework when you are living with 6 people in a 400 sq feet studio).

If one has the ability and drive, everything and anything is possible in America. If someone like me can break the color barrier (well I might not be president or CEO, but I will be successfull), the economic barrier, the education barrier, I do not see why someone else cannot.

I am not willing to give a handout, so no to answer your question, WHEN I do buy a ferrari I will have no guilt whatsoever.

*If my above post has changed your views/opinions towards me, I am sorry*

6. NY Joe 360

NY Joe 360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lets see.. there's a ton of business owners on here. They have businesses which hire employees. These employees now have a livelihood. Immense boost to the community. These employees in turn buy stuff which helps..... get the picture?

Business owner spent some of their well deserved profits on a luxury car. Car needs gas. Helps local gas station.... wait they hire people too. Car needs mechanical work.. helps dealership, who hires mechanics... car needs tires... and so on.

A whole nothing can of worms is African starvation (caused by overpopulation). There's that old saying bout give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach him to fish you feed him for life. Obviously didn't work in that country where they seized all white owned farms last year, and the ensuing mass starvation and famine =)

Africa is the absolute most resource rich continent on earth. They need to not have so many damn kids, educate themselves, and get their **** together. Probably won't happen for another 100-150 years.

7. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Now this guy I respect. I wish you could teach this to some of the lazy bums in our country.

8. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    You guys ever notice that countries that are ran by black or latin amercians are poor. there is not one country in the world ran by black people that is classified as first worl. Many are barely 2cnd world. I am not racist at all. I know it sounds that way. I am a realist. That is just the plain truth. I am just pondering why.

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    lafun,

come to the Ferrari challenge race at sears point. We are meeting at ferrari of SF at 8:30 this Sunday. Probably some open seats to get in.

Vincent.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    While I agree with the concept of what you are saying the truth is that we do not all start equal. Some people in some countries, where their government are more concerned about spending money in a futile attempt to remove their neighbours, are born into unbelievable poverty that we probably cannot, or would not believe.

I read, or watched, a story about a young boy who was bringing up his sisters because the soliders (or someone) killed his mother. He had 2 little sisters if I remember right and his main concern was to hide them all from the slavery trade which would have taken his little sisters for prostitution ... :(

I also read somewhere (something like Time magazine) about the African boys who fight these stupid wars/battles somewhere (can't remember the important details) and these boys were like 9 years old or something. One of them just had a mate killed and he was threatened with instant death if he kept weeping ... :(

So again on a level playing field, yep agree 100% in what you are saying, but it just isn't so, and it is naive to think so. Those kids do not have a chance and the only way we can give them a chance is to change their countries governments stupidity.

This is one of the reasons why I support the removal of Sadam Husien ... I do not 100% support the reasons it was done for, but we should have removed him many, many years ago. IMO NATO should remove many other leaders too, but NATO has become impotent and prefers to turn a blind eye to the atrocities happening in some places around the world.

Would I think of others when buying a Ferrari? ... hmmm, probably no more than anybody else. Do I feel guilt when I read or hear of others problems?, many times yes, but I also feel helpless and while I could donate my life to trying to do something, I just don't think I am ever going to make a difference ... and I guess that there are many who think like me, and thus nothing happens :(

Pete

EDIT:

I believe in many cases this is caused by tribal wars or infighting and thus they waste their money on that. This definitely appears to be causing many African countries problems. Why is that? ... I wonder. Why can't they just get along? Is it because their leaders are getting fat and rich due to the gun trade, etc. ... I don't know?

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thank you.

I really wish I could teach it to someone. I was telling my friend yesterday (white middle class 21 years old), that he should open up a roth IRA. We added it up and he spent about 2800$ this school year on girls alone. I told him he could just open up an account and start saving. He looked like I am the biggest idiot ever walked the face of the earth. He said he will start saving when he is 30 and proceeded to tell me "in America, the 20s are the time to sow your wild oats and have fun! You don't know what you are missing out."

Everyone in my dorm is surprised that I am against affirmative action, and that I am not a democrat. I guess being a person of color, I am automatically supposed to support affirmative action and go join Jesse Jackson and the other democrats.

In reality, I do think everything is doable. In this "liberal utopia" that I live in and go to (UC Berkeley), all we ever learn is how we are keeping the black people down, and how racism is so severe that no one can get ahead. There might be some truth to that, but if you REALLY want to make something of your life you can. I immigrated here when I was 14, and could not speak a word of english. I still don't speak english very well, but I learned, and did it on my own. I don't understand why the Spanish/Black and other people can't do it? I studied for the SAT on my own, and did well enough to earn a full scholarship, and I hear that the SATs are not fair and all this other junk. If you don't have books go to the library and read. If you are lazy, well then you deserve to be poor, hungry and uneducated.

