355 vs Mustang race...finally | FerrariChat

355 vs Mustang race...finally

Discussion in '348/355' started by allanlambo, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Well, it just so happened that my wife and i happened to run into Mr. Mustang himself today at Costco. So i prompted him to see if he'd like to do a little run on the way home. Luckily we had the 355. He agreed. We ended up slowing down, taking up 2 lanes, blocking traffic and getting a light. I have not practiced launching the 355 at all, so i figured what the hell, reved it to 5000 rpm held it, light turns green, and i dumped the clutch. The tires on the 355 arent particularly new, so i had a little more wheelspin than i had hoped for. It really didnt matter, for as soon as it hooked, the Mustang was history. Id say, by the time i hit 4th, he was atleast 10 cars behind us. Not even close. This was also with my wife in the car, the top down, full tank of gas and groceries.

So of course now he has called, saying he had a bad launch, and we have to go again.....

2. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I'm glad that it wasn't too close ;)

I mean, groceries and all...

3. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Just as I suspected. Smoked his ass. I guess he has new respect for italiens now.

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No, he seems to think at the track now he has a chance.

5. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Italians I mean.

6. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Then he'll really be shamed

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It probably was a 3.8L V6 or 2.3L I-4 that you raced.

LOL

8. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Thats great to hear!! Hurray for the 355!

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Next time Allan to make sure he has no excuses, just sit there idling, let him take off first and when he gets a car length in front, give her a rev and drop it and scream past him ... then he will feel like a complete d!ckhead :D

Pete

10. If it was the V8 it would get smoked to a whole amout of lawn mower type noise but no go. He will get even more destroyed at the track.

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Careful about those 3.8s Sunny. I know of a certain 3.8 that could smoke your Eurotrash :)

*cough cough*

12. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    HAHA! he must of hated hearing the sound of the exhaust blow by him!

13. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I've driven a dong-load of F-cars, and I used to race Mustangs.

You guys can talk trash all you want, and perhaps the guy Ellen raced against either blew big balls or was in a V6.

I had a 93 Mustang LX 5.0 with less than 5k in mods. BBK shorty headers, BBK h-pipe, flowmasters, GT40X heads, Cobra intake, 1.77 Roller rockers, under drive pullies, and lots and lots and lots and lots of other stuff. 291rwhp, 347rwtq. Driven with 3.73 rear gears - would peel out in third gear. I embarrassed a lot of people in that car.

I paid 6k for the car in 97 and another 4k in mods. 10k, and that car would have literally put most of the F-cars on this board TO SHAME. I've driven 355's, TRs, 512s, 360's, 550's - with the exception of the 550, my little 93 Mustang would have beaten all the others up to 100 mph. After 100, it'd be no race, but the fact that a 10k, 30-year old techonology ridden Mustang could spank a 355 or 360......well, I'll just leave it at that.

I guess it makes a lot you you feel good to race vicariously through Ellen against cars that cost less than 10k and beat them with cars costing over 100k.

I also guess it makes you feel really stupid when you get *SMOKED* by a kid in a fox-bodied 5.0 mustang costing less than 10k.

Ah well. Such is life.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Don't show this post to teak360 (refer thread: torque versus hp for 360 replacement) this just could not be possible ;), after all HP is everything to teak360. Thus how could this torquey Mustang beat HIGHER HP Ferraris ...

Gee Mitch Alsup and Brian Stradale, what excuses will the confused teak360 come up with for this REAL life example of what we were saying.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D , just too funny!

Pete
    ps: I think I'll have to pm my mate teak360 ... ;)

15. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love this story. Everytime someone like that loses they try to make a excuse about there launch or something of the sort.

16. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Foxes own, I hope to buy my uncles black/red 93LX(hate the GT's) 5.0/5spd that is in a storage locker. Don't know where you got the 30 year old technology thing from though... Since the chassis was created in 79, and is still being used today(last model it will be used on). Oh, and Aloha Allan... I heard my name was uttered in a Viper convo tonight? congrats on the kill.

17. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
  18. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

BIlly,

Mustangs can be fast no doubt. But people don't buy Ferraris to race them on the drag strip. A ferrari is a purchase of something exotic, like an award to yourself for accomplishing something. Not everyone lives their life 10 seconds at a time ;) I have no doubt you had a great car, but you cannot look down on 355s and 360s just because they can't keep up with you.

I can probably buy a honda and mod it up, and race your mustang, end of the day I still have a honda, you have a mustang, and the gentleman has a 355/360.

Thus I think the comparison is not very fair.

I sense a sense of hostility in your voice like "well you have a 100K ferrari, of course you should whip on that guy"

But you have to understand the thread in the context, that mustang owner challenged ALLAN's wife at work before.

Its all relative.

Enjoy the nice night. :)

19. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    The Fox chassis is less than 30 years old, but the pushrod 5.0 is a derivative of the 289 pushrod engine, which was developed prior to 1964. The 5.0 of 95 (last year it was used in a Mustang) was pretty much the same 5.0 used in 69 Mustang GTs.

And I, too, love Foxes. I spent a lot of time and a lot of money playing around with them. I was going to buy one a month ago, but decided I better not, cause I would end up spending all my monthly income on go-fast-goodies.

20. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    Well, the attitudes in this thread make a bit more sense! :)

In the guy's defense, the car was an auto. The guy's a dumbass for even attempting to race with an auto mated to the DOHC 281. That engine needs to be launched at no less than 4000rpms...that engine, while a great screamer at 6700rpms, is asthmatic and wheezy at low RPMs, and unless the guy was a drag champ (which does not seem to be the case), launching a DOHC 281 with an auto competitively is HARD.

I applaud Allan for shutting the d00sh-bag up, but I suggest that some of you take a 5-spd 2003 Mach 1 out for a test drive. You'd be pleasantly surprised!

21. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy

Every time you call me Billy I cringe! :) I put that up there as a joke - I go by Bill, but you can call me Billy if you want. :)

I'm well aware of the different reasons for buying an F-car vs. a Mustang - trust me. I wasn't really trying to compare the two, either. The problem is, I didn't know about the original thread, and just assumed Allan was gloating over the killing of a Mustang in his Ferrari. As as avid Mustang fan (I like them almost as much as F-cars), I felt compelled to come to the Pony car's defense. Had I read the original thread before, I would have responded differently.

22. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Jordan, a slight correction. Sunny's Jag isn't Eurotrash, it would be British trash (not that I think it's trash Sunny, Jordan started it LOL)

23. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Sorry for calling you that. I thought that was your name, my apologies kindly.

See ALLAN is not really a bad guy. It is just funny everyone just jumps down his throat, eh well that is another thread for another day.

My dads friend bought his wife a Salen S351 for her 42nd bday. He drives a Roush convertible (the tan color..the new ones)..

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    First off Nibbles---, who you calling Ellen?

2nd off, i think Mustangs all suck. Period Point blank. Worst car in my opinion. I hate them.

As for your Fox body Russtang, i posted on another thread how i raced an 88 Lx style trunk body, with many mods. He beat the 355, but not by that much. I think if id of had the top up, it would of been even. In the end, the Russtang is just a dime a dozen $hitbox.

25. 4RE RaCer

4RE RaCer Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    KT
    Nice road kill AllanLambo... I just hate those smucks that think that everytime they fire up their POS Stangs that they become "Vanilla Ice Baby..." You are probably going to have to watch out for every tourist in a Stang Conv. wanting to race your 355... I would have loved to see the blue haired tourist reactions to your street kill...I probaby wouldn't give this guy a second chance at the track...Allan,I'll be at my Napali Condo next week any chance that we can get together and "talk story" ....4RE RaCer