BBR Builders: What type of glue do you use for the "glass". | FerrariChat

BBR Builders: What type of glue do you use for the "glass".

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by nickm, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    Hi,
    I'm building a few 1/43 BBR's and am a little afraid to try gluing on the small headlight covers & windscreens onto the bodies. The paint jobs/decals look absolutely awesome and I just can't see how these small, clear pieces of plastic "glass" can be glued in place with no residue showing. What type of glue works the best? And...how can the small headlight covers be held in place while the glue is drying?? I'm mystified. Thanks so much!

2. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    Nick,
    Go to your local hobby shop, Hobby Lobby, or whatever is in your area, and look for some white glue for model glass. It will be with the regular model glues. Testors makes an excellent white glue that not only dries perfectly clear, but if you have any smudges, you can literally wash them off with a damp cloth.

Carl

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #3 Schatten, Mar 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good question and interesting answers.

I made some bad mistakes by using Superglue on the clear plastic parts: It works, but after a while it starts to "fog out" the clear plastic. So now I'm using regular plastic cement.

Superglue is still my favourite for die cast models. Almost as good as welding.
    :)

5. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    If you get that fog effect, you can take some automotive rubbing compound or wax and rub it out. Usually that effect is caused by using too much superglue, so apply it with a toothpick, rather than straight from the dispenser.

Carl

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i've been tempted to try and build 1/43's but i've been so worried i'll mess up. I think i'll start building 1/24's first for practice

7. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    good idea....look for the tamiya kits as they are top of the line for quality and ease of assembly....

8. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i have 2 f50 kits in the basement and a few other cars. I'll give them a try this weekend.

9. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    Way cool. Muchas grasias!