I am certainly not tooting my own horn or looking down on other people. If I come across that way, my sincere apologies. It just makes me mad, when I hear people that have excuses for everything. It is time for those people to shut up, and get their butt in gear and do something about thier lives. If people used the energy they do in complaining and whining and used that towards something productive, they would be much further along.

Also giving handouts, or to charity does not work. Case in point is the country I come from. We get significant amount of aid from Japan and a LOT from the US. You know where the money goes? To corrupt govt in my country. The government officers are driving Range Rover HSE, and benz s600 in a country that has no real roads! We need to improve education system in this countries, and teach them to use thier own resources. Giving handout is a copout to me. When for 4 years I lived in a hole in the wall, I did not want someone to give me a 5000sq feet house, I wanted them to teach me how to EARN that hosue.

I think in today's world, the value of hard work and the reward from that is not often seen. We have become a world of tv watching, fast food eating, rely on other people to do my crap, BS. It truly is sickening.

*sorry for the long rant*

12. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am talking about the peolpe who dont even have clothes to wear, much less the means of even being able to learn how to add and subtract. You cant blame someone for being born into that situation. That is one that you truly can not get out of. They have never watched TV though, so they dont know how much better their lives could be (ie. like life in this country). I guess ignorance is bliss.
    Alan, i know that billionaires like bill gates and ted turner donate billions of $ to charity, but there are definately people who give none away. I give alot of credt to gates, turner and others because they know that they have more money than they or their families could ever need and they could be doing good with it. I bet anyone who lives by the book "rich dad poor dad" doesnt. I havent even read the book, but from what i gather, based on some of the sutff they suggest theres way in hell they are going to suggest giving your hard earned money away, which would go against the basic tennets of the book. (i may be totally off base here, bc i havent read the book).

13. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Stay on this track and you will be a success. I own my own business and I have 2 Brazillians, 1 frech guy, 1 columbian and 1 puerto Rican and just 1 white guy besides myself. Americans are lazy in general. We have been too rich and fat for too long and we will go the way of the Romans, Egyptians, English, French...etc. All ruled the world at one time or another. Just make sure you get yours here in America before someone takes it from us.

14. NY Joe 360

NY Joe 360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Heh I feel the same way. I explain to many people they should open a Roth as soon as possible, and most common response is "HUH, Can't use till 60? What a waste." Bush tried to help further encourage people to save by his Personal S.A. /Retirement S.A. accounts (7500$ max in each), but the dems whinned, "It'll only help the rich!!!!!" I fail to see how an extra 4500 in retirement savings maximum a year would help the millionaire, but how it would be unbelievably helpful to the middle class. But thats the Brain Wasting Syndrome caused by Liberalism for you =)

Only in America can you be a dishwasher till age 60, and retire a multimillionaire thanks to your IRA =)

And I believe your friend will find what *he* missed out on, when he's getting by on his 800$/month social security income, and wondering why he never saved money when he was younger.

15. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Lafun

come and meet some cool people on Sunday. Lots of F-cars....probably a ride.

What do you think?

Vincent.

16. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I have read the books and I live by them. They are a must for everybody that wants to seriously make it. They do not in anyway suggest being selfish with your money though. They are quite the opposite.

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Pete,
    I agree that that I did not have the life of war and I cannot imagine any of that. It is different for everybody. I know of a guy from Israel (lost his whole family in a bombing), and now is here, and making a life for himself. Will he become the next Billionaire? Probably not, but he has a good life, honest work, and is happy.

Yes my mom and dad are still ok. I did not have to deal with the prostitution aspect. However it was not easy at all. For me this is strange to talk about, because I do not really share my life with anybody, but for some reason (probably the great folks here) I feel a true kinship with the F chatters. We were supposed to immigrate when I was about 9 or 10. However my family could not afford it. For 4 straight years, we ate rice soaked in cold water. Never touched meat or vegetables because we could not afford it. We were saving every penny. I stil remember, I had one pair of sandals that I wore everyday (it is a very dusty, humid climate), and it tore to shreds, and the day I got on the plane to the US, the air hostess gave me some shoes that she had on the plane. I have never been in a car in my life before my plane ride. You cannot imagine the poverty and dreadfullness of such a place. It eats at your heart and your soul, and you can only get by if you have the will and stamina to hold on, before the black hole of despair swallows you alive. I came here with one shirt, and the shoes that were given to me. No means I want you to think I am rich, because I am not, but I have made significant strides over the years, and all without selling drugs or doing anything illegal.

