328 wheels on a 308- couple questions | FerrariChat

328 wheels on a 308- couple questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dom, Mar 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    My annual bonus came in, so I think I'm going to use some of it to treat myself to a set of 16" wheels for the 308 GT4.

It sounds like one of the cheapest/best sources is the 328 wheels from ferrari UK. But, from what I understand, in order to get them to fit, the front grease caps need to be altered, or some machining may be required.

My question is how difficult is this to do? Is this something that a mechanic will charge me $1000 for, making the wheels a lot more expensive than it seems?

i.e., pricewise, am I better off getting the 16" repro's from superformance?

Is there a US alternative availble for the repro's?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks,
    Dom

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Paul Newman (from this site) can best answer your questions on the 328 wheels as he has a set on his 308. He knows what it takes to get them mounted.

Superformance owns the molds for the 16" repros. The wheels are redistributed by others but source from the same place.

I have a set of reproduction 16" on my '78 GTS.

1. The Superformance reproduction wheels (new) will cost roughly half what used OEM QV wheels would cost, and those would be after refinishing.

2. The Superformance wheels are near perfect copies except for a minor difference in how the face of the rear wheels are offset which most people don't notice and those that do (mostly), don't care.

I have never been questioned if they are reproductions.

3. The Superformance wheels are perfectly round, have virtually no runout and do not require any special considerations to balance.

4. The Superformance wheels with tires mounted weigh between 2 and 3 pounds more (each) than OEM alloys and tires.

5. The finish on the Superformance wheels is beautiful, except when the edges get dinged during shipping. Inspect carefully as soon as you get them!

5. I have a set on my 308 and they run smooth and true with no vibration through all speed ranges.

6. You can buy and install new series one 328 wheels from FerrariUK for less but you have to machine the hubs on the front wheels to fit over the dust cap or machine a new dust cap and then provide a method to mount the plastic cavallino centerpiece. Newman can fill you in on the details.

I am using Yokohama AVS ES100 tires. Good to 168 MPH.. Less than 100.00 USD each from www.tirerack.com.

The size I am using on the front is 225/50-16 and the size on the rear is 245/45-16. No rubbing or interference.

Stock sizes would be 205/50-16 front and the rear
    225/50-16.

The handling of my old '78 308 improved immensely with these new technology tires. It's like a whole new car.

This is what I have and I am quite pleased with the result. Others have different priorities and tastes and have purchased wheels and tires to fit their own requirements. It's all up to you in what is important to you, your car and your wallet.

Good hunting.
    DJ

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I do have a set on my car and you can see them in my profile. The front rim will fit with the dust cap on but the horsie center wont. Turf the cap and the center fits. The trick is to make a dust cap that doesnt stick out as far and I would even go so far as to remove/grind the usless unthreaded portion of the spindle down to clear a lower cap allowing the center to fit. I prefer not to machine a custom raised ring for the front rim duplicating the QV snout for the center. There is info for this ring I mentioned somewhere on this site. I havent made the dust cap but I see no problems in doing so. I love the rims and they are new factory rims. Cant beat that.

4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    So, if I am understanding this correctly, you just removed (turfed?) the dust cap? Or did you make a new one? I saw the thread about making the custom ring, and I would prefer not to do one either. It would be nice if I could just get the center cap to fit in the original hole.

I've also heard someone mention that you can just take a hammer and bang in (dent?) the dust cap so that it fits. Seems crude, but if it doesn't damage anything is that a possibility?

Do you have a closeup photo of what you did?

Thanks,
    Dom

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    One other question. Can I use the original bolts from my stock 14" wheels?

Thanks,
    Dom

6. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I mounted 328 wheels on the front of my '83 308. I used a 13 mm spacer from hill engineering. I did not have to modify the spindle, cap, or wheel. They might prodrude slightly more, but not noticable.

You will need longer bolts also available at Hill Engineering.

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Remember, there are 2 flavors of 328 wheels.

The initial ones had slightly concave spokes were essentially the same as the QV wheels except for the dust cap issue. Most importantly, they had the same offsets as the 308 wheels.

