Ferrari Production Process | FerrariChat

Ferrari Production Process

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by griffineng, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. griffineng

griffineng Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Seattle
    Hello everyone, I'm not an actual Ferrari owner. However, I am a pretty rabid fan when it comes to anything involving Ferrari. That being said, I came here hoping to perhaps find some guidance.

I'm currently a business student at the University of Washington and I'm researching for a term paper. The class revolves around operations management and one of our choice topics for the paper was:

Production/Supply Chain Management
    Describe the complete manufacture process for one consumer product. Your description should begin with the raw material and finsih with the consumption itself. Describe the role played by suppliers, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers.

Of course, this is a pretty open ended topic and I wanted to do something about Ferrari. I searched for a little bit online for information on Ferrari logistics and what not but I feel like the community here would have more substantial information that I can possibly use.

If anyone here can help me by pointing me in the right direction, it would greatly be appreciated. Any help at all is welcome. Thanks everyone!

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I know your a student and funds may be limited,but my self i think a great place to start is to plan a visit to modena in Italy,try to arrange a trip to the factory if possable,if not the town is full of ferrari history.Now how good would that look in your course work.Also i think its worth mentioning in your project that ferrari never gave a toss about its road car buyers in the early years only useing them to finance his raceing teams,now may be they still dont give a toss but in that new milleneium way.hA! HA!

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Maybe you could ask FNA for a video of their factory or buy one at a dealer. Ive seen in some books that they have their own Aluminum foundry where they place aluminum ingots in molds, melt them down & out come engine parts. Then they build their own engines. They make their own interiors also. The bodys are made at Scaglietti's factory after being designed by Pininfarina and then are trucked to the factory, where they place the bodys on the assembly line. For the carbon fiber I believe they use Pagani as he is one of the biggest CF manufacturers in Italy

4. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I think that the only way you can get a tour of the factory is to own a Ferrari and have the selling dealer set the visit up in advance.

5. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I'm a UW Business School Alum!! As a matter of fact, I served on the finance panel last night in Balmer. Anyway, I took that exact same Op Management course and did my research on Red Hook Brewary. As some have mentioned, your best bet without visiting Maranello would be to call up FNA for a video or check online for some books. I have seen brief write-ups on the 360 manufacturing process -- including information on the hiring of Alcoa (for aluminum body). Would that help?

Go Dawgs!

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    On the Ferrari website there is a movie on the making of the 456GT. link

7. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Scott- there are other ways. It never, EVER hurts to ask!

Best!
    Ben.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    time correction

9. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    That's true, I heard you don't neccessarily have to own a Ferrari to get in. Someone posted their Factory tour experience not too long ago on here and he brought along a non-Ferrari owner friend without any problems.

10. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

A current owner can tour the factory with one guest so that is one way to "tag along". I would suggest a cheaper and possibly more in-depth way of looking at this would be to write to FNA, explain your situation and see if there is any way they might be able to provide you with some written materials which give some details regarding their production processes, corporate partners, etc.
    I do have a book which is dedicated to the 512TR which essentially reviews the entire production process of that model from design to finshed product. It is extremely detailed, including interviews with all of the Department Heads, technical drwaings, explanations of how the bodies are produced off site then sent to Maranello, etc, etc. I don't even know itf they can be purchased anymore. I ordered mine from England. If you are interested I can look at it tonight and email you the name of the publication and other details.

Regards,

Mark