I cannot fathom losing one's parents in war and the difficulties it might bring. So my story is more geared towards people who I know can do it, but just doesn't. I cannot speak for someone who has no family. For me all those times of despair were only saved by my drive/will and love for my family.

As far as people in Africa having no education. My mom and dad have 3 and 4th grade educations, yet now they own a very successful small business here, that allows them to have a home, and a comfortable life. I did not go to school from 10-14 years old, but I am here writing to you from across the pond in a somewhat coherent manner.

I guess the bottom line is, a country like America, where opportunity abound, everything is doable, if you want. Of course one has to know thier limitations. I know where I stand in the social climate in this country. I have no unrealistic ambition of being a senator or cracking the WASP eliteclass on the east coast. However I have my own goals and hope to achieve them.

I think my story should be one of motivation and determination, and in the process I do not look down on anyone. However laziness and apathy are qualities I will not stand for.

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Tim, your Acura TL could feed quite a few people too. Why don't you just become a monk?

You've never said stuff like this before.... Are we sure someone didn't hijack this guys login?

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Read my above post. :)

Tim, one may not have a TV, but the power to dream of the human mind is immeasureable.

20. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Vincent,

Thank you for the kind offer. That is very gratious of you. If I could make it, I certainly would come. However a ride would not be necessary. I could look from afar, and that would be enough joy for me. :) I go on spring break starting thursday (day after tomorrow), and will be going to LA to spend 10 days with my family. I again thank you for the offer. After I get back, if you guys have any other events, I will surely come by. If you are ever in the Berkeley area, do say hi. Napa is a nice place, I ride with some of my buddies out there around lake berryessa.

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    You got quite a melting pot there alan. You need another guy to work for you;)? LOL

22. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

For his sake, I hope that does not happen. However you are correct. My ex's mom is 44, just got divorced, works at a $13/hr job, and has not a single penny of savings.

Her dad is a mechanic at a dodge dealer, and just got convicted for his 5th DUI I believe and is serving 1 year in prison.

It really saddens me to see people like this throw it all away, when they did not have to.

TIM__sorry for hijacking your thread like this.

23. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    That almost brought tears to my eyes. Great story. Thanks for the share. Makes me realize and appreciate what I have. Don't believe in those barriers. They teach you alot of crap in college. i learned it too. Mostly colleges a run by learned losers. I should not by all means be where I am, but I 3 corporations, live in a nice house and drive an M3 convertible, Landcruiser and F355F1 spider. I'm 33. Not trying to brag, just trying to motivate. With your background you could be rich very quickly. No one in my high school class would have ever guessed it out of me, except for me. Get ahold of the Rich Dad Poor Dad books. Great reading for a student. I will help debunck alot of what colleges think about business. Good luck.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well done to you and your parents. Your story, and I am sure many others are very motivational.

I just wish that these stupid wars did not exist and then others might be able to start the trek you have trodden ... but that is naive of me.

Another good story for me to end on ;):

Many years ago hundreds of very small African (I think) children who had been orphaned thanks to war decided to get out of where they lived. I believe many were as young as 4 years old ... amazing. Anyway they walked across some desert to get out of their country, with no adults let alone parents. Many died on the way but some made it and created some sort of refuge and schooled themselves, etc.

Not long ago a few of the survivors managed to get acceptance to relocate to Australia and are now living in Queensland ... this is why I know the story because somebody did a doco on it.

Just amazing and when I look at my 3 year old daughter and 2 year old son, and think of my childhood, I can not imagine what it would be like at 4 years old being alone and having to make such a trek ... so sad but so enlightening for those that made it!

:)
    Pete

25. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thanks Alan. I actually couldn't believe that I shared the story with the board. Since I am in a writing mood (writing a paper for my criminal justice class), I decided to share. Yes lot of people don't appreciate what they have. That is certainly a start, to be thankful for what you have. :) Thank you for the motivation, that is a great story. Congratulations on your hard work. :) I actually did try to get the book, but my school library does not seem to carry it. I also looked for "richest man in babylon" and they did not have it either. When I am home this summer studying for the LSAT, I will get it from the local library.

Thank you again for the words of encouragement. I do take all the advice I get on this forum to heart, truly an eclectic group of people.