NE1 into Drifting? | FerrariChat

NE1 into Drifting?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by need4speed, Feb 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Tomorrow at Irwindale Speedway.

http://www.d1gp.com/

I'd love to learn how to keep the tail out but it's not a clinic. It's a competition. Might be fun.

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Looks like it's going to be one big "Initial D" festival.

3. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Drifting is just awsome!!! It will be when you are having the most fun and being the most scared all at the same time. You push the car right to the edge, and just hold...

In H.S my friends and I would go out to this this road that was nothing but crazy turns for 3 miles at like 2am. And we would park on each side to make sure no one would be on it when someone was driving it.(And if someone did not make it to other side we new they crashed)
    The roads tops speed is 45mph and turns get all the way down to 25mph. When I had my M3 I was able to hold from 85mph all the way to 110mph threw the whole thing.(alot of practice)

4. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Drifting: Figure skating as motorsport.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It's fun but just going around in circles or on a small track woruld get boring.

6. Pacman

Pacman Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    I don't see the point of it. Isn't the purpose of racing to get around the track in the fastest time possible?? Drifting is the slowest way to take a corner.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    actually, this is an incorrect interpretation of what is actually going on in drifting. in drifting you are pushing past the 10/10th's limit. yes, you are in control, yes it is fun, yes it is stylish, but it is not at the limit - it's controlling a car well beyond the limit.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH

LOL! I was at an SCCA event & I overheard some ricer kids talking about driving like that at their first SOLO II event. WTF?! IT A CARTOON FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! If I learned how to drive from old SPEED RACER episodes, I'd be a dead man.

9. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego

O ok, I always thought it was the point where the car is at the edge ofnbreaking loose and staying in a sum what Apex. Thanks for the info thow.

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Pacman, a little drift or kick out is necessary once in a while for a better exit out of a corner, rare, but there are exceptions. :)

11. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I was one of a few Americans to drift on a Japanese drift team during my three and a half years in Okinawa.

12. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Hm I wonder what the general reaction this board has to thread resurrection? Even if it is only a month old.

Anyway then, I went to D1. Fun stuff. The point of drifting has more to do with style and finesse and stunts than racing. Hell they're JUDGED and it’s done purely for entertainment, no bones about it. Multiple runs past the limit because of crowd chants, people drifting/driving their cars while standing out the window, staging events like the Benihana Viper going out and drifting the track. Besides there are a bunch of girls in short skirts/underwear/might as well be naked clothes standing next to the booths.

Plus drifting is damned fun. Sure going for the fastest time is fun, but drifting is just as fun and relies more on skill than car abilities. A guy in a beater like my E30 can drift with a properly set up suspension and no performance mods, and so can a Ferrari. But the guy in the beater might just drift better because he is better, while that Ferrari will almost always run a faster time at a track.

13. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    I almost puked when I read that Pontiac will "race" the new GTO in drifting competition. That car seems to be everything the drifting croud dispises...Large displacement American V8, etc...

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Drifting has to do with control beyond 10/10ths, and its fun, real fun.

However, it is not the FAST way around a race track, and to make a ferrari drift well, you have to set the car up so that it becomes unsuitable for actual road racing.

I don't consider a little oversteer when exiting turns "drifting". Drifting has to do with taking the whole turn and part of the next straight with the car not pointing the the right direction.

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    If you are interested in learning how to drift, I would suggest The Dift Bible, which is a Best Motoring Video. I used to sell a lot of the BM videos, but even buying them at Fry's, beats my cost on the DVD's now. You can pick it up at Amazon.com for a good price too.