When Ferrari was getting ready to switch to ABS brakes, they switched the 328 to wheels with noticably convex spokes. These wheels had significantly different offsets in order to clear the larger brake caliper ass'y used with the ABS system. These wheels require a spacer when used on a 308.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Good point, non abs rims only. They look better IMO anyway and wouldnt by a 328 with abs for that reason. I set the grease/dust cap aside for the time being out of impatience and now that the car is in a million pieces, ill address it. I will measure up the original cap diameter and scrounge an off make cap that I think I can make work. If I have to grind a 1/4" off the spindle to fit the cap so be it. It wont hurt anything. I used the bolts that held the 14's, the repops I tried, some momo rims and now the 328's without problems. I would first see what a 328 dust cap looks like and go from there. The 14" centers fit the rims by the way, no need for 328 centers.

9. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.

The 328 hub did not have a dust cap. It has a different spindle set up. Take look at the diagram on Ferrari owner's site. I spent alot time looking at a way to make the 328 rims fit wihtout modifying the wheel. Even if you remake the dust cap the wheel will not fit with the logo cap in place.

If you have your car completely apart for restoration you may want to change the front spindle to a 328. It looks like it would bolt right to the A-arms. That would certainly solve the problem.

I woild be curious if that were the case.

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002

Why wouldn't the center cap fit even if you remake the dust cap? How much did the spacer setup w/bolts cost you?

If I'm understanding correctly, according to Newman, the wheels should fit fine using the stock bolts and center cap, once you modify the dust cap.

Has anyone else done this? I'd like to order the 328 non-abs wheels, but I don't want to be the first person to experiment on the dust cap modification, etc. I'd hate to buy the wheels, then find out I can't use my center caps or that I need to do some more exten$ive modification to fit the center caps. Since I'll have a mechanic doing this for me, it will probably cost me alot more than just buying a set of repro's if I need to experiment with different setups.

Thanks again. You'd think buying a set of wheels would be easy.

Dom

11. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9346&highlight=328+wheels

Not expensive, no machining of wheels, no spacers - too easy:)

12. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Hi Jmillard308,

I had seen that thread earlier. I guess I am just trying to figure out why you need to machine that raised ring to get the center caps to fit?

I got the prices from Ferrari UK.

The prices for the wheels are

#125757 - 328 Front - £150.15 each
    #125925 - 328 Rear - £165.45 each

But, shipping is around 80/ wheel, so the total comes out to be L631.2 + 320 for shipping = L951.2 total. I went to a currency converter, and the prices is US dollars comes out to be $1723.48. So, the wheels are not as cheap as we had thought, when you consider shipping.

It sounds like you could pick up a set of repro wheels for about the same price, and not have to BS with dust caps, etc.

The only thing that is stopping me is that I think the 328 wheels would look great on the GT4, and I'd rather have real Ferrari wheels than repro wheels.

Dom

13. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    Hi Dom.

Yeah, the £ is particularly strong against the $ at the moment so it doesn't help. What else do you need for the car that would fit in a wheel box. Would be happy to sweeten the deal for you if I can.

And as you say, be nice to have OE rims from Italy on there !

Cheers.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Dom, you are not the first to put 328 rims on a 308 so just buy them and be glad you have genuine rims for that price. I will rise to the challenge and make a dust cap work with the 328 rim/ 308 spindle combo. Now Im determined to so watch out!

15. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    OK Newman, you've convinced me. I'm going to send out an e-mail to Jeff at Ferrari UK and order the wheels. Please, please, please, keep me updated on the dust cap modification.

Dom

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ill dig out the hubs this week and start scratching my head.

17. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    Dom & Paul,
    After pricing the TRX tires for my 308, I have been reading you posts and will likely follow in your dustcaps. Having been burned on aftermarket components - typically with items which rust, pitt and do not hold up over time, I am am believer in OEM whenever possible! Let us know how this one works out.
    Thanks!
    Carl

18. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    Keep us posted on how it goes with the dust cap Newman.

I fit mine with spacers and longer bolts from Hill Engineering. I think with shipping it came to around $215 for 2 spacers and 10 bolts.

Good luck

19. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard

Dom

The reason is that the dust cap (modified version obviously) projects into the area where the centre cap fits normally. So I just made a neat little extension that accomadates it. BTW this is only required on the front wheels.

20. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    That's what I thought. But, if you are modifying the dust cap already, why can't it be made shorter so that it does not project into the center cap area?

Dom

21. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Because the hub nut/spindle projects too far

No short cuts! :)

Best
    John