328 Coolant Dribble | FerrariChat

328 Coolant Dribble

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ScuderiaRossa, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    My 328 just recently started to lose a small splash of coolant from the expansion tank drain hose. The car does not overheat while being driven, or even at idle. The leak occurs while the car is stopped and idling, just before I turn it off. Its going in this month for regular fluid service, so I'll have this checked out. Radiator fans? (I checked the fuses, they're fine.)

Thanks.

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Mine did this last year, i bled the system via the small 10mm bolt on top of the vermostat, then it stopt. Worth trying.

3. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Chaa,

I have the same problem. Could you please post a picture of the 10 mm bolt on the thermostat you are referring to?

Thanks

Ciao

Eugenio

4. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Bleed your radiator also

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Yes flyinboa i can but it will be tomorrow now. In the mean time i will try to tell you how to locate it. If you look at your engine and look to the right of it, just below the injection plenium again to the right of it you will see there is a half ball shaped alloy part about 1-2 inches across that a large warter hose joins from the right.....thats it, on it you will see the 10mm bolt on top of it. WARNING for F**ks sake dont unscrew it and drop the bloody thing, first time i did it,it took me 3 hours to find it.....bloody thing is right over the cambelts and other pullys. Hope this helps dude.

6. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    How often should that be done? Is it necessary between oil changes or does it depend on how hard you drive it?

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Probably not the fans. You can check the operation of them by simply idling the car until the water temp reaches 195 F. They should both kick on at that time.

8. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Thanks guys. My mechanic said this happens sometimes. The coolant was changed last year, along with a water pump rebuild.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Three things can cause this (typically):

1) Overfilling the system; the coolant level should be 6cm from the filler neck.

2) Bad expansion tank cap

3) Overheating. It is usually the first two....

10. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

My 328 did the same thing after a water pump rebuild last year, i had the Major service done over the winter here and the mechanic said my Expansion cap was bad. They replaced it and i have no problems now...

11. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    I know it sounds a stupid question... How warm must the coolant be before bleeding the air? Again, Please no laught...
    And thanks for the pictures to come.

Ciao

Eugenio

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would be very careful with bleeding air out of the thermostat. I have done it, and got very little air out, but more importantly it has no bleed hole, so as you unscrew it, it basically has to come out, and out comes scalding coolant. One must be very careful doing this hot. Might be safer to try right after a cold start.

Then warm and bleed from the front.

13. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    A mechanic warned my not to blled from the thermostat for reason's already mentioned. Bleed from the radiator with the front of the car slightly inclined. Also, a trick for a better seal for the expansion tank cap is to spread vasoline jell or di-electric grease onto the rubber gaskets within the cap.

14. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If your water level is OK, then in all probability it is the cap. Fcar caps are crap. I once bought a new one that was bad right out of the box. Take the cap to NAPA or similar and spend $5. Bleeding the radiator is important but unlikely the source of your leaking.

Dave

15. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    when i returned home last night and parked the 308 in the garage after running about 20 min. i noticed a small puddle on the floor...it was dripping from the rear passengers side coolant overflow hose...my system is bled properly and filled to the correct level...car is running fine temperature wise and the fans are both operating properly...

...not sure why it would do this..

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Double check the cold coolant level, should be 6cm from the filler neck in the expansion tank. If this is correct, just keep driving it and see if it reaches it's own equalibrium and stops spitting.

If it keeps doing this, then get a new cap.

17. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    but we went away as it was my 45th b'day sunday the 14th...

look forward to driving with you soon..

william

18. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    OK guys, just so I don't get the wrong cap, anyone know what the PSI rating is? My cap has the following text on it: Savara, the letters "C" and "G", and 09 bar.

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Len,
    the .9 bar cap is the older style, the current one is rated at 1.1 bar. 1 bar equals 14.5 psi

20. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Thanks Dave. I almost bought a cap today that was rated at 13 PSI, but I thought I'd check with you guys first.

21. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Similar problem and an easy cure. Bleed at the radiator which I do every time I drive the car, also warm the car up in the driveway with the cap off. It will really help to bleed out any air as soon as the coolant is moving with the
    thermostat open.

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Holy cow, how often do you drive your car? Garage queen? :)

23. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    BTW, older cars don't have the thermostat bleed screw. If you can't find it, that may be why!

24. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Does anyone know of a cross- reference number/ brand for a 1.1 bar expansion tank cap? Does Stant make a cap which would fit? I just brought my stock .9 cap to NAPA and , as soon as they heard Ferrari, no one knew anything.

25. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Also, how about a part # for the .9 bar cap? As my hoses are a little aged, I'm reluctant to pressurize them more than necessary.